What are the criteria for Yellow Lines ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5744 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone tell me what the criteria for laying down yellow lines is ?

Can the Highway Authority put them wherever they please or do certain safety - congestion - improve traffic flow - accidents criteria exist ?

Many thanks - our Highway Authority wants to put down lines on an isolated rural sea-front and I don't think they will meet any of the criteria above.

Many thanks - sfj642

Guest littlesally

I have wondered about this myself as we have a very wide road leading down to the sea front where parking is not allowed between May and October forcing people to park in the expensive car parks.

If they were to charge to park along this road I would understand, but double yellows there baffles me.

Anyway ........

Maybe if you phoned the local council they would tell you; or google it.

Can't see why they wouldn't tell you,

Sally x

With respect I don't think that either making money from fines or forcing people to park in costly car-parks is a valid criteria for introducing yellow lines.

The lines may have that effect of course - but surely there has to be some valid and legally supportable reason for introducing yellow lines ? - not just putting them down 'where they fancy' ?

sfj642

Yellow lines can only be implemented by use of a Traffic Regulation Order, a TRO may be implemented for one or more of the following purposes:

Avoiding danger to persons or traffic;

Preventing damage to the road or to buildings nearby;

Facilitating the passage of traffic;

Preventing use by unsuitable traffic;

Preserving the character of a road especially suitable for walking or horse riding;

Preserving or improving amenities of the area through which the road runs;

For any of the purpose specified in paragraphs (a) to © of the Environment Act 1995 in relation to air quality.

Orders can also be made for roads in special areas of the countryside (e.g. National parks) for the purpose of conserving or enhancing the natural beauty of the area.

After advertising its plans you have 21 days to object and full plans should be available from the Council. Most changes to parking are discussed at Council meetings and these minutes are usually available online.

The procedures are prescribed in

statutory instruments. For England and Wales, these are

the Local Authorities’ Traffic Orders (Procedure)

(England and Wales) Regulations 1996 and, in Scotland,

the provisions of the Local Authorities Traffic Order

(Procedure) (Scotland) Regulations 1999.

WOW! that's fantastic Green and Mean - just what I was looking for.

Can you tell me where it came from, please ?

Many thanks - sfj642 :-):-):-):-):-):-)

The Road Traffic Regulation act 1984 gives the Council power to implement a TRO and the The Local Authorities' Traffic Orders (Procedure) (England and Wales) Regulations 1996 sets out how they should be implemented.