• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

AA99 v MBNA (Account 1)

AA99
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5079 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks for that Lexis, I have only done the CCA letter and the harrassment/writing only letter. I thought the SAR letter was only to provide me with all statements, correspondence from them, which I do in fact have on file. Also, haven't bothered with claiming charges as I didn't think I could do that with an account I was in arrears with?? Am I wrong? Finally got them all drawn up and printed off and ready to go to the post office first thing in the morning so would appreciate your reply. Sorry, it's late and am sure you are as tired as me

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

If you S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) then they have to send you everything they have about you.

The letter here may help ....... play about with it to suit......

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/148387-help48xxx-mbna-6.html

See Post 306

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Okie dokie

I'm finding a lot of threads asserting that being on benefits does mean you do not have any spare income. Any means tested benefits give you the minimum the government assesses you can live on, therefore there is no overpayment. The only problem I have thought of is that you have already offered the £20, and they may ask why, if nothing's changed with your income since you sent your details in, are you now offering less. It's your call how you play it, but I still think you're in a good position to be able to tell them you're offering more than you should to try and come to something acceptable to them.

Do bear in mind though, that if my story is anything to go on, they'll just ignore what you say and keep sending threatening/patronising/pointless letters. You keep paying what you can regardless of this, and just make sure you send a reply to all the cra* they'll send so they are always informed of this. My personal view is that your aim at the moment is to build up as much proof as you can that you're doing your best and paying what you can. After that, any action they choose to take will have to account for why they're pursuing you when you obviously can not pay what they want without causing you and your family severe hardship.

The S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) does provide you with all the bits you've mentioned, but also there may well be notes on any phone calls, and they have to document any correspondance received from you (like the 'missing' first I/E form). Also, if you specifically ask for it, they have to include the CCA. This was suggested to me by Hopeful1, who found that her CCA reqested agreement differed to her SAR requested agreement. This is a bit of a problem for the bank, as they then have to explain why they aren't exact copies.

I'm doing this with MBNA because at the moment the CCA I have from them looks enforceable, albeit without original t's and c's. I want to see if the CCAs match up! Thinking about it, this may be a better way for you to go - wait and see what the CCA throws up as it's cheaper, and it sounds like every penny counts (snap:)). If it doesn't go in your favour, try the SAR and see what you can get from that.

I don't think being in arrears stops you from claiming charges - it just means you need to be careful if you do have anything owing as they may pay it straight off the debt rather than to you. This is assuming any agreement is enforceable though, as if you claim charges and then dispute the debt, it looks a bit strange!

Good luck:)

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

No, being in arrears does not prevent you from reclaiming any charges that have been applied to the account. However, they will be repaid into the account to reduce the debt. Although I understand that some people have successfully managed to have a cheque repaid to them on the grounds that they have other creditors.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Lexis, thank you so much, I think I got the gist now. Letters going 1st class recorded delivery in the morning! Watch this space!

Will also then hopefully have a minute to go back through allllllll my filing as to when each of these MBNA accounts were 'taken over' from the various other credit card companies..... might turn something interesting up?

Have been to the post office this morning and have sent off, recorded delivery, 1st class, 3 CCA requests and a postal order for £3, to MBNA, in addition to a separate letter harrassment/phone calls/writing only.

Confirm my deadline date for reply from them is Tuesday, 7th October ???

Y E A H ??????????? :confused::)

Have been to the post office this morning and have sent off, recorded delivery, 1st class, 3 CCA requests and a postal order for £3, to MBNA, in addition to a separate letter harrassment/phone calls/writing only.

Confirm my deadline date for reply from them is Tuesday, 7th October ???

Y E A H ??????????? :confused::)

Hi AA99

It's 12+2 working days (as opposed to calendar days) ;)

Cheers

Rob

Hi AA99

It's 12+2 working days (as opposed to calendar days) ;)

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob

Confirm you mean 12 'any' days plus 2 working days? ie. from today, that would then be Tuesday 7th October ?:confused: or are we talking 12 working days plus 2 more working days, ie. Friday, 10th October ??

My DN from Crapital One was dated Sunday 31st August, so how does this apply ???? grrrrrrrrrrrrr:evil:

Hello AA99!

It's 12 Working Days, but you need to allow +2 Working Days to allow for postage.

If they get it Tomorrow, then you are looking at around Monday 13th to be sure of covering the 12+2 Working Days.

Even then, watch your back, as the bankers will push that.

How?

Well, they do like to piddle around back-dating Letter Dates, then Post late hoping they can get away with that. They don't care what you think, the purpose is to hood wink a Judge maybe 6 Months from now if it goes to Court. By then, they hope it'll be their word against yours.

So, don't be surprised to get a CCA Response, or even just a token CCA Response (i.e. any old thing they think will look like they have complied), as late as Saturday the 18th, with a highly suspicious Letter Date saying, well, let's stick a pin in the Calendar shall we, how about the 8th?

No kidding, this is acceptable tactics for a bank, apparently...at least from my own direct experience.

Do always keep the Envelopes any banking Letters come in, as they may one day reveal the actual Date of Postage via Postal Barcode analysis. Likewise, if in the heat of battle with bankers, get your Postman to Sign/Date any suspicious looking Letters as they are delivered.

You might even get one where a banker has been dull enough to use a Dated Franking Stamp! Doh! They are not the brightest Crayons in the Colouring Box, so this can happen.

But you may see what their little game is. If/when it goes to Court, they will just swear blind it was posted on time, after all, look at the Letter Date M'Lud. Once that is accepted, then they will argue the token CCA they sent is valid, after all, let's not forget the Rankines Blaa Blaa M'Lud.

Your protestations that they are telling pork pies about the true Date of Service will then depend on the Judge, or could depend on you pulling out the postal dated Envelope!

CapitalOne Default Notice could be playing the same games, so keep the Envelope.

The DN should allow 14 Calendar Days from date of Service so, again, the Envelope could be very important. Particularly important when it comes to a DN.

The accepted Postal Rule is that something is deemed Served within +2 Working Days after Posting if sent via 1st Class Royal Mail. So, if they Dated the DN on the 31st August, which as you point out is a Sunday (suspicious in itself, do they work on Sundays?), then they could not have Posted it until Monday 1st September, so deemed Served +2 would make it the 3rd. That's assuming there are no Sunday collections in their neck of the woods.

You should have 14 Days from then, making the Statutory Deadline the 17th. That's if I'm reading my Calendar the right way up!

So, if they say you must do something by the 14th, thinking that's 14 Days, they would be making the DN invalid, as there is no way that gives you 14 clear Days from Date of Service.

Clear as mud right?

But I hope it helps.

Cheers,

BRW

• Haha 2

Excellent post BRW - I've clicky thinged you as you've given some really good info.

I've had the odd dates malarky too - among others, a letter posted first class, dated 7 days before I received it (and giving me 3 days to contact them:rolleyes:).

For what it's worth, I date the envelopes myself too, as well as marking on any letter when it was received (for my benefit, rather than a judges as obviously this would mean nothing in court), and I always respond to any letter sent, starting with 'Thank you for your letter dated xx, received by 2nd/1st class post on xx' It's not much, but I like to feel it's in writing that I've noticed the vagueries of their post times!

• Haha 1

hiya AA99 and everyone

you have had some brill replies ive subscribed to your thread as im in battle also with mbna

as always BRW and lexis200 have given valid points that im taking on board too, so thank you both - helped me too

keep positive as ive learned from this forum, its like a game of chess, all this but in the end you just have to get to the end in the best possible way -

have a fun day all ciao for now laters maz

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

Hello Lexis200!

For what it's worth, I date the envelopes myself too, as well as marking on any letter when it was received (for my benefit, rather than a judges as obviously this would mean nothing in court), and I always respond to any letter sent, starting with 'Thank you for your letter dated xx, received by 2nd/1st class post on xx' It's not much, but I like to feel it's in writing that I've noticed the vagueries of their post times!

That's very wise. It may seem an unrewarding task but, over time, you are establishing a clear track record of how you communicate. You are also taking charge of them in doing so, i.e. by quoting Letter and Delivery Dates in your replies. Good work.

Thus, any glaring Postal Date/Letter Date games by the bankers will then stand out.

This could, potentially, save the day if something is date critical, such as a Default Notice.

It could also throw some very serious doubt on the integrity of the bankers concerned if you can show a long track record of highly dubious Letter Dates.

BTW, I'm still trying to read those Orange Royal Mail Barcodes...one day I will crack it, and then all of the Envelopes CAGGERs have saved may reveal Postal Dates! I can't promise I will, but I am working on trying to tease out the Code from Royal Mail.

Before anyone jumps in, the Orange Bar Codes are NOT using the Royal Mail 4 State Customer Code (RM4SCC). That I can read! It is not that, sadly!

Cheers,

BRW

Hiya AA99

i understand totally how these debts can make you feel, without this forum and moneysavingexpert i think i could have ended up in the loony bin,,,, but now hoping to go back to work next week and will hope to get myself further out of this black hole ive been for the past year

so do as we have been told by the experts here , i wish id had this amount of help when i was starting out at the beg of the year, it took a few months to get really involved in this forum but i could have avoided so much stress, but now im so much stronger and you will be too, keep hanging in it will get better because knowledge is power:)

im going to take on board when i reply back in my letters like lexis200 and like BRW am saving all my envelopes too

have a good day everyone keep happy ciao for now laters

• Haha 1

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

Hey AA99!

Thanks for looking through my posts.. hope some of it was a help. I really must start them all individually.. never thought it would reach 40 pages!

Looks like you are getting some sound advice here.. hope you feel more in control for it.

You mention bankruptcy.. it's something i considered although i didn't take that route as it all would have been too much for my old mum. As it stands, and after looking through this thread, i would say you doing very well and don't need to consider that at the moment.

Not sure quite how the detail works but it's not a quick fix that's for sure. A point though should you ever decide to go for it is that you must remember to give back all those DVDs and nice items you have on loan from all your friends and relatives.. of course, after bankruptcy is over then it would be nice to ask for them back. :D (You know what i mean.)

I don't think you need to go down that route though. Looks like you are getting some reasonable responses from many creditors and can pay them something each month for the most part. In your situation, as with mine, not having any assets or your own home the chance of a creditor actually taking you to Court (especially while you are paying them even a small amount) are 000.1% if that!

I almost begged a couple of my creditors to take me to Court but unless you have your own property or a Merc and 50" Tv that they know of, they won't spend the money on legal action.

You mention reducing the amount you pay and the suggestion of £300 a month to feed a family of four. Ignore all such statements. You are the best judge of what you and your family need to live on.

Something has changed in your income to warrant reducing payments and that is the high cost of living which has dramatically increased the last year compared to the lack of corresponding increase in Benefit payments.

That's the only information or reasoning you need give creditors. If you have a little left over then great but if that's £1, £10 or £17.85p a month then that's your concern. It's not up to a creditor to dictate what your food bill should be as long as you are truthful and don't suggest you need £999 a week for potatoes.

In regards to the SAR/CCA fees sent out, be prepared for a reply along the lines of "thank you for your payment, but it wasn't enough to clear your account".

Standard tactic to show, should it ever get to Court via a claim by you more likely, that you acknowledged the account and made a payment towards it, as well as avoiding complying with your request for documentation. Something to be aware of and nice complaint letter to head office usually remedies it.

The main thing at the mo seems to be the harassment by MBNA. GVI inc were polite but annoying as i remember. In fact that was the start of things and the phone ringing 8 times a day from MBNA alone was enough to give me grey hairs.

I did the usual. Administration of Justice Act, cease and desist all calls, only communicate in writing. Even letter to the Vice President of MBNA, to which i had replies apologising , didn't stop the calls until i changed my number.

I guess that isn't an easy option for you at the moment? Even so, a letter to the top wouldn't hurt!

Wait til you either get a reply to the CCAs (if you do) and then complain if required to Trading Standards. You may get their backing if you are lucky.

I'll hunt out the MBNA Assistant Vice President replies and what i wrote and post them here as they may be of some help! :) D

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

Barclays - Monthly payments made

Cahoot - Agreement received, awaiting 2nd agreement after DCA.

MBNA1&2 - Agreements received. (Currently in limbo)

Halifax - Davey vs Halifax/Cabot

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Cap1 **WON** £1,500 Written Off Davey vs Cap1

Never Sign Anything

After i complained about the number of calls i received this:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t42/davey77_2007/VICEPRESmbna1.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t42/davey77_2007/VICEPRESmbna2.jpg

My reply was:

"Thank you for the detailed and personal letter of the 8th of January regarding the response to my concerns - (signed Stuart Johnson: Assistant Vice President.)

I certainly accept the apology for the distress caused by the constant phone calls by GVI although I cannot say whether the calls in question have diminished or increased as i have since changed my phone number (ex-directory) and find that action has brought me great relief and lessened the stress i felt under at the time as I no longer experience a sickening feeling every time the phone rings.

I should like to bring to your attention of that which you may be unaware in the tactics employed by GVI are not as you put it “To ensure customers are contacted by telephone in a timely manner” or to “keep me updated” but are designed and carried out in such a fashion as to harass, intimidate and wear down an individual. How someone’s financial status can change several times a day or from 8am by 9.32am onwards on the same day is beyond comprehension. An example:

8.47am (With accent) “Hello Mr x, you have not paid your bill. Can you pay now? Can you get a friend to pay? Your credit rating will affected for up to 16 years. Can you pay by the end of the month? Can you take out a loan to pay? How do you expect to pay your bill?”

9.32am “Hello Mr x, you have not paid your bill. Can you pay now? Can you get a friend to pay? Your credit rating will affected for up to 16 years. Can you pay by the end of the month? Can you take out a loan to pay? How do you expect to pay your bill?”

12.26pm “As above”

13.15pm “As above”

15.29pm “As above”

19.15pm “As above”

19.26pm “As above”

20.40pm “As above”

All very polite individually but as you can imagine day in day out can start to have an effect on a person’s well-being surely. As i say i have accepted your apology and as i have changed my number it is no longer an issue that affects me personally but i bring it to your attention all the same in the hope that if there is a widespread and deliberate harassment agenda in the way GVI conducts it’s business you will review your association with such an organisation. I am sure you are all too sadly aware of the dire actions some people have taken in response to being overwhelmed by debt - and the phone calls by their creditors agents...

"

The reply was (after i had already told them i had been forced to change my phone number):

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t42/davey77_2007/SeniorVicePMBNA.jpg

Edited by davey77

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Never Sign Anything

Flippin eck davey.. great letter you sent back. :D It is still puzzling though, knowing your circumstances, that they still feel they can assist you to pay the account?.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

yeah i know CB.. totally crazy the way these people operate!

ah i see AA99.. the usual "call us as we are pretending to offer you help but of course when you call us we will do no such thing and try to bully you into paying (or promising to pay) more than you can afford".

I wouldn't reply to them either. :) Never call them.. have everything in writing. :)

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Never Sign Anything

Flippin eck davey.. great letter you sent back. :D It is still puzzling though, knowing your circumstances, that they still feel they can assist you to pay the account?.

That's the kind of thought that makes me want to pack it all in and go bankrupt! I feel like I've now passed the defeatist attitude and prepared to fight back! They've got more money than me...........:mad: and I've beem treated unfairly:???:

hiya AA99

did you say u pm'd me and couldnt on lexis thread>>

ive sent you a befriend you reply and then i think you can,,

pls dont give up, and dont go bankrupt, there is always a better way

am here for a bit

ciao maz

Hi AA99

How's it going today? Anything happening on the MBNA front?

For some reason your thread went from my subscriptions, so I've missed this last page of stuff:rolleyes: but am re-subscribing now!

I had a nice purple enveloped letter from my friend MS a few days ago, but I'm still waiting on a response to the letter I sent him complaining about his last letter, so he can bl**dy well wait for a bit now until I can be bothered to reply:p

As maz says, it's got to be unbelievably dire before you go down the bankruptcy route. I was looking into it a while ago when I came across this forum. Ironically I later found out that hubbie was already a member as he'd used the site a couple of years ago for charges, but hadn't had the time to read anything else (working all hours to try and get some money in).

We really did reach the brink, and at the time the only thing that stopped me getting us both declared bankrupt was having to have your name in the paper (why do they do that??) - I couldn't do that to my parents.

Hope you're still in a fightin' mood:D Carry on with the demands for letters only, and as you're doing, ignore any 'requests' to call them!

Take care

Lexis:)

Basic Account Customer

Watch out, there are Claims Touts about!

Challenge your credit file?

reputation_pos.gif

icon1.gif Re: Anonymous text message from MBNA

We nearly got divorced last week when I answered the phone to a very sweet and sexy voice asking for my husband by his Christian name only.... Who's calling? Jody..... Jody who? I can't tell you that...... Well then, Jody, I am his wife and you can't talk to my husband, good bye ! :evil: