• Tweets

• Yes all works have been completed and we have only just received the final report from Mercedes today (we have had numerous communications from them including photos and videos of work being completed) I can see now in the letter that the word “quotation” was used but this should have read invoice. Doves have been kept aware of the situation and have been in communications with Mercedes themselves, so they are already aware the work was being commenced. 
    • Hi all,   I didn't expect to start really badly with pucharse my new vehicle. 8th June I buy the vehicle from BigMotoringWorld. The car has 10987 and apparently service was done on 10852 mileage . I spend half day in the store to take the car and was even manipulated to buy warranty with is cost a lot money.   Since I left the store car has start to having issues with the breaks. Once i pushed break pedal car starting noising and don't have like power to stop the vehicle ( Pedal must be press to the end to stop )   I start to call them but no one was able to support they was just close the phone... So i decided to read the review about them and I was shocked... I take the decision I will return the vehicle and send them email on 12 June with the issues on breaks and request to return the vehicle. They reply to me 5 days later  In relation to your request to exchange your vehicle, please be advised that we do not have a returns policy on our vehicles. Please can you confirm how the vehicle is noisyssss I was really angry I have to deal with them and car was cosr me £31000 + finance cost so I read your posts in forums and took some advice from others colleges who have similar issues and reply to them as below.   Dear Big Motoring World   I'm writing to you about the car I bought from you for £31000. on 08.06.2024 The car has only 11000 mileage I was thinking is almost brand new however has issues with the breaks. ( Please note the car was apparently serviced 300 mileage ago and break was chaneged )   The breaks make the sound the are not with the good condition. When push the pedal break car is not stopping immediately. I'm not feeling safe to drive anymore with those vehicle. The Consumer Right Act 2015 make It and implied term of the contractI have with Big Motoring World that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. As you are in breach of contract and I've owner the vehicle for less than 6 years ( less than 2 weeks before the issues arose in fact ) I am within my statuatory right to ask for a refund at no futher cost to me.   Please note  I informed Motofinance company and informed about the issues and request to cancelled the agreement.   I look forward to hearing from you within 14 day with details of how you plan to arrange return the vehicle back.   THEN Since I send those email the conversation has completely changed and they reply to me below.   Thank you for email dated 11/06/24   I am sorry to hear that you have had cause to complain   My understanding if your complaint is: Your brakes are grinding and the vehicle is not stopping efficiently. In order to complete our investigation we require some additional information from you. please confirm the following at your earliest convenciance: Please can you confirm if you have visited a local Halford or Kwitfit or other repair agent to carry out a free of charge break health check ? Halford and Kwitfit are able to check your breaks to advice if they require replacement.   In order for me to issue to my response can you please confirm your desired resolution ?   If you feel I have not understood the nature of your complaint correctly, please advise me accordingly.   We will now be investigating this complaint and will aim to respond to you as soon as possible. We will keep you updated with the progress or your complaint in due course      I have really enough with them and just want to close the case and return the car.   Please can you advice what to do ?   Thank you   External Complaints Policy V.2.1 31.05.24 4.pdf.pdf
    • can we have the PCN bothsides to one mass pdf please previous uploads keep being made unavailable ?? dx    
    • <£300 so with a good defence and like most of these small sum util debts, jci will drop it before they have to pay any more fees. dx  
    • Yes but it was for a debt that never existed but to come to the door was a step to far as my wife was quite frightened by it. He showed her a badge like he was official and wanted to talk in private. But after speaking to me she closed the door behind her and told him to post any letter.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Barclaycard Cca Received! - Claim now issued ***SETTLED***

tosh1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4336 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What you have there (via Caro) is an application form with no prescribed terms - irredeemably unenforceable under s.127(3) CCA as it was taken out in 2003.

Did you receive anything else from them that has credit limit, interest rates and payment terms on it that may be 'linked' to the document you've shared so far? If not, they don't have a hope in enforcing in Court. :lol:

What about the Carey v HSBC case where judges are excepting unforceable cca agreements?

That was about recon agreements complying with CCA requests - this is totally different. They haven't even attempted to recreate 'an' agreement, here.

• Haha 1

Comments on post 18:-

ok. I have received a letter (below which I just tyoed in as my scanner is broken) from bc today -

I write further to the letter whereby you note disatisfaction to the documents you received to a request made under section 77/78 of the consumer credit act 1974

Firstly, credit cards are regulated under section 78. Section 78(1) of the act stated that the creditor shall give the debter a copy of the excuted agreement and a statement of account which is practicable to refer. Regarding a statement of account which is practicable to refer, the letters which we send in responce to a section 78(1) request includes this information. To cover the issue of executed agreement.

HOW DOES THE ACT DEFINE AN 'EXECUTED AGREEMENT'?

'Executed agreement' is defined in section 189 of the Act as 'a document, signed by or on behalf of the parties, embodying the terms of a regulated agreement...'

The application that they sent is only signed by you and not by or on behalf of any other parties.

WHAT DO THE RULES SAY ABOUT PROVIDING A COPY?

The consumer credit (cancellation notice and copies of documents) Regulations 1983 ('The Regulations') made under the act deal with how we are to provide a 'copy' of the agreeent. These regualtions provide that any copy of the agreement supplied to a debter should be a 'true' copy. Regulation 3(2) provides that a copy may omit certain information, which allows you to be provided with a true copy, not a complete copy.

It is a copy of the application and not an agreement.

WHAT HAPPENS IF THE ORIGINAL AGREEMENT HAS BEEN VARIED SINCE IT WAS ORIGINALLY SIGNED?

The regulation also set out what should happen where the agreement has been varied since it was signed. Regulation 7 provides creditors with a choice of including in the copy of the executed agreement either a copy of the latest notice of variation relating to each discrete term which has not been varied. Regulation 7 does NOT state that the copy of the agreement shall include a statement of the original terms as well as a statement of the varied terms. Regulation 7 allows us to provide you with a 'true copy' which sets out the terms and conditions current at the time of provision of the copy.

The copy does not include either original or varied terms. I think that you have a copy of some terms and conditions. Were these sent with the application? I'm just wondering if they might try and say that by sending those they have complied. If so, it still doesn't make the application an agreement.

CONCLUSION IN RELATION TO THE DOCUMENT WE HAVE TO PROVIDE

A 'copy' of an agreement will satisfy the requirements even if the signature box and/or the signatures are not included as clarified by regulation 3(2) of the consumer credit (cancellation Notice and copies of documents) Regulations 1983

I still say it's an application and not a "'copy' of an agreement".

The definition of 'executed agreement' refers to a document embodying the terms of the regulated agreement. When this is read with with Regulation 7 - for agreements that have been varied - a copy of the original agreement would not embody its terms. A copy of the agreement as varied would embody its terms.

There is nothing in the application "embodying the terms", varied or otherwise. Just because someone applies for credit, it cannot be assumed that the application was accepted or otherwise.

The issue of what is an executed agreeent has been interpreted in th High Court. It was held that an executed agreement begins as a credit agreement which is sent to the cardholder when they receive their credit card: therefore, establishing what is the original executed agreement. When the agreement has benn varied, Regulation 7 mentioned above applies.

You would not have received the credit card when you signed the application that they sent.

To summarise, if the agreement has not been varied, we must send the origanal executed agreement: this would be the credit agreement which is currently regulated. If the credit agreement has been varied, we must send the current credit agreement as this will contain the terms of the regulated agreement. We have sent you this and the original executed agreement for reference.

This does not make what they sent an agreement. It's an application. I ask again though, did they send any T&C's with the copy of the application? My reason for asking is in case they should try and say that what they sent satisfies what they needed to send. You need to be ready with an answer if they try and bluff this in court.

I hope this letter has helped with your concerns about the documents you have been supplied with under section 78 of the consumer credit act 1974. As our response fulfils the obligation under Section 78 of the Consumenr Credit Act 1974, you should carry on paying the debt you have accured on your account. We do not class the account in dispute, as you have been supplied with the relevent documentation under Section 78 of the Consumenr Credit Act 1974 and we will carry on with collection serices.

That might be their opinion, but personally I would say that the account is still in dispute due to their failure to comply with your CCA request.

Yours Sincerly

Court Orders and Disclosures.

My comments in red are my simply the way I see it as a non-legal person. I have also made the assumption that what they've said about the various sections of the act are correct.

IMHO this letter was devised to make you think they've done what they have to to fulfil their obligations under the Consumer Credit Act to make you think you should be paying.

If this gets to court I would suggest that you argue these points. Make it very clear that you have offered to make payments despite their failure to comply with your request for a copy of the agreement. Also make clear that you only want to pay back what you believe that you owe, and you haven't been provided with the information that you need to assess accurately what this is either before or since they started the court claim. You think they may have added items that you don't think you owe in their claim, which has not been clearly particularised. You aren't even clear if they've added PPI from what was sent, and you aren't sure if they have added it whether it was mis-sold. There is also the matter of charges that they may have added which further cloud the issue.

As I'm not the best on CCA stuff, I hope that others will feel free to comment.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

An application can be an agreement, but it needs to contain the prescribed terms - if they were sent, but aren't part of the document ("the application") then it's unenforceable.

Don't worry about them not signing it, as that wouldn't make it unenforceable, only enforceable by a Court order. (s.65)

The letter in post 18 is misleading. Dangerous for them given the issues in CPUTR in the link I posted about :thumb:

So even if they sent T&Cs, they aren't part of the application/agreement so irrelevant. Thanks for the clarification Car. :-)

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

so i am in the process of doing the cpr should i then also the sar to them also?

Just so that I understand. They currently have an unforceable agreement which is an application form, I have not recieved any paperwork with credit limits or interest rates on there.

I am willing to pay but just what I owe and nothing more. How would/could i defend this?

hi

I want to send this off to Howard to organise my defence. can someone please give it the once over.

I have already told the court the i have acknowledged it and will be defending. Do i need to send them anything else?

Dear Sir,

Re: v Case No:

CPR 31.14 Request

On 12/08/11 I received the Claim Form in this case issued by you out of Northampton County Court.

I confirm having returned my acknowledgement of service to the court in which I indicate my intention to contest all of your claim.

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of the documents mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

1 The Agreement. A copy of the signed, executed Credit Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the signed originals should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract, both at inception and as amended, should also be attached.

2 The Notice of Assignment included proof of delivery and method.

3 The Default Notice - a true copy of the Default Notice, and /or a copy of the relevant communications log showing issuance, plus proof and method of posting.

4 A full statement of account showing how the amount claimed is calculated

5, As you have fully complied to my request of an SAR you have 28 days in which to do so.

Please ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the documents I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter, in compliance with CPR 31.15(b).

Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request. In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Do the SAR as well, why not...

The application form is currently unenforceable as it doesn't contain the prescribed terms. Replies to the CPR/SAR will confirm this.

If you're willing to pay, this will mean you start from a strong negotiation position on the outstanding balance - they won't want an unenforceable debt on their books, so any reasonable attempt at settlement should get them thinking. I'd say a without prejudice offer of something you can afford, along with a defence to their claim, should do the trick ;)

Let's worry about the defence when you need it - you can't do anything until the CPR has been responded to. If they drag their feet, we'll be notifying the Court and asking for extra time to defend, or forcing their compliance with your CPR request if need be... Patience, my young padawan...

Not until they sufficiently particularise their claim and provide you with the supporting documentation, no. We'll just need to know when they've replied to your requests for more information or if there's 4/5 days before the Defence is due at this stage.

In meantime, look back over the thread and make sure you understand everything that has happened so far. It's the use of this time to 'prepare' yourself for your arguments at a later date that will get you more comfortable with what to expect, etc, in the process to come.

Car, do you think that tosh should also ask for the termination notice. Also the letter says that they've fully complied with the SAR which I don't believe they have, or why do a new one?

I also wonder if 14 days to respond to the CPR is enough instead of the 28 mentioned in the letter.

Shouldn't Tosh be asking for an extension to the time to defend too?

This is the letter that is ready to post -

How would I go about getting an extension from the court?

On 12/08/11 I received the Claim Form in this case issued by you out of Northampton County Court.

I confirm having returned my acknowledgement of service to the court in which I indicate my intention to contest your entire claim.

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of the documents mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

1 The Agreement. A copy of the signed, executed Credit Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the signed originals should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract, both at inception and as amended, should also be attached.

3 The Default Notice - a true copy of the Default Notice, and /or a copy of the relevant communications log showing issuance, plus proof and method of posting.

4 A full statement of account showing how the amount claimed is calculated

Please ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the documents I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter, in compliance with CPR 31.15(b).

Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 requests.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request. In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I'm working out that dates. I think im going to need an extension. 7 days from the date they recieve it which if they recieve it on Tuesday 30th which will only give me 3 working days to file a defence and get this sent off to Northampton. What do you think?

This is the letter that is ready to post -

How would I go about getting an extension from the court?

I confirm having returned my acknowledgement of service to the court in which I indicate my intention to contest your entire claim.

4 The Termination Notice

5 A full statement of account showing how the amount claimed is calculated

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 requests.

I wouldn't offer to pay for their costs.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order. Please confirm in writing your agreement to the extension of time to file my defence.

In the letter you have already asked for 14 days from the date of their compliance with your CPR. I would be inclined to give them 14 days to comply and ask them for 28 days from that date. When you have their agreement in writing let the court know about it.

Car, do you think that tosh should also ask for the termination notice. Also the letter says that they've fully complied with the SAR which I don't believe they have, or why do a new one?

I also wonder if 14 days to respond to the CPR is enough instead of the 28 mentioned in the letter.

Shouldn't Tosh be asking for an extension to the time to defend too?

Has there already been a SAR done?

14 days is more than enough.

We will need the term notice.

We know this game, Caro, don't we... They won't reply in time, we can't ask for additional time to defend, so we'll try a holding defence to comply with the court's orders and seek to amend when (if!) they do comply, me thinks...

Hi Car2403. The SAR stuff is computer printouts. I don't understand how to read these.It does not show interest, ppi and bank chanrges.

Posted the cpr reqest this morning to Howard.

Yes, the problem is that the DPA covers data - data is what they've sent. They should be supplying information to allow you to decipher it, however.I'm guessing a response to the CPR request will 'fill the gaps'.In reply to your CCA request, though, they should be supplying statements showing how the account balances are made up - see s.78(1)(a), (b) and s.78(4).