style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5659 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have a question about Bailiffs.

I work at a student residence.

Its a private Building.

The entry is security protected, and there are signs saying no unauthorised personel allowed on site. Please come to reception for all queries.

A bailiff came today, tailgated students into the building, and went to the flat of some student, intimidated them about a PREVIOUS resident, then left a first notice, not in a envelope with them.

They refused to show a warrent, and now tell my manager (the landlord) that they do not have to tell us the warrent number, and they that are allowed access whenever they please.

Can I have some advice how to obtain the warrent number and stop them comming on private property where their clients used to PREVIOUSLY live?

Thank you,

Sarita

A bailiff came today, tailgated students into the building, and went to the flat of some student, intimidated them about a PREVIOUS resident, then left a first notice, not in a envelope with them.

Well if they were told, which I'm sure they were, that the person they sought no longer lived there, then they should have left apologising for the intrusion.

A first notice normally comes with a demand for money and if they have demanded money from a person that they don't have any right to speak to and what's more know it - then I believe that is called harassment, and also fraud (2006 act).

They refused to show a warrent, and now tell my manager (the landlord) that they do not have to tell us the warrent number, and they that are allowed access whenever they please.

Actually they aren't completely wrong

The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992

Distress

45.— (5) The person levying distress on behalf of an authority shall carry with him the written authorisation of the authority, which he shall show to the debtor if so requested; and he shall hand to the debtor or leave at the premises where the distress is levied a copy of this regulation and Schedule 5 and a memorandum setting out the appropriate amount, and shall hand to the debtor a copy of any close or walking possession agreement entered into.

Now strictly speaking they only need to show that to the debtor, so I suppose they are within their rights not to show you.

But since the debtor no longer lives there, you should write to the bailiffs advising them of that and warning them that if they call again regarding this person you will be checking the individual bailiffs details against the central register. That any person failing to identify him or herself as a bailiff with a current cert will be treated accordingly.

There are lots of template letters which you can modify, and you can even charge them for the administrative cost of dealing with their unlawful behaviour - figures of £1500 to £5000 have been bandied about on this site.

Edited by chris600uk
I don't want to appear unreasonable, and needed to correct an obvious mistake

The bailiff can quite lawfully to enter a property and do so almost when they please. That's why they have to be a certificated bailiff. You dont need a warrant number, but a bailiff must say which court issued his certifricate when asked. If you explain to the bailiff the person they want is gone then the bailiff should quietly leave the premises. There is nothing for him to take. If he refuses then tell the bailiff you will report him to his certificating court for misfeasance. He'll walk away that much quicker.