Natwest....advice Please?

*STARBRITE*
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5654 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone this is my first post so hope I'm doing it right?

I really need some advice about a situation I've got with natwest!

A couple of weeks ago BT took a dd out of my bank account for £75.65.They shouldn't of done this as I had cancelled my dd's with them two weeks earlier .There wasn't enough money in the account so it was returned to them unpaid.So on the same day Natwest took £76 of charges(BT tried to take the money in two amounts so NW charged me twice)out of my account for unpaid items,making me go overdrawn.BT told me to go to Natwest make an indemnity claim against BT and the charges would be refunded to me,so this is what I did.One week later £75 had been put in my account saying it was a BT refund so I thought great its all sorted.Then three days later I went to my bank account and it was overdrawn again by £75 and stated that it was a returned entry of the £75 that had been refunded three days previous.

I tried speaking to BT and Natwest but they are just giving me the run around and getting me in a tangle!

Also I always thought that when a bank puts charges on your account they had to tell you and give you notice.Am I wrong about that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a single parent I've just lost my job and really can't afford to lose £75.Thanks

Hi and welcome to CAG.

I think you need to remind NatWest of their direct debit guarantee as you cancelled the DD. The bank are required to give you a full immediate refund. If you don't get any luck in branch you will need to go through their official complaints procedure. This should be done in writing.

More info regarding the DD guarantee is here BBA – British Bankers' Association - Direct Debit Guarantee

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Can anyone help - my daughter has a loan with Nat West - she spoke to them 3 months ago telling them she would have to miss a couple of payments which they did not like - she heard nothing further and then this month when she was paid - they took 3 payments out of her account without telling her so she had no money left - when she phoned they said she had signed to say they could - I don't believe this is right without notification - they are being particularly difficult with her and have left her no money for the rest of the month - what can she do ?

Hi nattikins and welcome to CAG

Snatch west are goverened by the agreement which dictates one monthly payment per month by DD.Unfortunatly unless requested and agreed in writing payment holidays are hard to secure.However if she calls them and is insistant that they they cant take the two payments in one go they will refund the dd,but she must secure agreement to make up the missing payments when convienient and appropiate to her income.

Regrards

Andy

You should really start your own thread as this is hijacking startbrites

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi and welcome to CAG.

I think you need to remind NatWest of their direct debit guarantee as you cancelled the DD. The bank are required to give you a full immediate refund. If you don't get any luck in branch you will need to go through their official complaints procedure. This should be done in writing.

More info regarding the DD guarantee is here BBA – British Bankers' Association - Direct Debit Guarantee

Thanks for the advice rory.Unfortunately not had any look so I'm now going to write an official complaint and see if that gets me any where.The women I spoke to at Natwest,you would of thought it was her personel money not the banks!They are so unhelpful!:evil:

Unfortunately this was not a Direct Debit it was a Standing Order - does anyone know if this is cancelled, and then re-set up for a later month can Nat West still just take the money out of someone's account. Without notification and some 3 months later - they told my daughter she was lucky

Same would apply as your daughter kept proof of cancelation

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Standing orders vary from direct debits in that a standing order is the customers instructions to the bank to pay a set amount, to a named beneficiary, at regular intervals (say on the 1st of the month) – either for a specific period of time or until cancelled.

A standing order requires the customer’s bank to send the money. A direct debit requires the beneficiary to claim the money.

As the standing order was cancelled no such instruction existed for the bank to send any money. This is very clearly the banks error.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.