Debt letter

Col_J
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5686 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I recieved a letter today from a debt collector, it reads:

RE: West Lothian Council. Balance Due - £103.34

Dear sir,

Having ignored all previous correspodences in conection with the above debt (this is the 1st correspondence ive recieved from them!?),we would now advise, that legal proceedings may now be taken against you without further notice.

In the event of such an action being successful, additional fee's and interest could now be added to your ballance. It could also impact on your ability to recieve further credit (including a mortgage) now or at a future date.

Full details of the payment details can be found overleaf.

It then goes on to mention phoning them & their opening hours!!

Now ive not done anything with this yet as im unsure of the best course of action.

Its all to do with an apparent over payment of wages with my previous employer (WLC), I only worked with them for a period of 4 weeks, before getting offered another, much better job. As far as im concerned I done my time & got paid what I was due, infact thinking about it now I wasnt paid for any holidays I accrewed during my time there, just my months wages.

I had a discussion with them via the phone many months after leaving & couldnt make logic of how I owe them money so told them I wast paying until I had some proof, then left it at that, I guess they must have sold the debt on now to this lot that has contacted me.

Any advice on what to do would be great, I know its only 100 quid but its the principle of the matter I dont think its due.

Cheers, Col_J

Hi, I recieved a letter today from a debt collector, it reads:

RE: West Lothian Council. Balance Due - £103.34

Dear sir,

Having ignored all previous correspodences in conection with the above debt (this is the 1st correspondence ive recieved from them!?),we would now advise, that legal proceedings may now be taken against you without further notice.

In the event of such an action being successful, additional fee's and interest could now be added to your ballance. It could also impact on your ability to recieve further credit (including a mortgage) now or at a future date.

Full details of the payment details can be found overleaf.

It then goes on to mention phoning them & their opening hours!!

Now ive not done anything with this yet as im unsure of the best course of action.

Its all to do with an apparent over payment of wages with my previous employer (WLC), I only worked with them for a period of 4 weeks, before getting offered another, much better job. As far as im concerned I done my time & got paid what I was due, infact thinking about it now I wasnt paid for any holidays I accrewed during my time there, just my months wages.

I had a discussion with them via the phone many months after leaving & couldnt make logic of how I owe them money so told them I wast paying until I had some proof, then left it at that, I guess they must have sold the debt on now to this lot that has contacted me.

Any advice on what to do would be great, I know its only 100 quid but its the principle of the matter I dont think its due.

Cheers, Col_J

First of all...welcome, this site will try and offer the best possible advice it can. I would also recomend seeking legal advice from the CAB or a solicitor as well, but that's just common sence really as any online advice is just as it is.

I'm not greatly knowledgable in this area, but i'm sure someone is.

I would ask them for a complete breakdown of how they reach that figure, and what it is your supposedly paying for before i went any further

While you should obviously insist on how they reached this figure, if they have overpaid you you will have to pay it back.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

It is strongly recommended on CAG that you do not telephone a debt collector. These people are well-versed in the arts of persuading you to pay up or to pay more than you can afford.

Initially, write to them saying that you have had no advice from WLC that the matter has been passed to a debt collector, and until you do you will be unable to deal with them.

You could also write to WLC asking for your final payslip and P45 (or have you had these?).

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)