Excluded from profession - do I need to tell current employer?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5696 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I was dismissed from a previous job 2 years ago now for gross misconduct.

After I managed to get an agency job tempting, kept my nose clean and secured a reference when I moved on to another permanent role.

I have since left and started another permanent role.

My employment at the company I was dismissed from has been disclosed on my CV as there was no need to contact them for a reference.

The reasons behind my dismissal were reported to my professional Institute and I have since been excluded from here and I will not allowed to be readmitted for 5 years.

My question is - do I need to tell my current employer.

I was obviously still a member at the time of applying, being offered the job and joining.

My thoughts are if I stay here for 5 years and I am readmitted to my Institute within that time, that no employers should ever need to know!

I would appreciate anyones thoughts on this!

Thanks.

Difficult one this James, depends on what your profession is and whether you are using these same professional skills in your new job although I understand your point that at the time you got the job you were still a member of your institute, trouble is if anyone finds out you could find yourself out of a job anyway!:(

Is being a member of the institute a requirement for the job?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

It depends on a number of factors; is your profession a regulated profession whereby registration is mandatory to practice (eg. medicine, dentistry, psychology, physiotherapy, midwifery, architecture, law etc.) or is it simply a professional organisation (such as IOSH, ILM, CIPD, CMI etc.)? Is it a condition of your employment you maintain registration? Is it necessary for the performance of your job to mantain membership?

If I've been helpful, please add to my rep. :)

Hi there

Thanks for your responses.

The qualification gained from the Institute was a requirement for the job an the experience that goes with it.

I am not a practising member of the Institute, though I obviously work in the same field but within a large organisation rather than providing a service to the public.

I obviously use the same professional skills that I have learned from my past experience.

I do not think it is a requirement of the job to maintain registration, but I guess it would be expected.

Main point is, my knowledge and experience that this company rely on is still the same, I just am not a member of this Institute for a while.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you.

My contract is just a standard contract of employment - it does not state anywhere within that I need to be, nor need to maintain membership of the Institute.

If it was part of the job requirements at the application stage, could my employer not claim that it was deemed to be a requirement?

Many thanks.

I do not think it is a requirement of the job to maintain registration, but I guess it would be expected.

Presumably there is a cost for such maintenance? Do the company reimburse this? If not, I fail to see how that can insist on you having it. If they do, they may well notice the lack of claim/payment anyway.