Who is responsible?

inafix
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5329 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Nearly 3 weeks ago I was involved in a slight rear end shunt. (Someone ran into the back of me). Drove car home.

Informed insurance who arranged collection to garage. They came and drove car to garage for assessment.

Four days ago, garage rang to say 'the con rod has been put through the block and the engine has a hole in'. (Why did they wait 2 weeks to inform me of this?). I had no idea what that meant but now I understand its pretty MAJOR. Also, theres no way it could have been done at the time of the accident, as it could not have been driven.

Garage are denying responsibility. Insurance are denying liability.

Insurance want me to pay to have car transported to a different garage for assessment to engine and take it from there.

Where do I stand? Please HELP?

On what basis are insurance denying responsibility?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

How old is the car, what make model, and mileage?

Must admit, on first reading, sounds like wear and tear....

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

This is a tricky one.

I completely understand your concern. It seems like a massive coincidence that the car has gone into the garage and completely wrecked the engine. However, the chances of the garage having caused the damage (and, incidentally, the initial crash having caused it) are extremely small.

To my mind, it sounds like disastrously unluckiness, but probably is a mechanical failure not brought about by mechanic negligence.

Bear in mind I am not a mechanic - just giving my laymans view, so I would await further input ;)

Have they repaired the engine yet, I assume not?

I disagree, about co -incidence; con rods just dont fail at low revs or speed; if car was delivered to garage and engine was ok at the time ( no knocking or noise ); the problem must of occured there by overreving or some other mis-use, very suspicious to me. have you done a check on the mileage, when handed to garage and since the damage. It has been known for garages to borrow customers cars! check where and when this happened out on the road or in the garage? If out on the road why and where were they driving it!

I would ask for a written report/statement from the garage, explaining the exact circumstances and location when/where this occured. Engines these days are pretty strong and 100k is not really that much.

Depending on the report; you could get an engineers report on the engine to see what the probable cause was, abuse,faulty part or even normal wear and tear.

suspicisous because con-rod would not break just moving a car around the yard.

Good idea that man ;)

Thats why you need a report, what were they doing with it to get it that hot or run for any length of time for this to occur! were there any warnings; low oil light, high temp on gauge, knocking etc, before bearing seized, if it was that!

Could be a manufacturing fault, but why was it being put under stress?

every hole in the block i have ever seen has been caused by oil starvation, and in every instance it happened due to the engine being driven with no oil in it continuously, and all happened at fairly high revs,

not the kind of slow speeds a car being driven around a bodyshop would do.

If the con-rods gone through the block I would say it's more than likely that the engine was out of oil.

when engines run out of oil a loud knocking can be heard from the bearings, this can last a few hundred mile until they eventually go bang or sieze solid, most likely been over revved or just pure bad luck, as it happened in the garages posession when it went in for a bodywork assesment then they should be accountable.

when engines run out of oil a loud knocking can be heard from the bearings, this can last a few hundred mile until they eventually go bang or sieze solid, most likely been over revved or just pure bad luck, as it happened in the garages posession when it went in for a bodywork assesment then they should be accountable.

A few hundred miles? Your joking a few hundred yards if your lucky.

And what "goes bang"?

The rod through the block.

A few hundred miles? Your joking a few hundred yards if your lucky.

And what "goes bang"?

The rod through the block.

have had many a car with big ends knocking for a couple of weeks, as i said a "few hundred miles"

and yes result can cause rod through the block, but often there are plenty warning signs first. P.S Have been a mechanic for twenty years and now work on wrc rally cars, if that qualifies to make a judgment !

have had many a car with big ends knocking for a couple of weeks, as i said a "few hundred miles"

and yes result can cause rod through the block, but often there are plenty warning signs first. P.S Have been a mechanic for twenty years and now work on wrc rally cars, if that qualifies to make a judgment !

So you're saying you can run a Honda 2.2 TD with no oil in it, and it'll do a "few hundred miles"

I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong.

"Honda" and engine failure.....In the same sentence? A diesel engine by virtue of it's design (unless the governor is faulty) cannot be overreved...You would need to select the wrong gear to exceed the engine makers conservative limit. A pound to a penny some filthy little scrote in the garage thrashed the pants off it on the way to the garage and missed 5th and got 3rd!

Why the long face Horsey?

I'll agree with you entirely on the above points..... Working on WRC cars is great fun! till the kiddies come along and wives tend to not want you gadding off around the world having fun :D

Why the long face Horsey?

I'll agree with you entirely on the above points..... Working on WRC cars is great fun! till the kiddies come along and wives tend to not want you gadding off around the world having fun :D

looks like you have the T shirt as well, I used to look after a boys vauxhall rally car for him so have had plenty of experience with big ends and conrods through the block, ha ha, Back to the point though, I was meaning the engine will last once you have realised that it was out of oil then put some in, not running it with no oil, sorry should have explained myself better..

• 1 month later...

This has STILL not been resolved.

The rear end repairs authorised by the insurance co. straight away have not been carried out.

Insurance co. say 'it's still being looked into' ??

If the engine needs to be replaced they may just write it off.