• Tweets

• Yes, I don't think there is any downside to doing this. If they decline then you can say that in your witness statement
    • Ok! Do you still want me to work on that letter you discussed above in post #26?
    • Thank you for posting up the required details and well done for apparently not revealing the identity of the driver. I am assuming you are the keeper? The depth of ignorance of the parking companies is absolutely amazing. The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 is the law relating to private parking and allows those rogues to be able to transfer the charge from the driver [whose name they do not know] to the keeper after 28 days . This is dependent on them complying with the Act. So many of the don't and Alliance is no different. It would help if we could see what you appeal was and to post the back of the PCN as it is lacking so much of the wording necessary to make it compliant so that in your case only the driver is liable to pay the charge. And of course just entering the ANPR arrival times means that they have failed to specify the parking time which is a requirement..  Because the car park was so busy you had to drive around for quite a while before finally finding a place to park which is when the parking period may  actually begin. The poor dears at Alliance have not grasped that particular part of the legislation as yet. To be fair the Act has only been in place for 12 years so one must make allowances for their stupidity . We shouldn't really mock them- but it is fun. You weren't to know but the chances of winning an appeal against Alliance and the IPC is around 5%-and that is high for them. If they allow you to cancel they lose the chance of making money and they would have had a field day when you were there with so many people being caught overstaying because of the chaos in trying to find a parking space then trying to pay.  Your snotty letter could go something like this- Dear Cretins, Yes I mean you Alliance. After 12 years one would have thought that even you could produce a compliant PCN. Did you really think I would pay you a penny extra considering the time I wasted trying  to pay with  long queues at the parking machine, then trying to get a signal to call Just Park. On top of that you then had the cheek to ask for an additional £70 for what dubious unspecified pleasure? You must have made a killing that day charging all those motorists for overstaying because the queues to pay were do long and even walking to pay from the over flow parking fields takes time. And yes I did take photos of the non existent signs in the fields so please don't give me the usual rubbish about your signs being clearly visible. Oh yes that £70. Please tell me and the Court whether that charge included VAT and if it did, why am I being charged to pay your vat? I am sure the Judge would look carefully at that as well as the Inland Revenue. The truth is you had no reasonable cause to ask the DVLA for my data given the chaos at your car park and I believe that you therefore breached my GDPR...................... I expect others will give their views as well.          
    • opps this is going to get messy then if they don't refund. you should never keep util accounts in credit.
    • https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/new-private-parking-code-to-launch-in-the-uk-later-this-year/ The newly created gov petition 'Immediately Reintroduce Private Parking Code of Practice' is from Stanley Luckhurst, the 85-year-old old Excel Parking took to court. Excel lost the case and the pensioner's been campaigning for regulation of PPCs since this unpleasant experience. https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/24085471.gerrards-cross-pensioner-takes-nightmarish-private-parking/ I would urge anyone on this forum who supports the petition statement "We believe the private parking industry is trending toward anarchy and must be brought to order by re-launching the Government Code immediately" to sign and share it. 168 signings at 4pm today https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/660922 If the gov new parking code is not launched before parliament dissolves (for the general election) then the legislation is at great risk of being shelved. And we'll be stuck with ATAs new joint code which does not address motorists issues such as a cap on parking charges, debt recovery or an independent appeal process.  https://www.parliament.uk/site-information/glossary/wash-up/
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

O2 did not remove a call bar even though the arrears was paid.

Mosey82
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5705 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

O2 told me a bar had been removed from my account 8 months ago. the account is an emergency only line so i have never made an outbund call i recently tried to ring off it and it was dead, however the logo and signal are still on the phone. Ichecked and a bar was put on on february the 4th 2008 and i was not told. i have paid al my direct debits and not missed one since december 2007.

Ibelieve by not removing the bar the minute i paid my arrears they have breached the terms and conditions im my airtime contract and should have to refund me the money and end the contract.

i rang them and they said because i had not used the phone it did not matter that an incorrect bar was in place, i pointed out that is irrelevant as i pay my line rental for the option to make calls, nowhere in the contract does it say i have to make a single call.

then the advisor changed her mind and said the contract was to pay for the handset, i said no the handset was advertised free and nowhere does it state this fact in the t's and c's and that it was false advertising.

then the lady forgot to put me on mute turned to a colleague and clearly stated i cant get rid of him which i heard and thought was appaling!

i did however get them to admit it was their fault and the automated system should have removed the bar but did not. she then said it was my fault for not ringing. i never received any notice of this bar or that i had to ask for it removed.

Am i within my rights to complain about this and also the terrible cuctomer service? i believe they have broke the contract by not removing this call bar and i have not received the service i paid for irrelevant of how long it took for me to realise??????

any help would be great.

i would complain however there is fault on both sides, you never brought the error to their attention sooner, so i can see where they are coming from. but they should have removed the bar.. i would ask them to write of the rest if the contract or at least go 50 50 on the line rental paid..

thixs is a copy of the leter i will be sending the complaints department. I know its long but if someone could read it and give me any help it would be greatly appreciated.

20 September 2008

XXXXXX (edited as was showing OP's address)

Account Number:

Mobile Number:

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing this letter with regards the most appalling customer service I have ever received from a company that I give my hard earned money to with the expectation that I will receive the service as described in the initial contractual terms and conditions.

Firstly as mentioned I would like to offer an example of the customer service I received on the 20th September 2008 from customer services call centre agent Jane on Extension 6717, on explaining the situation and pointing out my concerns regarding the accuracy and dependability of your automated call barring service that has incorrectly put me on and failed to remove the automated call bar as of the 25th of February 2008 when the arrears in question were fully paid on request of a standard bill until the 19th of September 2008. After a long call where Jane offered no end result to my complaint, that according to the terms and conditions of my contract O2 have clearly breached, Jane was heard to say as she obviously turned to a fellow employee with the view she had pressed the mute button and I quote “I can’t get rid of him”. On noticing her offensive mistake she returned to the call and apologised for what I had heard and instantly said she would pass me to a manager as I understandably requested. If this is what O2 see as the excellent customer service they advertise and believe that on paying my monthly line rental, in terms of customer service and satisfaction, I should receive then I would ask that you clearly re-think your customer service policy.

With that out of the way it is now that I can go on to explain the actual nature of my complaint and why I will be seeking consumer advice and if needed taking my complaint of the following points and the quote from Jane to the local and national press.

In December 2007 I received a letter explaining that I owed £18.95, I rang O2 customer service in January 2008 enquiring about this payment and on receiving sufficient evidence of my error I duly paid the outstanding balance and was allowed to upgrade my contract with a free upgrade. Only one month later at the start of February I noticed a call bar on my account stopping me from making and receiving calls. On speaking to a very helpful customer advisor on the 1st of February 2008 he explained that I owed further arrears and I queried this request as of January I believed I was fully up-to date with and had set up a direct debit ensuring the correct payment of all further bills. On querying this request the advisor stated that as per usual with O2 call centres his system was updating and he was unable to process this query and that he would look into it as soon as his system would allow him to. He did however remove the bar and stated I would hear back from 02 as soon as they had dealt with the query. He lifted the bar and the phone worked as normal and I was a very happy customer, Four days later however and with no result from the 1st February contact the phone was disconnected again with no notice and no letter or contact regarding this procedure and also seemed to bar all calls completely not allowing access to customer services, it also displayed as normal an O2 signal. Living in student accommodation with limited funds and no access to a landline I tried on several occasions to contact O2, usually the handset rings through to customer services and like the January complaint I would have paid the outstanding fee but this time the bar did not allow for this. As you can clearly see the level of customer service I have received to this point has been appalling. The next communication I received from O2 after no contact for over a week regarding this arrear in written or via phone was a bill for £42 that included the arrears of £12.82 and the month’s line rental and mentioned nothing of a bar of any sort. As I had heard nothing regarding this bar and a bill in my hand I duly paid the amount due on the 25th February via Direct Debit and expected this to be the end of the situation and the bar lifted as it was the first time this situation arose.

As this is my second line and only used for emergencies it was not made clear to me via and sort of notice that this bar was still in place and would restrict all calls as incoming calls were functional and the O2 signal was clearly available on the handset. Having decided now that this would be my first line I charged the handset and was greeted with a phone that would not let me make outbound calls. After checking my bills and my Experian credit report showing the noted account with no arrears present, I saw that the account was as of February 2008 in full working order and fully paid meaning I had fully adhered to all the terms and conditions outlined in my original contract. On realising this error on the 17th September I rang a gentleman in your customer service department who looked into the account apologized for O2’s error and stated that the bar should have clearly been removed by O2 when the arrears where paid on the 25th of February and that he would raise the bar now and have a replacement sim sent out to me. I today the 20th September 08 rang your customer service department, as on reflection of the earlier call I realised I had clearly lost money as I had been paying for a service that you were bound by contract to provide and clearly since the 25th of February 2008 you have not, and spoke to the earlier mentioned and I would like to add professionally inept Jane and explained the situation, she stated that the bar was automated and that they did not look into individual accounts to remove bars and that this was the customers responsibility to do, bearing in mind this was a automatically placed bar with no prior warning especially when three days before I spoke to a customer service advisor who explained that the account was fully up-to date and that the bar was to be removed. I stated that it was clearly obvious that as of February 25th when the only contact I had received in any form was that of a normal monthly bill for £42 which included the arrears of £12.82 passed successfully and showed I had paid in full that this automated bar should have been lifted from O2’s end as it is quite clear that I should not and does not state that at any point in my contractual terms and conditions state that it is my responsibility to administer and remove these call bars that your automated and obviously inaccurate and undependable system should have as of the 25th of February removed. As I asked the team leader on the phone does O2 send any sort of notification to customers regarding a call bar on their account and that I as the customer have to manually remove this call bar that your system has automatically processed on the account and therefore should when it sees the arrears are covered AUTOMATICALLY remove said bars she replied no and as recorded on the call that this was O2’s system working incorrectly and customers should be informed of this as without this knowledge it is clearly obvious the customer would not know this. The Team leader in question also stated and I quote that “yes as of February 25th 2008 the call bar on the account should have been lifted and removed like the class 9 call bar was on the same date.

Jane went on and used the pointless and irrelevant argument that even though O2 had incorrectly not removed said call bars therefore breaching the terms and conditions as set out in my contract that you will provide the service that I pay for, that had I tried to make a call within this 8 month period that I would have noticed this call bar and rang to have it removed, Jane argued that as I did not use the line anyway for calls that it did not matter that it was barred or not, I pointed out that irrelevant of the usage I pay the line rental for the option to make calls, if I make no calls or a hundred calls that is my choice and is at no point mentioned in the terms of the contract that I must make one or a number of outgoing call’s per monthly billing cycle? Or am I incorrect in thinking this?

When speaking to the second lady as passed onto by Jane, who may I add dealt with my situation with respect and was a lot more friendly than the “I can’t get rid of him” Jane, used the argument that it did not matter that I had not made any calls as the monthly line rental covers the cost of the handset received at the start of the contract, again I have to point out that this is not true and is impossible to find in the terms and conditions that were received with my airtime contract and was advertised as a free phone, nowhere does it state that the contract covers the cost of a handset or I do believe you would be breaking the laws of advertising by stating that the handset is of free cost to the customer.

I would also like to add that on asking what could be done to redeem O2’s customer service to me was offered a payment of one months line rental, I obviously stated that this in no way makes up for the fact that for 8 months you have limited and not provided as set out in my airtime agreement the service I have paid for. She said she would place this on the account notes but I asked that she also put I declined this unsatisfactory offer.

I close this letter expecting a response, as stated by the customer service advisor, within 5 working days of the date on the top of this letter.

I would also ask for a copy of my original contract terms and conditions not a template or the terms and conditions of today’s date but that of today’s date but of the one I initially signed clearly stating and highlighting the part that says I must make a call each month to check the service of the account and also the terms and conditions pointing out that the line rental actually covers the cost of the FREE handset that was advertised and that I received.

I have researched the situation regarding airtime contracts and am aware that I am totally within my consumer rights to cancel the contract as of the 25th of February the date from which you failed to the fulfil the terms and conditions that were stated in my of my airtime agreement and in doing so would be well within my consumer rights to ask for a full refund of the monthly line rental of £25 for the months you have charged me for since the 25th of February for a service that you have not correctly and contractually supplied.

I await your response.

XXXXXX

Edited by 42man
Poster left personal details on,,,

here, drop a line to the papers.. bet that would make a jucie story for them. o2 would be quick on paying out then...

The papers would have zero interest in this.

I have researched the situation regarding airtime contracts and am aware that I am totally within my consumer rights to cancel the contract as of the 25th of February

Wrong. Breach of terms does not constitute right to cancel agreement.

the date from which you failed to the fulfil the terms and conditions that were stated in my of my airtime agreement and in doing so would be well within my consumer rights to ask for a full refund of the monthly line rental of £25 for the months you have charged me for since the 25th of February for a service that you have not correctly and contractually supplied.

Absolutely correct.

You are entitled to a full refund of the line rental charges, as they have charged you for a service it was impossible for them to provide at this point. That is ALL you are entitled to IMO.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

there is another aspect that needs to be considered - yes the handset may have been supplied to you 'free' - as in you didnt stump up any money for it, but that is because it has been supplied to you on the condition of a 'minimum contract term' as in, x amount of £'s per month that covers the cost of the phone supplied.

I am having a problem understanding why somebody would pay a monthly contract and not use the service at all?

Because you chose not to use the phone is down to you - if you had used it the error would have been noticed a lot sooner and resolved. The network could argue that you knew the bar was there, didnt worry about it because using a diff network sim, (they may even check if handset serial number been used with another sim in it!!) with the aim of trying to claim back 8 mnths worth of line rental (a phone extremely cheap!!)

IMO i dont think you can claim the whole 8 mnths worth (if it were me personally i wouldnt feel that i deserved it!) as it is 50/50 fault, so you may get further by showing you accept some of the responsiblity and asking for half of it back?

Anything I post is my own opinion and views based on experience. My posts may not represent the views of my Employer, work collegues, or my Mum, i thought them up all by myself!

Orange primate, the airtime contract is solely that as i enquired at o2 customer services, it is a free gift and is no part of the airtime agreement. i pay my monthly costs anyway that is my argument.

Why would anyone pay for a line and not use it?

Ever heard of an emergency line, i have a work phone that is my main line use and have never needed to use this line. I got this line 4 years ago and did use it it was only as of january this year that i stoped using it but kept it on for emergencies and because it had loyalty bonuses that if i did need it again meant a better deal.

Using the phone is irrelevant to the fact they did not supply all the services i signed for even if i chose not to use these services i do by right deserve the option.

The papers would have zero interest in this

I'm inclined to agree though ID thieves may be interested in the OP posting a letter including his O2 Account number, mobile number and full address on a public forum

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

God true!! I never even noticed that!!

OP advise you remove those immediately.

In fact....*notifies mod*

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I have still had no response from this complaint on the 20th September, i know they got my letter by recorded delivery because it is classed as received on the tracking number 5 days ago. I have emailed the webform, the complaints review service and half the ceo's at o2. i dont know what to do next but it is getting highly annoying.

And yes in i am impatient lol.