• Tweets

• Ok, so just been to see my friend, she still has her head firmly in the sand and had a pile of unopened post, thankfully nothing serious apart from this case!    In answer to your question it says N24 General Directions Order at the bottom of the page, then on page 2 where the line says "As a result of an order made on the 1 May 2024, this claim has been transferred to the county court at ##### (friends local court) " this is N271 Notice of transfer of proceedings.  Within the stack of letters I found 2 from Kearns Solicitors,    02-12-2022 Document pack with covering letter stating under the s78 CCA please see enclosed  1) A copy of the executed Credit Agreement, 2)  A copy of the terms & conditions 3) A copy of the varied terms & conditions applicable at termination / assignment, and  4) A statement regarding the conduct of your account as requested by s78(1)(a) to (c)  (Would you like me to describe the documents attached?)   18-02-2023 Generic letter asking for her to contact them to discuss settlement or they will take to court for further legal action. 
    • well you made the cardinal sin by phoning these scammers at least once so their persistence could go on. however you are new so there you go. you never ever ever phone any of these likes of scammers on these fake schemes that seem plausible.  just like a DCA chasing any old debt .. they are NOT BAILIFFS and have  ZERO legal powers to actually do anything. dx  
    • Okay understood now just based on personal experience how long does this go on for 
    • civil recovery schemes run by the likes of RLP DWF etc etc are a scam. totally IGNORE EVERYTHING. no if's or but's dx  
    • I’m 17 years old and Received 2 letters from dwf with my name spelt wrong and they are asking for for £230.40. I rang dwf civil recovery the first time upon taking advice from citizens advice to explain to delay to deadline as I was in the process of receiving advice which wasn’t much help. When that deadline was done I then called again to delay the deadline as I’m struggling financially and it’s lot of money they are asking for and I tried to dispute the cost to which they said okay we will delay it another 7 days for you to dispute the cost but I asked them how do I dispute this to you or Sainsbury’s and they said “we can’t advise you on this matter” I’ve read a lot of threads saying to ignore them but I was unsure now as I’ve made contact and have tried to dispute the payment and pay it which might mean I have admitted. Would they just persist harder and take me to court eventually or file for a ccj.   I would like to ignore them still but I would like to send a strong email so they know I’m clued up and then ignore them. I also want to pay the reasonable amount and get this matter solved. any advice on the law or similar situations are helpful when I called them I asked for an itemised bill. £101 stolen goods  ( supposedly caught me because they watched me on cctv over the duration of the week) also why did they not stop me in the first day. £20.40 recovered goods £150 security costs     Thank you 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bailiff levied my car so worried as I need it for work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5689 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I am sick with worry, I started a thread on 18th Sept in regards to my council tax. I was advised to sell my car to a family member, which I have done, the car is now on lone to myself for a short period of time. I have just started a new job as a community support carer and have been so busy, so driving is essential to get around,

I was ill today and had to dash home to use the toilet facilites, and in my haste just parked the car in my drive.

The Bailiff turned up just as I was leaving the premises and said he had seized the car. I told him I need the car for my work, not my problem he said.

He posted through the door when I had gone Notice of seizure of goods

saying I have this day seized, distrained and impounded the goods and chattels listed on the attached inventory stating 1,298.19 arrears I have offered to pay £40.00 a month but they refused ,so I paid the council £40 in Sept as the first payment I sent to the Bailiff they only paid the council a portion of the money as they took their charges out first.

Please can anyone tell me how do I stand now as they say I have now to pay 1,401.00 within 5 days from today which I cannot do as I do not get paid until the end of Oct there is £18.00 attendance fee 61.00 Levy Fees and 24.50 Redemption of goods fees (Head H)

It also states that I will be charged for the removal transport and the auctioneers fees.

I feel such an idiot,

I do hope someone can advise, I am just so worried as I will not be able to work without the car.

Brown Eyes 1

Edited by brown eyes1
amends

Hi Again, would it be prudent to move the car away from the area? just incase they decide to clamp it?

I am sorry for being a total plonker on this, I don't have anyone i can talk to about this, I have my 11year old granddaughter living with me and don't want her to be worried by this as she has gone through a bad time recently

It was just a thought.

I do appreciate any advice I can get on this, also should I telephone the Bailiff again and tell him again that I need my car for the work? he did leave a number on the letter, or should I write to them again, I have to pay within 5 working days, now I am in work again I should be able to pay a little more but I would rather pay the council not the Bailiff

Thank you for your help

Brown Eyes1

Edited by brown eyes1
missed out some words and spelling

I was advised to sell my car to a family member,

If you have sold the car before their levy, then they cant touch it.

Of course the sale date must be BEFORE the levy date.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

Hi Tonycee,

I had a PM from someone last night advising me to go to another website, first it took me to the teletubbies and when I put in the url seperate they wanted me to pay for all the downloads, I found it very strange to get an PM to tell me this.

Any way thanks for the advice, I have not signed anything the bailiff gave me nor have I let him into my home and don't intend to.

I have emailed the council again asking them to take back the debt as I have been paying them online and emailing them also, what I don't understand this is for my 2008-2009 council tax. I was ill at the end of last year had a nervous breakdown due to me losing my long standing job of 14 years, several family problems bailing my daughter out etc: have my 11year old grandaughter living with me also. So this Bailiff thing is just the last straw. I am 57 and feel like a total failure for letting myself get into this mess. I'm divorced and I don't really have anyone else I can go to.

I am so thick when it comes to things like this.

thank you for your help.

bestest

Brown eyes1

Edited by brown eyes1
adding something on here

If the car was sold before their levy on it, then its no longer yours to be levied on, and there is nothing they can do.

However if you have not done all the necessary paperwork signed and dated BEFORE the levy, then there is not much you can do.

Apart from lie, which i wouldnt want anything to do with.11_4_125v.gif

How much is the car worth ? Is there any HP on it ?

The account for 2008/09 will be deemed liable in full, in advance, after a liability order is gained.

The procedure is normally 2 warnings, then 3 rd time your out.

Its the government, they can do it.

Finally, dont beat yourself up, im sure you are doing your best for all.

If consecutive governments insist on taxing us to death, what can we do ?

sig.jsp?pc=[object Object]&pp=ZNxdm824YYGB

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

The car is not worth very much it's an S reg but not sure. no not on HP unfortunately. But hey thats not my problem all the paperwork states that it was sold before levy date, though I did have to tax it before I got the money, so had to do this on the actual Levy date. so sold for the price of the 6 mths tax

Then you must forward proof of sale, dated accordingly, to the bailiff company, and the DVLA.

Be prepared to expect them to throw their toys out of their prams.

Expect them to challenge what you are fowarding to them, but if its all correct, then i dont see what they can do other than take you through the courts, which i doubt very much they will do.

• Haha 1

whoops had not finished and pressed send Doh! lie me I am a granny and have never lied

Docs sent off so not mine anymore.

It's hard not to beat up on yourself though, especially when I was always so sensible before all the hassles began.

Many Thanks for you help.

;)

Edited by brown eyes1
amends made

I just wanted to add that i am not encouraging anybody to commit any form of fraud here.

I am simply stating a fact that if,

You sold the car on a Tuesday, the bailiffs cannot levy on it on the Wednesday, as its not yours anymore.

End of.

Then you must forward proof of sale, dated accordingly, to the bailiff company, and the DVLA.

Be prepared to expect them to throw their toys out of their prams.

Expect them to challenge what you are fowarding to them, but if its all correct, then i dont see what they can do other than take you through the courts, which i doubt very much they will do.

thank you Tonycee

You need to WRITE a letter to the bailiff company. I have adapted one of the template letters for you. This of course can be changed or adapted as you wish.

To:

Bailiff Company

Dear Sirs,

Re: Account reference.

I refer to your notice left at my home to advise me that your bailiff has seized a motor vehicle in my drive and that you now require a sum of £1,401 within 5 days or the vehicle will be removed.

The purpose of this letter is to advise your company that I am not the owner of this vehicle. I merely have the use of it. DVLA have recently been informed of the change of ownership and I understand that their records should reflect this change in a week or two. I have spoken with the new owner and he/she has expressed their willingness to swear a Statutory Declaration as proof if your company require this. In any event, I work as a Community Support Worker and a vehicle is vital to my employment.

I would like to make it clear that I am not refusing to pay this debt, and this has been demonstrated by my payments of £40 per month etc, etc, Due to my financial circumstances I am unable to increase this repayment at this present time.

I would like to advise your company that I am the carer for my 11 year old granddaughter who lives with me and at the end of last year I suffered a nervous breakdown. For this reason, I cannot allow a bailiff from your company to come into home and I would therefore like to request that consideration be given to returning this debt back to the local authority.

Could your please confirm receipt of this letter, a copy of which is being sent to my Local Authority.

Yours Faithfully.

WELCOME BACK TOMTUBBY.

I have soooo missed you.

A true legend returns.

You need to WRITE a letter to the bailiff company. I have adapted one of the template letters for you. This of course can be changed or adapted as you wish.

To:

Bailiff Company

Dear Sirs,

Re: Account reference.

I refer to your notice left at my home to advise me that your bailiff has seized a motor vehicle in my drive and that you now require a sum of £1,401 within 5 days or the vehicle will be removed.

The purpose of this letter is to advise your company that I am not the owner of this vehicle. I merely have the use of it. DVLA have recently been informed of the change of ownership and I understand that their records should reflect this change in a week or two. I have spoken with the new owner and he/she has expressed their willingness to swear a Statutory Declaration as proof if your company require this. In any event, I work as a Community Support Worker and a vehicle is vital to my employment.

I would like to make it clear that I am not refusing to pay this debt, and this has been demonstrated by my payments of £40 per month etc, etc, Due to my financial circumstances I am unable to increase this repayment at this present time.

I would like to advise your company that I am the carer for my 11 year old granddaughter who lives with me and at the end of last year I suffered a nervous breakdown. For this reason, I cannot allow a bailiff from your company to come into home and I would therefore like to request that consideration be given to returning this debt back to the local authority.

Could your please confirm receipt of this letter, a copy of which is being sent to my Local Authority.

Yours Faithfully.

Many Many Thanks TomTubby, I appreciate your help very much, I have drafted out the letter and am sending 1st thing Monday registered post

Tonycee has been extremely helpful to me today also, I was about to through in the towel this morning.. I will keep you informed as to the outcome of the letter..

Thank you

Brown Eyes1

Hi there,

Just to let you know I had a reply back from the Bailiff have posted it below.

Can't pay them this much, and don't really want to pay them either want to pay the council, I don't get paid until the 24th Oct any suggestions on a reply to them? I am sure the charges keep changing, as the price on bailiff letter was 1.401.00.

Thank you for you help so far.

Brown Eyes1

Dear Madam,

We acknowledge receipt of your email the contents have been noted.

We confirm that your proposal of payment is unacceptable.

We are prepared to accept payment as follows:

£ 280.69 by 13/10/08 with 4 MONTHLY amounts of £270.00

Payments must be made direct to ourselves in cash, postal orders, or by banker’s draft. Cheques are also acceptable except where payment of a previous cheque sent to us, by you has not been met by your bank.

Payment can also be made by CREDIT or DEBIT CARD by telephoning our office on the above number. (Note: All card payments are subject to a surcharge). You may find that, depending on the size of the payment, this is less than the cost of buying Postal Orders.

A receipt will only be issued if you send a stamped addressed envelope with your payment. Your reference number is ********, this must be included with your payment and written clearly on any letters which you send to us.

We have attached a questionnaire for you to complete and return to us in order for us to up date our records accordingly.

With reference to the seized vehicle belonging to a third party, we confirm that we will be confirming the owner of the vehicle with the

DVLA.

If you fail to make payment of any of the installments detailed above, the agreement will be cancelled and the full sum will become due and payable.

Further action will then be taken for the recovery of the sums due and, if necessary, your goods and chattels will be seized and sold in public auction. If insufficient goods are available for seizure, a report will be forwarded to the Council, who may make an application to the Magistrates’ Courts, in accordance with the regulations, for your committal to prison. Any further action will result in further charges being incurred, for which you will be responsible.

Regards

Can't pay them this much, and don't really want to pay them either want to pay the council,

Then pay the council direct. They canot refuse payment.

any suggestions on a reply to them?
F OFF thieving scumbags springs to mind. But that wouldnt go down to well. Just ignore them. Like a rash, they will go away eventually.

I am sure the charges keep changing, as the price on bailiff letter was 1.401.00.
I am convinced that they are incredibly clever, or stupid.

Dont be suprised by anything they do.

Despite a recent court ruling that they cant charge credit/debit card fees, they still put it in writing.

Brown Eyes1

Dear Madam,

£280.69 by 13/10/08 with 4 MONTHLY amounts of £270.00

Payments must be made direct to ourselves in cash, postal orders, or by banker’s draft. Cheques are also acceptable except where payment of a previous cheque sent to us, by you has not been met by your bank.

Payment can also be made by CREDIT or DEBIT CARD by telephoning our office on the above number. (Note: All card payments are subject to a surcharge). You may find that, depending on the size of the payment, this is less than the cost of buying Postal Orders.

A receipt will only be issued if you send a stamped addressed envelope with your payment. Your reference number is ********, this must be included with your payment and written clearly on any letters which you send to us.

We have attached a questionnaire for you to complete and return to us in order for us to up date our records accordingly.

With reference to the seized vehicle belonging to a third party, we confirm that we will be confirming the owner of the vehicle with the

DVLA.

If you fail to make payment of any of the installments detailed above, the agreement will be cancelled and the full sum will become due and payable.

Further action will then be taken for the recovery of the sums due and, if necessary, your goods and chattels will be seized and sold in public auction. If insufficient goods are available for seizure, a report will be forwarded to the Council, who may make an application to the Magistrates’ Courts, in accordance with the regulations, for your committal to prison. Any further action will result in further charges being incurred, for which you will be responsible.

Regards

Yawn.

Just who the hell do they think they are.

The letter is toilet paper, use it accordingly.

One small point to reassure you : committal to prison is only used when people point blank refuse to pay. It isn't and cannot be used where people are unable to pay.

Their threats in this respect are meaningless.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

I would keep paying the council tbh. They cannot refuse your payments. Bailiffs are, on the whole, bullies with scant regard for what they can and cannot legally do. Just remember, if they come to your house DO NOT LET THEM IN. If they haven't been in before then they have no right to come into your house. Keep all doors and windows locked, and do not worry. You will get support on here.

Beating the DCA's day by day

My fight:

NDR - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Bank of Scotland - CCA'd 12+2 passed

CFS - Win by Technical Knock-out!:lol:

HFC Bank - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Chantry Collections - CCA sent

Time flies like an arrow

Fruit flies like a banana :D

<---------- Have I given you top advice, have I made you laugh, click on the scales, it won't hurt you! :grin:

Then pay the council direct. They canot refuse payment.

F OFF thieving scumbags springs to mind. But that wouldnt go down to well. Just ignore them. Like a rash, they will go away eventually.

I am convinced that they are incredibly clever, or stupid.

Dont be suprised by anything they do.

Despite a recent court ruling that they cant charge credit/debit card fees, they still put it in writing.

Brown Eyes1

Dear Madam,

£280.69 by 13/10/08 with 4 MONTHLY amounts of £270.00

DVLA.

Regards

Yawn.

Just who the hell do they think they are.

The letter is toilet paper, use it accordingly.

Hi Tonycee,

Thank you for your advice here, I emailed them again stating that I cannot afford the repayment arrangement they have made and would continue paying the Council, have not heard back from them as yet, but I guess I will be getting another visit soon, I will try not to acknowledge they are there though. certainly won't be allowing them into my home.

I saw the message about CAG being sued for libel, as soon as I get paid I will make a donation, it wont be a huge sum though but I guess every little adds up, this site is so valuable to people in our position.

Much gratitude to be shown.

xx

One small point to reassure you : committal to prison is only used when people point blank refuse to pay. It isn't and cannot be used where people are unable to pay.

Their threats in this respect are meaningless.

Thank you Palomino, It is good to know that I won't be carted off to prison. I have emailed the council again asking for them to accept my repayments and take the debt back, have even offered to set up direct debit with the bank to pay off the arrears for this years C/Tax, not heard anything back yet though.

Will keep posting to let you all know how it is going.

Many thanks for your comments

Brown Eyes1

I would keep paying the council tbh. They cannot refuse your payments. Bailiffs are, on the whole, bullies with scant regard for what they can and cannot legally do. Just remember, if they come to your house DO NOT LET THEM IN. If they haven't been in before then they have no right to come into your house. Keep all doors and windows locked, and do not worry. You will get support on here.

Hi Berrylover, Bailiff has not entered my home at all, and will not gain access at all, I make sure that the doors windows and gates are locked at all times. I am just amazed at how they can ply such charges onto the original debt. Strange how the Bailiff who came to the door had a much larger sum on his notice and yet when their office emailed me it was a lesser amount, so is the guy who came to the door adding on extra to make money for himself.

Thank you for your helpful comments and I shall take all the advice I am given here.

Brown Eyes1