• Tweets

• Not really. I just wrote it based upon my credit file data with screenshots and stuff.  Also referring to multiple data points. You need to read before sending or writing it.    I have plenty of experience in this stuff so takes me half hour to write something like this. For you itll take an afternoon probably. An additional day with it on your CRA wont cause a problem.     Reference Material; ICO Credit File Guide - https://ico.org.uk/media/your-data-matters/documents/1282/credit-explained-dp- guidance.pdf ICO Main Page For Credit - https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/credit/ CMF Limitation Act 1980 - https://www.checkmyfile.com/articles/the-limitation-act-1980-and-debt-time-limits.htm Gov Limitations Act 1980 - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/58/2023-11-18 (Latest Version) Transunion 6 Years - https://www.transunion.co.uk/consumer/credit-report-help/how-long-does-information-stay-on-my-credit-report-for Equifax 6 Years - https://help.equifax.co.uk/EquifaxOnlineHelp/s/article/Howlongdoesadefaultedorsettledaccountstayinmyreport Experian 6 Years - https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/guides/defaults.html#:~:text=A default will stay on,you still%20owe%20them%20money
    • Thanks fkofilee , by any chance is there a templete for guidance that i could use to help me write the complaint?
    • Hi everyone,  There were many topics on this issue in the past. May I please have an update if anyone managed to buy or sell the house with the leasehold air space on it? would the bank lend the mortgage?  If I was not informed about the complications when selling the house. instead, they told me that this would add value to the house and sell faster which is the opposite. Can I file the case and dispute it for mis-sold and misrepresentation?  I am in the year 9th and I was not aware of the issue until I wanted to sell my house. There has been no communication since I signed the contract. The company has never contacted or updated me on how much energy the panels generated how much I used etc.    This is a free panel from the government schemes, run by  Freetricity.   Thank you   
    • All together.   
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Gruff v RBS - CCA Request - Wont accept a postal order

gruff
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5545 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

erm hello

just reading this thread as it sounded interesting and 42mans has said summing i dont quiet understand.

you have mentioned the HM Crime branch of the treasury.

Now other than solving crimes, sorry this is just a assumption based on the name, what do these ppl do?

Can these ppl further advise on Money Laundering regs?

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

thanks.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Hi Gm & 42man

Yeah this was something that worked for rory and was before the rankine precedent but the various record keeping requirements state they have to keep details of business agreements for a period of 6 years after account closure to help prevent money laundering, terrorirsm and fraud. They seem to think in not keeping such documents they are complying with these regs, i beg to differ ... they have lost the agreements they are required to keep in just over a year bur they some how think they are immune from these requirements because "regrettably these things get lost"

Now I'm sorry that is not our problem, thats theirs! they know what they should do but seem to blatantly disregard it.

On rory's thread which is linked a bit further up it does state the acts where these "record keeping requirements" apply.

IMO its just another time where the banks feel the laws don't apply.

See below from Rorys thread the link is on the first page...

The relevant Acts and regulations relating to money laundering (and record keeping accordingly) are along the lines of The Money Laundering Regulations 2003, The Proceeds of Crime Act and The Anti Terrorism Act. I think it's also in one of the drug enforcement acts as well and probably a few others.

Each of the offences can lead to up to a 2 year jail sentence and/or a fine. The exception being the anti terrorism act which can lead to a four year sentence and/or a fine (a little more serious than not providing an agreement).

Also please be aware that The Financial Crime Branch of HM Treasury are the gestapo of the regulatory world.

[/Quote]

--

-- Your more likely to be robbed by a financial

-- institution than you are by a robber!

--

Record-keeping

19.—(1) Subject to paragraph (4), a relevant person must keep the records specified in

paragraph (2) for at least the period specified in paragraph (3).

(2) The records are—

(a) a copy of, or the references to, the evidence of the customer’s identity obtained pursuant

to regulation 7, 8, 10, 14 or 16(4);

(b) the supporting records (consisting of the original documents or copies) in respect of a

business relationship or occasional transaction which is the subject of customer due

diligence measures or ongoing monitoring.

(3) The period is five years beginning on—

(a) in the case of the records specified in paragraph (2)(a), the date on which—

(i) the occasional transaction is completed; or

(ii) the business relationship ends; or

(b) in the case of the records specified in paragraph (2)(b)—

(i) where the records relate to a particular transaction, the date on which the transaction

is completed;

(ii) for all other records, the date on which the business relationship ends.

(4) A relevant person who is relied on by another person must keep the records specified in

paragraph (2)(a) for five years beginning on the date on which he is relied on for the purposes of

regulation 7, 10, 14 or 16(4) in relation to any business relationship or occasional transaction.

(5) A person referred to in regulation 17(2)(a) or (b) who is relied on by a relevant person must,

if requested by the person relying on him within the period referred to in paragraph (4)—

(a) as soon as reasonably practicable make available to the person who is relying on him any

information about the customer (and any beneficial owner) which he obtained when

applying customer due diligence measures; and

(b) as soon as reasonably practicable forward to the person who is relying on him copies of

any identification and verification data and other relevant documents on the identity of

the customer (and any beneficial owner) which he obtained when applying those

measures.

(6) A relevant person who relies on a person referred to in regulation 17(2)© or (d) (a “third

party”) to apply customer due diligence measures must take steps to ensure that the third party

will, if requested by the relevant person within the period referred to in paragraph (4)—

(a) as soon as reasonably practicable make available to him any information about the

customer (and any beneficial owner) which the third party obtained when applying

customer due diligence measures; and

(b) as soon as reasonably practicable forward to him copies of any identification and

verification data and other relevant documents on the identity of the customer (and any

beneficial owner) which the third party obtained when applying those measures.

(7) Paragraphs (5) and (6) do not apply where a relevant person applies customer due diligence

measures by means of an outsourcing service provider or agent.

(8) For the purposes of this regulation, a person relies on another person where he does so in

accordance with regulation 17(1).

Taken from http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/F/1/money_laundering_regulations2007.pdf

Thanks so far, the fight is on...

--

--

There is also this little gem.. I havent a clue where I got it from. I am actively searching for the source..

“Document Retention

According to sections 221 and 222 of the Companies Act 1985, a public company is required to maintain records for a period of six years (section 222(5)(b).

As a loan agreement is active until the agreement is terminated, I would suggest that all the payment records (and other documents making up the file - including the agreement/application etc) would be "live" until the account is paid, or terminated - thus, the full file should be retained for at least six years after that.

This interpretation fits in with Inland Revenue legislation that requires prime documents to be retained for a period of six years - AFTER THE END OF THE RELEVANT ACCOUNTING PERIOD. That would mean some files need to be retained for up to seven years. The relevant legislation is found in Schedule 18 of the Finance Act 1998 (paragraph 21) - of particular significance is sub-paragraph (6) which states:

"The duty to preserve records under this paragraph includes a duty to preserve all supporting documents relating to the items mentioned in sub-paragraph (5)(a) and (b)."

Finally, key documents/application forms etc must be kept until 5 years after that business relationship has ended. This is a requirement of The Money Laundering Regulations 1993, 2003 and 2007. “

• Haha 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

thanks for the CB i am naming it owned in my list of important things.

• Haha 1

Thanks for that CB thats great stuff and will provide good ammunition for the next letter, I emailed the treasury earlier quoting rbs brazen response in regards to the regs and asked what their view was on the matter? How can these laws protect us with the banks attitude ect ect.. I also asked how this could be escalated if needs be. Be interesting to see what they have to say, will post it here as soon as it arrives.

Thanks Gruff

--

--

Look forward to the next episode gruff. :D

Thank you for the click :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

oh dear they need a new fine i think

Hi All,

Had a response back from the treasury today and also spoke to the FSA who said that the monely laundering regulations are "know your customer" and relate to identification - which is what they fined them for.

There are statutory record keeping requirements, as your bank has acknowledged. They are contained in regulation 19 of the Money Laundering Regulations 2007. You can access them here -

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/F/1/money_laundering_regulations2007.pdf

Of course, the regulations set high level standards and objectives for firms and are not themselves a guarantee that papers will not be inadvertently mislaid.

In the first instance any complaint (because of the loss of the papers) would need to be directed to the bank itself.

Keith Davis

Policy Adviser, Money Laundering

Financial Crime Team

HM Treasury

--

--

thanks i needed that.

Might come i very useful.

Good stuff, Gruff. However, RBS appear to be "mislaying" quite a few documents and if I were the treasury, I would be asking questions :)

BCOBS

Yeah this is something I would have brought up in my letter but I'm going to let it slide for a bit and see what happens.

Checking my account today online, the loan has actually had this months payment come off it, yet no money has left my account.

I nearly fell off the chair with surprise :D

--

--

Yeah this is something I would have brought up in my letter but I'm going to let it slide for a bit and see what happens.

Checking my account today online, the loan has actually had this months payment come off it, yet no money has left my account.

I nearly fell off the chair with surprise :D

It might be a good idea to check a bit later on and also tomorrow. Good news for the moment though:)

BCOBS

Hi Gruff, very funny

I particularly like their line that goes 'Even where we are unable at present to meet our obligations under s.77(1) we are entitled to take all steps short of commencing enforcement. Commencing enforcement would include bringing proceedings. However we would not take that step because the borrower could simply request a stay of proceedings until the s.77(1) information is provided.'

I interpret that as ' We will only walk up to the cliff, we dont want to jump because its too high, wheres my mummy?'

Please give us money, pretty please, sniffle.

It also seems like this is taken from an internal memo by the way it is written, almost like some high up is advising how to proceed to get payment but stopping short of court action. Interesting

Hi All,

Had a response back from the treasury today and also spoke to the FSA who said that the monely laundering regulations are "know your customer" and relate to identification - which is what they fined them for.

There are statutory record keeping requirements, as your bank has acknowledged. They are contained in regulation 19 of the Money Laundering Regulations 2007. You can access them here -

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/F/1/money_laundering_regulations2007.pdf

Of course, the regulations set high level standards and objectives for firms and are not themselves a guarantee that papers will not be inadvertently mislaid.

In the first instance any complaint (because of the loss of the papers) would need to be directed to the bank itself.

Keith Davis

Policy Adviser, Money Laundering

Financial Crime Team

HM Treasury

I like the last bit where it says the first instance complain to the bank itself.. As you are unlikely to receive any other response than the one they have already provided, what would be the point ?.

BTW, having received a letter similar to yours from RBS, except OH's is from the Halifax.. he has now received an extremely polite letter from Blair Oliver Scott, requesting OH phone them regarding a payment plan. This is obviously the first step in their enforcement, which of course they know they are not allowed to do having told him so !! :)

So I agree with Bazaar, they must have been told to rein in their harassment programme :-D

BCOBS

Gruff....another cagger who's postal order was rejected by the bank !!!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/162876-worth-requesting-cca-anymore.html

Not quite, underdog was concerned he had seen another post and was wondering whether he could send a postal order. I do not read all threads and hadn't a clue which he was referring to.

When you obtained the loan from us, the consent you gave at that time to the processing of your personal data covered reporting defaults to Credit Reference Agencies. Such processing of your personal data in these circumstances would be fair, lawful and warranted.

We woudl inform you that, given the processing of your personal data in this manner were consented to by you as part of the arrangement for lending you the money; it is not open to you to unilaterally withdraw that consent. Accordingly, we do not accpet your notice under Section 10 of the Data Protection Act 1998 and do not intend to comply with it.

Isn't this statement basically saying that you agreed to them processing your data, presumably in the small print on the "agreement" which they now can't find. So it would not be a case of you unilaterally withdrawing that consent, as it can't be proven it was ever given in the first place!

Yes it is but as we know just because the law states one thing it does not mean they comply.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Having checked my account today it appears RBS have helped themselves to the amount of the loan direct out of my account despite having cancelled the direct debit (I know, I should have had eveything transferred over to a new bank account but thats not due to happen until the end of October) The direct debit has been reinstated - which I've now cancelled again.

Having spoken to the collections department and tried telling them the account is in dispute and that I was not making any more payments until such a time as its not they still refused to give me the money back. Also they didn't seem to know much about my ongoing dispute and even at one point said he'd never heard of the CCA let alone the points on it with regards to them being in default - thats what you get for a phonecall tho I suppose.

Are they allowed to just help themselves to money like that?? Its wound me up something cronic now having left me with no money until the end of October.

Having felt that I was going to let this slide and see what they do, I am now prepared to start taking action again but am unsure of the best way to proceed.

I'm feeling several complaints letters are in order, should I complain to

a) the bank and mention that this is a official complaint with regards to the money laundering regs, companies acts ect...

b) trading standards - they've made no contact with regards to me not making the payment.

c) financial obundasman

d) all of the above

and I guess after (a) complain to the treasury and various other departments, although unsure as to how far this will get considering the government bailout of rbs.

And would i have grounds to report this matter to the police as theft??

As always any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh and on a side note should a mod see this there seems to a permissions issue on the libel thread.

Thanks

Gruff

--

--