OPC - Windsor-Smythe & Partners

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5723 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

These people are now demanding over £500. The fines are a result of me parking in an unmarked bay in my apartment block, this was my only option as my car had a tyre puncture shortly before arriving home. The building management do advise that should not parking be available it is the drivers responsibility to park elseware on a nearby street, however this was not possible as my car was not road worthy.

It was in this bay for 2 nights and they put 3 fines on the car. I then had the wheel changed and moved elseware.

I wrote to them and offered to pay 250 but they declined and want the full 500. They say they have written their last letter and will get my a CCJ, bailifs etc.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with these people? I can accept a small fine but my situation was unavoidable and 500 is rediculous.

Rob

write to them again (via special delivery). formally withdraw your offer. invite them to take you to court. then ignore anything else you receive from them. if they are mad enough to issue real court papers post back here and a good defense will be forthcoming. they have no chance and they know it. Provided you withdraw your offer.

So despite the fact that I have actually broken the implicit contract with OPC (they did have visible notices around), I can still ignore them and they will not take further? If they do take me to court what is the worst that can happen, I dont know much about law but 500 is more extortion than a penalty but then again it was in black and white that I had parked in the wrong space (but this was to avoid having an unroadworthy vehicle on the main street).

You've had a lucky escape. If they have declined your offer then you don't need to formally withdraw it.

In cases where people have failed to defend themselves properly, the court has normally awarded a lot lot less than 250 pounds, even including costs. In the unlikely event that they take you to court they would therefore be at risk of not getting their costs back if they win less than 250 pounds.

Judging from other threads, this lot don't issue claims anyway:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/71953-opc-private-parking-tickets.html

Keep copies of all letters.

Woah woah there.

Why do you think you owe them anything, let alone 250 big ones?

How much money have they lost from you actions and are entitled to be reimbursed for?

Absolutely nothing.

If you break a contract, they are not allowed to charge a penalty for doing so, which is what £500 blatently is. Notice that if you cancel your broadband contract, you have to pay off the remainder. They can't charge a big cancellation amount.

If the 'contract' said you had to pay them £10,000 would you have to?

Rmurphy,

These guys are chancers of the first order. You will simply have to keep your nerve and keep on ignoring them.

One of their tactics is to send unsigned court papers, again ignore, in fact ignore everything apart from actual court papers [posted from the court]. If this did happen to you, you would be the first person it did. Read the thread below, GuidoT has had over 70 tickets from these jokers including numerous unsigned court papers. Guess what, after studious ignoring, no further action was taken whatsoever.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/71953-opc-private-parking-tickets.html

Edited by Barnsley Boy
typo