Lesley V. A&L

lesleyN
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6485 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I've been looking at this site for sometime and decided a few weeks back to begin my own claim against the A&L. Thought it was about time I posted my own thread on here aswell. So here is my story so far.

28th June: Sent the preliminary letter asking for repayment of £698.00 they have 'stolen' from me since 2001. ( didn't need to send off for my statements as I am the sort of person that never throws anything away!)

7th July: Received the standard sod off letter although mine seems quite uninteresting compared to some that others have received.

12th July: Sent LBA and I am going to have trouble waiting another 2 weeks to file my claim as i'm really itching to get on with it.

That's it for the time being. I am in the process of setting up another joint account with my partner with Barclays but still have a current account with them anyway which I had for 9 years and spent 8 of these overdrawn by £200.00 which kept creeping over the overdraft limit. Its funny but despite the wedge of letters Barclays sent me to remind me that it had gone over every month they only ever charged me interest and I have had no penalty charges from them at all!!

The only worries I have is that I have a loan with the moneyback company which is part of the Alliance and Leicester and am slightly worried that I could come accross some problems with this. Also have been reading about court cases being stayed by the courts because a similar case will be going to a higher court before the end of the year. Does this mean it will happen to everyone claiming at the moment or is this just in certain counties that were mentioned in the Daily Mail's article yesterday??

Also have been reading about court cases being stayed by the courts because a similar case will be going to a higher court before the end of the year. Does this mean it will happen to everyone claiming at the moment or is this just in certain counties that were mentioned in the Daily Mail's article yesterday??

Hi Lesley, welcome to the forum.

Logged on to the DM site to see what you are referring to. Interesting article - if it gets that far it should clarify the whole situation once and for all.

Probably won't hold my breath though; can the banks prove they only cover their costs? And if not, are they going to want to be dragged through a court and shown to be wanting?

Could go on some time with delaying tactics.

Shouldn't think it would have too much effect at the moment at our level - small claims courts don't want to back-log too much, I wouldn't have thought.

But then, what do I know? 8)

p.s. Good luck with your claim.

Hi Michael and younganfree, Thanks for the reassurance about the loan situation. This is such a great forum. i have telling all my friends and family about it but I don't think they believe me. I shall have to send them all links to the site so they can check it out for themselves. Although when I explained it to my mother she scorned me for having nearly £700 in bank charges in the first place!!

Still, with a bit of help from you all I should have it all back in no time.

Thanks again and I will keep you updated on the situation as it progresses.

From what I can make out the banks are now settling the stayed cases so it won't go any further. I think they may have something to hide.:cool:

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thats nice to know. I must say I was rather worried about this as I am very new to all this sort of stuff and was beginning to worry that I was wading in a little too deep! Still I'll stop worrying now and start waiting.

Only 11 days to go until I begin the court side of things. Did get a nice standard letter yesterday from them yesterday. Reading it gave me a sense of deja vu (I think i may have read the exact same letter on here somewhere). You'd think by now they could be a little more inventive and start putting some proper effort into scaring us off!!

I have never done anything like it before either, but it sure feels good to be standing up for myself.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

They have put in a defence but always settled before going to court. I think there is something they don't want to disclose in court.

Dont forget that A&L have publicly stated on the moneybox programme on radio 4 that they will pay all claims rather than litigate them.

They will also close your account after they have paid you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

Did the moneyclaim forms this morning online. It took me ages as I am severely hung over but hopefully I did it all correctly. Total claim is now £924 and so we may get a holiday this year after all!! my claim number is 6QZ49797.

What is the normal timescale at this point until the bank cough up? I noticed in PaulM's thread it took about 3 weeks. Is this about the same for everyone who've had their claims settled so far?

lesley

i filed a claim against a&l on 22/06/06 deemed to be served 28/06/06 due to the weekend and recieved a chq for full ammount and costs on 15/07/06 and interestingly the cheque was dated 04/07/06 so dont worry hang on in there your money will be coming soon but be warned i have just recieved a letter giving me 1 month to move all my transactions before they close my account so like me get a new account elsewhere. well done so far:) :)

Hi Jim, Thanks very much for the reassurance. Luckily enough my card and pin number for my new Barclays cash card account came in the post this morning so thats all sorted just in time. I will now be transfering all the DD and payments to this account so A & L can do what they please with regards to my account. To be honest i'll be pleased to see the back of them.

Planning on started the process again on behalf of my other half but this time against CITI Card. Hope I enjoy it as much as i've been enjoying this!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you all know that I received a cheque in the post yesterday for the full amount!!! Spent most of yesterday ringing round friends and family to gloat! I will be filling in the survey now and donating as soon as my cheque clears (unfortunately it takes 6 days for a cheque to clear in my new account!).

Thanks for all the help and advice, Lesley

*********CONGRATULATIONS LESLEY**************

i should be filing my claim any day now, so hopefully i'll be celebrating soon.

A&L Data Protection Act sent 8/6/2006 - Statements received 27/7 - Prelim request for payment sent 28/7 - LBA sent 8/8 - MCOL 21/8 - Settled in full £3317.66 20/9:lol:

MBNA Data Protection Act sent 8/8 - 14/9 Offer of £2,247.35 accepted. (£1,160 charges plus compound interest). Second account = offer of £1,182.30 (£436 charges plus compound interest) :lol:

Morgan Stanley Data Protection Act sent 8/8:) Total of £875 charges.

Congratulations Lesley. Never doubted you would get it.:p