Bus Lanes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5814 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, just wondering what peoples experiences of bus lane fines is ? I have been sent a penalty notice, & a couple of shots from video footage showing me partially moving into the bus lane (i was indicating to turn left whilst approaching lights, & i did turn left at the lights). On the photos i see i do not have both sets of wheels completely in the marked bus lane, & i am fairly cloose to the lights. Do i deserve a fine ??? Also on their notice it says i cannot make a representation until after 28 days has elapsed, & i have received an enforcement notice. I have written before the 28 days stating the above, & from what i saw of the regulations, i could make a representation at any time.

Any thoughts ?

The bus lane line is solid and the highway code states "You must not cross or straddle a solid white line".

I would write and complain if you have not crossed the line or drove in the bus lane for sure.

You will probably find that they have you I'm afraid. One of the nastier practices of the current powers that be it to end bus lanes far too close to traffic lights and entrap people into crossing the white line of death. IMO it's a deliberate money making tactic.

It most certainly is, and I seriously believe that this government don't give a toss about safety, it's all about generating revenue. It's the motorists that pay for the roads in new car tax, petrol tax, VAT, parking fees and fines, insurance premium tax, road fund licence etc. and most of it is spent on traffic calming schemes that only serve to gridlock town centres (more fuel used = more tax £££).

Get the chance to go over 30mph and the cameras will have you and that's another £60 to the government + the extra tax they will make on your insurance premium hike.

Try stopping even. You can't park anywhere without having to pay again; you're paying to park on the roads that you already paid to build and continue to pay to maintain via other taxes. Why should we have to put money in a parking meter to park on the roads we paid to build? How can it even be legal that you can park on one road for free but have to pay to park on another road? It's bizarre!

Our council introduced a resident's parking scheme, which means I now have to pay to park outside my own house (annual permit). Thanks very much. Those who live in the next street are NOT in a resident's parking zone so they get to park for free. I pay the same council tax as they do so why should I have to pay again?

We paid for those bus lanes, why can't we use them? It's OUR road. :mad:

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

My mother and a friend were driving through London, on her way to visit her terminally ill brother and she has since received an enforcement notice from Transport for London for the “alleged contravention of being in a bus lane during the hours of operation.”

The time of the alleged offence was 20.27 and it was along Chiswick High Road, W4. The roads were not congested and clearly there were no buses in the bus lane at the time.

My mother cannot remember who was driving neither does she recall driving into the bus lane. The fine is £100!

The alleged offence was on 03/06/06 and the date of the notice was 17/07/06. Further, at the top of the notice in bold type it states “Liability for the penalty charge lies with you, the owner.” It then goes on to detail the car registration number and the penalty charge notice.

Any thoughts on this?

I have suggested she asks for a copy of the video taped evidence that they apparently hold but aside from that, I think she will just have to pay.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Hagenuk,

I found this with a quick Google search:-

Statutory Instrument 1997 No. 2402

If you scroll down you will see the permitted hours of the bus lane are 7am-7pm Monday to Friday.

This is also in the link too:-

(3) The controls specified in article 3(1) do not apply in respect of -

• (a) a vehicle entering or stopping in a bus lane so as to avoid an accident;

(b) a vehicle entering or stopping in a bus lane to allow a person to get or give help in consequence of an accident or emergency or otherwise take action for public safety;

© a vehicle crossing a bus lane in order to get to or from any road adjacent to the bus lane or any vehicular access to premises adjacent to the bus lane;

(d) a vehicle being in a bus lane to such an extent and for such a time as is needed to comply with any requirement resulting from works or an emergency in any part of the road adjoining the bus lane;

(e) a vehicle being used for ambulance, fire brigade or police purposes;

(f) a vehicle stopping in a bus lane if it has lawfully entered the bus lane and it has to stop -
    • (i) by law;

(ii) to avoid an accident;

(iii) in circumstances beyond the drivers control;

• I hope this helps you.

Edit. Ignore the above. It seems they changed it to a 24 hour bus lane in 1999

Statutory Instrument 1999 No. 2127

Sorry :-(

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Excellent post, many thanks for that information.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Next thing to check is that the bus lanes were actually in operation. This varies from place to place (and in fact in Aberdeen from lane to lane), but if the camera happened to snap you when the lanes aren't operating then you actually contravened no law. Also check at the location that the bus lanes have the required signs stating the hours of operation.

BoS:- D P A sent 09/06 Prelim. request 29/06 £1755 plus interest

1st claim Filed 5/10/06 SETTLED 19/10 £747.80 plus £534.31 interest

• 1 year later...

Where do we stand on Bank Holidays? Christmas Day and Good Friday especially, as the are religious holidays? The signs do not specify 'including bank holidays' or 'free on bank holidays'. They just show the hours of operation near me. That is '8-10am' and then '5-7pm' 'Mon-Fri'. No mention of bank holidays! Surely these two days in particular are equivalent to a Sunday most people would assume this.

Missla

This thread is nearly two years-old; perhaps you should have started your own new one.

However, the relevant legislation does not recognise Public Holidays as any different from normal days - unless specifically detailed in the TRO and signed as such.

If there is no signage, then a bank holiday Monday is simply a Monday and any restrictions that apply on a 'normal' Monday, still apply.

This thread is nearly two years-old; perhaps you should have started your own new one.

However, the relevant legislation does not recognise Public Holidays as any different from normal days - unless specifically detailed in the TRO and signed as such.

If there is no signage, then a bank holiday Monday is simply a Monday and any restrictions that apply on a 'normal' Monday, still apply.

I am new to this, if I knew how to start a new thread maybe I would have done so!

I think this is outrageous. As if we don't get penalized enough. Some councils are really taking us to the cleaners. I am going to continue to try and fight it. Any suggestions with letter templates would come in very handy please!

Missla

Easy, go to the main catagory, in this case here its General Knowledge and you will see at the top left a button saying new thread.

Click that and your able to add a title and then the post content, and thats it.

Laters

PS,

Read the FAQ here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_posting

I am new to this, if I knew how to start a new thread maybe I would have done so!

Easy, go to the main catagory, in this case here its General Knowledge and you will see at the top left a button saying new thread.

Click that and your able to add a title and then the post content, and thats it.

Laters

PS,

Read the FAQ here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_posting

Sorry! Just angry at the way they can do what they want with fines. They just seem to put legislation in place without clear boundaries.

Regards

Missla

Why should we have to put money in a parking meter to park on the roads we paid to build? How can it even be legal that you can park on one road for free but have to pay to park on another road? It's bizarre!

Our council introduced a resident's parking scheme, which means I now have to pay to park outside my own house (annual permit). Thanks very much. Those who live in the next street are NOT in a resident's parking zone so they get to park for free. I pay the same council tax as they do so why should I have to pay again?

We paid for those bus lanes, why can't we use them? It's OUR road. :mad:

Bit contradictory, you have resident parking which stops other motorists from parking there! Can't have it both ways.

Yes, but they shouldnt have to pay for the privilege to be fair...

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Hello

This morning I rec'd an Unpaid penalty charge of £427.29 form a Collection service company. (bailiffs) They have informed me that I have note paid the penalty charge which i know nothing about this is the first notification I have had. the contravention was for Being in a bus lane . I have no date nor evidence for this offence.

I'm not sure what to write to these people and they want to recieve disputes by writing. Plaese advise many thanks

Val183