• Tweets

• Hi With the Section 21 Notice I do hope the Landlord issued you with: Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the Property How to Rent Guide A current Gas Safety Certificate (if gas in the Property) If above have not been provided to the Tenant by the Landlord then they can't use a Section 21 Notice until the above have been provided (note you don't warn the Landlord of this until but put it in your defence) Have a good read of this link: Evicting tenants in England: Section 21 and Section 8 notices - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK Information for landlords in England on tenant eviction: assured shorthold tenancies, including eviction notices, Section 21, Section 8, accelerated possession, possession orders, bailiffs  
    • good idea take some pix and put them in a PDF read UPLOAD dx
    • thread title updated moved to overseas debt forum. sadly as they are outside any UK jurisdiction upon DCA rules which state in the UK they must not call employers, there not alot you can do to stop these scammers. make sure you totally make private ALL social media twitter/facebook/linked in etc etc as there no-way for them to findout where you work otherwise so you must have a leak somewhere. find it. your employer details arent even legally available to UK DCA's so how have they found it out to date???  simply write to the BANK informing them of your correct and current address ALWAYS!!. if you want to arrange payment or not TO THE BANK ONLY thats upto you. never ever ignore a Statutory Demand a Letter Of Claim a Court Claimform. if if if any of those ever happen. till then ignore and rewash. dx    
    • Date of issue –   13 may 2024 AOS date 31st may defence filing date 14th june plenty of lowell card claimform threads here use our enhanced google searchbox Lowell card claimform id be reading at least 5-10 threads a day. do NOT MISS your defence filing whatever happens.  
    • Hello All,  I’m hoping someone can help me urgently here. Firstly, I’d like to say I have read multiple other threads and have some what an idea of what I should be doing, however my case might be slightly different so coming with my own questions here.    my situation is I lived in Dubai and had a credit card and a loan, loan with HSBC and credit card with Emirates (or the other way round), I lost my job and was forced to leave the country as I was staying in the country on my companies visa.    since coming back, after a few years 2 different debt collections agencies have been approaching me (one being IDRW and the other J&P). I’ve never answered IDRWW and they constantly chase me by calling and messaging me and my employer. My current company is ok with this as I explained the situation but I’m soon to be joining a new company who definitely won’t be ok with being messaged and called. I’m afraid to continue to ignore them as they may message and calm the new employer as they have before and I’ll lose my job. However, it seems clear from these forums that dealing with the debt collection agencies is never a good idea. You shouldn’t agree to the amount or pay anything.    j&p caught me on my phone but I still haven't sent them any money or confirmed the amount they’re saying is owed, they keep pushing to pay off the “principal” amount by making monthly payments, from reading these forums it seems like if I make one of those payments (they have provided bank details for ENBD), then it’ll just be paying off interest and not actually clearing the principle debt and the bank won’t even approve receipt of payment or that it’s coming off principle.    this is my predicament as ignoring them might not be an option if they chase my new employer. Maybe there’s a way to ensure the debt collection agency don’t contact my new employer?? I don’t know? Massively appreciate peoples help here. Thanks, 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Capstone/SPML

Andrew66
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4750 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had a letter from Capstone's solicitors on Friday stating that they would be going for repossession unless I paid £4900 arrears. About £2900 of this is Capstone's fees, about £2000 is actual arrears. My discounted rate finished in July, and as my credit history shows arrears I can't find another mortgage. The monthly payment went from £638 to £885. My house is up for sale with about 40K of equity in it, but no-one is buying at the moment. Any advice from anyone would be gratefully received.The letter stated at the end that repossession is alast resort. Really? Seems like SPML use it as a first resort!

A+L S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 28th July. Statements rec'd 01 Sept. Letter requesting repayment of £4,979 sent 18/09 MCOL sent 15th Nov £6389.57. Cheque received £6425.54 4th Dec.:D

MBNA S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 28th July, promised reply by 28th August. Cheque rec'd £250 31 Aug.:confused: . 2nd letter sent 7 sept for rest of charges to be returned. £243 rec'd 28th Oct:D

CCA sent 1st Credit 11th August, reply 15th Aug

Request for repayment Rooftop Mortgages for £1095, reply saying no on 17th Aug.

Still to come: Cap. One, Time retail, HFC Bank.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there, sorry to hear you find yourself in this position. Are you able to make even a small payment towards the arrears each month?

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

.Hi there and thanks for the quick response. Quite difficult now its gone up to £885.

A+L S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 28th July. Statements rec'd 01 Sept. Letter requesting repayment of £4,979 sent 18/09 MCOL sent 15th Nov £6389.57. Cheque received £6425.54 4th Dec.:D

MBNA S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 28th July, promised reply by 28th August. Cheque rec'd £250 31 Aug.:confused: . 2nd letter sent 7 sept for rest of charges to be returned. £243 rec'd 28th Oct:D

Hi there, I would advise you to ask Capstone for a statement of your mortgage from inception to date - this will show the true arrears.

As your arrears are around £2k even making an extra payment of £25.00 per month would clear the arrears in 6.6 years. If Capstone are determined to take it to court, there is case law we can use in your defence that allows the court to spread the arrears over the lifetime of the mortgage if necessary (although usually 5 -6 years is more likely, unless the arrears are vast).

You then need to write to them enclosing an income and expenditure sheet showing that you can only afford a little extra each month. you can download a budget sheet here: National Debtline England & Wales | Personal Budget Sheet.

If they do proceed with court action, then you can at least prove you have tried to come to an arrangement with them.

Send your letter by recorded delivery and keep the receipt together with a copy of your letter and budget sheet. You may need to prove that they received it!

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Spoke to Capstone, have arranged to pay an extra £150 per month. They said it would probably still go to court but they wouldn't go for repossession. So I've got some breathing space.

Can you afford to pay £150 per month? You shouldn't agree to more than you can afford. If it went to court the judge may decide given your income and expenditure that £150 is too much.

Capstone however, will try to get you to agree to anything that makes it better for them :mad:

If they do take it to court we'll deal with it :)

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Thankyou, your support and help is most welcome.

No problem Andrew, just don't want to see you pressurised into paying more than you can manage. If you're going to struggle to pay that let us know and we'll help with a letter.

Ell-enn

I might struggle with that, so would appreciate a letter to help. To be honest considering the way they deal with people the lady I spoke to was surprisingly sympathetic. Not like some at that place I've spoken to before.

Hi there, I'll draft something up for you and let you have it tomorrow - is that OK?

Ell-enn

Yes, that's fine. Thanks.

Hi Andrew,

Draft letter below - you just need to fill in the gaps/make adjustments where necessary.

Date:

Name & Address of Mortgage Company

(Ring them up to get the right address & Department)

Dear Sirs,

Re: Mortgage Account No.

I am writing regarding my recent telephone call to your customer services department regarding the arrears on the above account.

In order to make payment towards these arrears I offered the sum of £150.00 per month in addition to my normal monthly payment. However, on reflection, I feel this commitment was made when I felt under pressure to make an offer which would avoid further action.

Having completed an income and expenditure exercise (see affixed budget sheet), it is obvious that I cannot afford £150.00 per month. I am therefore offering £XXX per month, which I feel will be more manageable and will be able to commence payments on (date).

I am sure you are aware of the Civil Justice Council Consultation Paper - Mortgage Arrears Protocol where lenders are required to assist, in any way possible, customers who are experiencing financial difficulty and to consider alternative payment proposals which would alleviate the difficulties. Therefore I trust you will take this into account when considering my offer of payment.

Yours faithfully,

XXXXX

download the budget sheet from here: National Debtline England & Wales | Personal Budget Sheet print one out to practice on first to make sure you arrive at the right sum left over to pay arrears. Then complete a final copy and affix to the letter.

Send by recorded delivery (preferably special delivery) and make sure you keep a copy of the letter, budget sheet and the receipt for posting.

Any questions, just shout

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

I'm playing around at the mo with the budget sheet, should everything balance accordingly or should I falsify anything to make it balance?

My wife gets monry from her parents each month, should I include this?

Hi Andrew, when filling in he budget sheet you should make sure that the amount left over (after everything has been taken into account) is the amount you can afford to pay towards the arrears. Utility bills are going to be higher as winter approaches and you need to make allowance for that.

As the money your wife gets from her parents is not what is known as a guaranteed income - I would leave it out.

If this does go to court the judge would base the amount you have to pay on the budget sheet so it's best to make sure you offer what you can afford and not what you think Capstone want to hear.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

OK I'll have a play with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it right that SPML are/were owned by Lehman Brothers? I guess someone else will take over SPML then.

• 5 months later...

Hi all, having kept SPML at bay for a while they have now gone for repo on 1st April. I missed some payments (Dec, Jan). Spoke to them today and am re-doing budget sheet but outgoings exceed incomings! House still hasn't sold but would a judge look favourably on that? My payment is £689 at the mo, want to fiddle the sheet to say I can pay £25 extra per month. Nothing from the court yet.

Hi Andrew

Have had same probs with these low-lifes

You are probably better starting your own thread on this, so you can get the best advice to your situation, if you have only missed 2 payments, i cannot see why they are going for repo, because it is usually 3 months, i would also request a statement of arrears off them although they will charge for this, i asked for it to be added onto the mortgage. i took it to court as part of my evidence to show the judge what was going on...i.e arrears fees added even after the balance was showing at nill arrears ..TWICE!!! etc..etc...

Good Luck

B-O-2

Good Luck with cpml

ANYBODY WHO NEEDS INFO ON YOUR LEHMANS MORTGAGE

either SPML/PML/LMC/SPPL; the following are DIRECT tel#s,

of the investigating & prosecuting organisations: DONOT say you are from CAG-only directly affected or a concerned citizen.

1. Companies House: Kevin Hughes(Compliance Manager-main) @ 02920 380 633

2. CH : Lee Jenkins(prosecuting Amany Attia(MD) for SPML/PML) @ 02920 380 643

3. CH : Mark Youde(accounts compliance) @ 02920 380 955

4. Companies Investigation Branch(CIB) : Charlotte Allan @ 0207 596 6108

(part of the Insolvency Service) investigating all the Lehman lenders

5. CIB : Jeremy Pilcher('unofficial'-consumer/company lawyer) : @ 0207 637 6231

File YOUR 'Companies Investigation Branch'- CIB complaint online NOW!!!!

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/complaintformcib.htm

Hi Brassed Off, this is my thread:D! Although I have come to an agreement with Crapstone I still have to go to court to rubber stamp it. I still haven't received anything from the court though.Will I be allowed to put forward my take on their rip-off fees? £2000 so far.

I took out a 'subprime' interest free mortgage with them 5 or so years ago. Lower rate at first then rising once the 3 years were up. My monthly payment is now over £2,000 per month. I have racked up £21k+ in arrears over a period and this has been exacerbated with my Service Charge company intermittently contacting them directly for payments, which they have paid without my permission and their charges.

About a year ago we ended up in front of the judge who granted suspended possession provided I kept paying plus £350 extra a month towards arrears. At the timeI thought it would be easy to remortgage and get rid of them. This has not happened so although I have been paying a minimum of £2,300 per month I have a shortfall against what the judge has ordered.

In the interim I have been trying to get them to give me a lower rate/offer a different product to reduce my outgoings while I take the long road to finding a new mortgage provider but have a Review date at the Court on 11 March. I do not have representation and would like advice to assist me either in front of the judge (as I do need to get the arrears payments lowered in any case) or for the case to be delayed while we negotiate the new lower payment.

I have been tying myself in stressful knots and would appreciate assistance greatly and gratefully.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I've sent back the court documents, I read on here that there is a duty solicitor at the court who can help me on the day. Is that right? It just sucks that I have to lose a days pay even though I've agreed a repayment plan. Wish the house would sell, that would be the easiest way out! 10 months its been up for sale, price reduced by £14000!

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I am new to this site and have registered.

I am getting increasingly worried about the way the SPML/Capstone go about their business.

I had a period of no work of 4 months but managed to make some payments. In January 2009 I got a new job and contacted Capstone in February and made an arrangement to pay a monthly amount of £800 which I can afford .... Just. I also asked for a direct debit mandate which took quite a while to arrive, I sent it back more or less straight away. No Problems yet?

Then they started to ring me asking for the details of my house insurance, which I had sent so they added a new house insurance of about £26 per month, I arranged to get my insurance sent, nothing yet, but this amount is now not being paid off my mortgage.

I expected the direct debit to take place in March. Nothing taken out of my account which I discovered when I went into my account just after my pay went in, in April, I contacted them and made a payment of £1600. Following Monday I received a call to say that I owed them £1085 (round figures), and that what I was paying was not enough, I told them I couldn’t afford any more and that I am making payments towards the money outstanding.

They have now declined my "arrangement" and want the balance of £1085.

I haven’t replied yet and am not sure what to do as I have been doing everything I can to sort this out with them.

They have threatened further action.

Once the insurance is sorted out (I am expecting them to refund the money they have taken for this ?? am I daft?) and that should be put towards the mortgage. Once the insurance is sorted this will mean I will be paying around £75.00 per month towards the outstanding amount.

Am I doing anything wrong and has anyone got any idea of what I can expect next?

I believe that if they do try and take me to court they will lose as I am making the payments, but have now declined my direct debit arrangement.

Looking forward to any help. Oh wuild I be able to get another mortgage from a "high street lender with this over my head?

What further action are they threatening and have they taken you to court previously?

If you have stopped the DD with your bank previously and now are trying to reinstate it then Capstone will say that it's either your fault or your banks. They know there is a problem and I was in the same position as you. I requested mandates but they were slow in sending them and didn't take the money. It's something to do with the account numbers and my bank blamed SPML and SPML blamed the bank but one of them should have been able to amend the details.

The same with the insurance. I posted, faxed and got my insurance company to call them but they still applied their own block insurance despite me proving that insurance was already in place.

Make a complaint to the Ombudsman as they are already aware of problems with Capstone, DD's and insurance. I complained and won and in their defence SPML said that they felt it unfair that they were always found to be wrong. Which leads me to believe it's not the first time this has happened prior to my case which was 2 years ago.

If your claim is a valid one then any threat of further action will stop until you get a final ruling but you do need to write to Capstone/SPML and wait for a final reponse from them first.