Thames Credit

lrx28
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5686 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I've just received a letter from Thames Credit, asking me to call them to confirm my address (or else have something put on my file or some nonsense). Having checked my credit files, I came across something on Callcredit - an old overdraft that I'd pretty much forgotten about. There's a default on there, from July 2002. I'm quite confident that this debt is statute barred, and there's no mention of any CCJs. My only worry is that the credit file says I have a default listed in the last 36 months for that previous address, but when I go into it the default is from July 2002. Aktiv Kapital have however 'updated' my file. I'm not sure what this means. Will people searching my credit file think that I've defaulted in the last three years?

I don't know what my next move should be... should I call Thames Credit and sort this out, or just ignore their letter? I don't see why I should bother calling them when they're chasing a debt they know is unenforcible. Can they harrass me at my address, even though they don't know for sure that it's me? I'm worried that if I call them they'll get hold of my number and make my life hell. On the other hand, I'd rather not bury my head in the sand. I'm a bit nervous about the sort of tactics they could employ. Any advice?

Thanks, Liam

Thames are well known for chasing statute barred debts. If you have neither made a payment towards or acknowledged the debt in 6 years it will be barred by the statute of limitations act 1980.....sned letter 'M' from here by recorded delivery and don't hand sign it... LETTER 'M' - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Thanks 42Man!

I'm a little concerned about some of the wording in letter M. I have moved since this default, and I guess Thames Credit have tried to contact me in the past. How do I know that they haven't tried to contact me? If they've sent a letter (or possibly managed to fabricate one) will the debt not be statute barred? I'm sure I haven't acknowledged the debt myself.

Thanks again, Liam

If it was me in your shoes I would send it....bear in mind if they carry on trying to collect, this is what the OFT say.... -

2.14 (b) -

continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they

will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to

harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of

Justice Act 1970.