Garage poor workmanship

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My new FIAT based motorhome had some recall work carried out on 16th April 2008. When I collected it from the garage there was a pool of oil at the from left hand side and when I pointed this out to the mechanic he said that the oil had been spilt whilst filling the gearbox from the top. I drove it for a number of short (23 mile) journeys for the following few months at most weekends with no sign of any trouble. On 8th August we set off for France from Belfast throught Ireland to Cherbourg and on 10th when near St Nazaire the gearbox broke. The FIAT garage in France diagnosed that there was no oil in the gearbox and there had not been any oil in it for some time. It took 8 days to get this fixed and we were out over £1000 in expenses and our 3 week holiday was ruined.

can you advise how I should try to get compensation for this and who is liable?

Thanks

Hi CTG,

Sorry you've been left unanswered, maybe because this should be in the Vehicles forum. I'll move it for you.

If you have paperwork confirming the fault, and it's remedy, from the French garage, contact Fiat in writing with a brief outline of the events of this case.

Before this, however, can you confirm the nature of the recall and the work you believe was done because of it.

If you are to prove Fiat or the garage are liable, you need to be able to prove the gearbox failed as a direct consequence of either component failure, or of negligence by the garage. :)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Was the gearbox repaired or changed? if changed, have you got the old gearbox?

If neither of the above, do you have paperwork that would show 'conclusively' that the gearbox was lacking in oil?

Sounds like you have agood claim on the garage that did the original work, but you would need all the paperwork to back it up. The old geabox and an enginners report on why it failed would be ideal.

Go back to garage that did the work and ask what actually was done and tell them of your problem and you want compensation; then put it all in writing, to them and fiat. and if finance involved them as well.

I'd assume the old Gbox was left behind in France :eek:.

See what OP says. :)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)