• Tweets

• Thanks all, especially the information about Kev! Yes, I'll make the mods you all suggest, especially the client bits (didn't realise it was a one man band). The only thing I'm not sure of, is the best way to "sign off", especially as the Keeper is not so keen to sign. So I'd much rather send it from our pet dog. BTW does anyone know about the landowners at Harlyn Bay? I did try to find out last year but couldn't find anything useful, and whether it is worth raising this massive cash generator scam with them. I'm guessing the landowners get a small percentage, so happy to go along with it?
    • I haven’t reply, so the hearing hasn’t been decided 
    • whitelist - the same with mine....the battery had a mind of its own. i bought it for my Son...he'd shut it down and it would be completely off but the power light would either stay on or flash...also it wouldnt start properly, had cmos errors on boot and other stuff.   i bought it through HP store on ebay ..brand new. after 6 days of receipt i recieced an email from HP asking if i was happy...i returned an email saying no and that i want to send it back as it was faulty (basically the email served as a reminder for me to leave them good feedback lol...not as a geniune enquiry to actually make sure i was happy with as they didnt reolve the issue when i was not) after trying to sort it for a couple of months with HP not replying, not offering a solution etc i finally got passed tech support who confirmed it was faulty. i then had to return it to their factory. this is where its gets beyond worse...waited 3 times for parcelforce to collect - they didnt. in the end HP sent me a label which i had to take to the post office - not good as im disabled with a mobility disability. then they asked for my bank account number to issue the refund. they hardly ever replied to my emails and it took over a month and a half to refund me once they had received the laptop back. no explanation, no progress emails, no updates. i kept emailing them on a daily basis as no one would reply to my emails through the website, forum, internal email addresses and even phoned 3 different departments who basically had no idea what to do or what was going on and did not help...they couldnt even tell me when the refund would be issued, let alone why it hadnt been done already. on the forums theres other customers who've had to wait 6 weeks , 2 months , over 2 months etc...it seems as though HP like to with hold peoples money to earn interest on the money in their account. i spents days phoning and emailing them - even sent a recorded letter. at the begining i phoned citizens advice and they said i am entitled to put back into the same financial position as before i lost the out of pocket expenses ie: compensation for my time and recorded letter sent etc. ive started a martin lewis 'resolver' case with them and basically in a snotty reply they told me im not entitled to compensation which is contradictory to what citizens advice told me. i was just wondering if theres any .gov website or law/legislation that i could reply with and say "no your wrong - please compensate me"
    • LBC is here. Complete with a note showing a phantom payment. What to do next?
    • I suppose it doesn't make a massive amount of difference as Kev has never had the guts to do court - well at least not yet - but to me the number of cards played still needs to be reduced.  Given the OP has already referred to the "very busy and overflowing car park" in the appeal I'd refer to that and tell Kev to go and look up case no.3JD08399.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Panic stations !!! Capquest Statutory Demand for Bankruptcy... Please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4593 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks...I think i'm up the Swanny with this and I don't know what to do. I received a letter this morning from Capquest in relation to a debt of £2,000. It is for a debt to Intelligent Finance. I'm currently on Benefits after recently losing my job and to be honest Bankruptcy doesn't seem the worst thing in the world as I've got other debts too. What should I do in the first instance. I don't want to be bankrupt if I don't need to be. What I'm wondering is if, in my current financial status, it would be a better decision to consider bankruptcy or should i try and fight this...All advice gratefully received.

Hi shytalk,

You need to contact a debt advice charity ASAP. Here are details of 2:

CCCS - Free Debt Advice from the UK's Leading Debt Charity

National Debtline, for FREE CONFIDENTIAL and INDEPENDENT ADVICE call 0808 808 4000

You have to wait a day or 2 for an appointment with CCCS, but nationaldebtline can give you immediate advice over the phone.

Hi folks...I think i'm up the Swanny with this and I don't know what to do. I received a letter this morning from Capquest in relation to a debt of £2,000. It is for a debt to Intelligent Finance. I'm currently on Benefits after recently losing my job and to be honest Bankruptcy doesn't seem the worst thing in the world as I've got other debts too. What should I do in the first instance. I don't want to be bankrupt if I don't need to be. What I'm wondering is if, in my current financial status, it would be a better decision to consider bankruptcy or should i try and fight this...All advice gratefully received.

Hello shytalk,

Sorry to hear your have problems. Just a few questions to see how best we can help -

1. Are you sure the amount claimed is correct? Are you sure that Capquest have the right to collect this debt?

2. Is this your only debt?

3. Do you own your own house? Do you have any other property?

4. Have you had any correspondence on this matter prior to the Statutory Demand?

5. Do you have any income other than your benefits?

Can you reasonable afford a modest or even token amount (£1) each week?

Now for some encouragement.

1. Capquest use SDs as a threat device to try and make you pay up. It is morally repugnant but nevertheless they can (just) legally do it.

You can apply to have the SD set aside of you wish. Contact the County Court at the place shown on page 3 of the SD and they will send the forms out. You need forms 6.4 and 6.5. They also available here England and Wales Forms if you want to download them instead.

If you really don't mind bankruptcy then you could just let the SD proceed. I would put serious money that Capquest themselves would pull it before the case came to court. On other words it's a big bluff on their part.

2. You can check out the validity of Capquest's claims by formally requesting a copy of your credit agreement and your current statement of account under the provisions of the Consumer Credit Act CCA). Letter N in the templates library should do the trick.

Send the letter by recorded delivery. Don't sign it. Enclose a £1 postal order with the letter.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

Hi thanks for replying. I have other debts but I must confess I buried my head in the sand about them when I was working. That is my only debt with Capquest as far as I know. I do have other debts probably around £2.5-3k but to be honest i've ignored them now for years...not big and not clever I know but at the time I was very irresponsible with regards to financial matters. I live in rented accomodation and don't have any other income other than my £62 per week benefit. As to whether Capquest have the correct figure or the right to collect the debt, i'm not sure as I don't know if i've had any other correspondence regarding this debt as I'm ashamed to say up until recently I was too scared to open anything I didn't like the look of. I can afford to pay at around £1 or a similar amount but due to other deductions from my benefit by way of attachment of earnings orders, anything more than a nominal amount would be rather difficult. I was just wondering if Bankruptcy would stop everyone chasing me...

From what you have described it sounds like bankruptcy is probably the best option for you.

You need to know what you are letting yourself in for. Have a good look through the insolvency website here - The Insolvency Service Website and also try and talk to someone at your nearest CAB. Also talk to the National Debtline on 0808 808 4000. They can be quite helpful.

If you have any questions after that (and you probably will) then you should come back here.

One advantage of someone else making you bankrupt is that they have to pay the fee, not you!

If after fully considering everything you feel that bankruptcy is the way to go then just let the SD take its course. But as I said earlier Capquest will almost certainly back out.

What date do have to respond to the SD by? Should be on the SD itself.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

Well that doesn't sound too bad either way. The SD doesn't have a response date...even though the accompanying letter states "action by the dates stipulated"...it just says that to comply I must act within 18 days. So shall I just ignore their SD letter? Is that how I let it run it's course? I've also just noticed on the SD itself that the debt in question is just over 5 years old. Thanks ever so much for all this help. I was frantic this morning but now I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hiya,

Im in the same situation. It seems to be there weapon of choice at the momment.

If you have just recieved the SD get a CCA request off to CapQuest as soon as possible. Like now.

With any luck they will not reply (or atleast not provide the actual CCA) within the 12 days time period. You will then have 4 or 5 days to goto the local court and put in the forms to set aside the SD on the basis that it is dispute and they have failed to yet supply the credit agreement.

That should ward them off the bankruptcy attempt and with anyluck, they will not supply the CCA within another 30 days and you will have them by the dangly bits :)

Im no expert by a long shot but this is what am doing based on info from other posts.

Just make sure you get the CCA off by recorded post with a 1 pound postal order REALLY soon.

Good luck!

Shytalk, I went through BR last year and it isn't as bad as it seems. But you must get all the advice and info. you need to make an informed decision.

Good luck and best wishes.

Please ask if you need help 'cos it always makes a difference to speak to someone who's been through it...

Well that doesn't sound too bad either way. The SD doesn't have a response date...even though the accompanying letter states "action by the dates stipulated"...it just says that to comply I must act within 18 days. So shall I just ignore their SD letter? Is that how I let it run it's course? I've also just noticed on the SD itself that the debt in question is just over 5 years old. Thanks ever so much for all this help. I was frantic this morning but now I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

Have you had a chance to go through the various web sites suggested above?

I would stress that you do need to make an informed decision because being bankrupt has serious and long-term consequences. You also need to plan how you are going to run your finances while you are bankrupt. For instance, if you are on benefits make sure you open a Post Office Card Account and get your benefits paid in there. You need to do this asap as you have to get an authorisation letter from the benefits people.

If after all the consideration and advice you still want to go bankrupt then the easiest way for you is to let the SD run its course.

Tomorrow please ring the CAB and the National Debtline.

Thanks folks. If I don't make any response what would happen? I've not responded to anything in 5 years so will they just proceed with the Bankruptcy action? I'm worried if I start sending Cca requests and the like that it might confirm ownership of the debt. I guess what I'm driving at is whether it'd be better just to keep on ignoring Capquest?

CCA requests wont confirm ownership and if you use the templates letters it will place the account in dispute and buy you some time to figure out what is the best course of action for you.

CCCS are excellent and when i used them in the past they came up with a payment plan that sent token paymnets of £1 per month, this got the creditors of my back but then i found this website and CCA'd them, none of which have complied with so they cant enforce.

if i understand you correctly you have not paid anything in over 5 years? this could mean you debts are coming up to the time of being statue barred which could be why the DCA's are trying to set the ball rolling again, i wouldnt send any money until they have complied with your CCA request in full, send everything recorded delivery so you have proof of posting and dont sign your signature on anything, just print it.

As for bancrupty, avoid if possible but there is also a bit of good news here, creditors only usuallly force bancruptcy if there is a very good chance they will recover monies by taking assets, i.e your house, if you dont own and are in rented its not worth them pursuing, it will cost them and they will recover nothing.

you are in the right place here and will get good support and advice every step of the way....

My boyfriend has had a similar thing with Capquest for a £2000 unsecured loan from the Halifax about 8 years ago. As he is currently training to be a a Citizens's Bureau advisor, this comes in very handy...

From what I can gather:

1) anything over 6 years old is 'time-barred' and Capquest can be charged with harrassment if they keep pursuing you

2) IF they they are to proceed with the bankruptcy, it will ONLY be for the loan/debt specified, not ALL of your loans, although each creditor is entitled to set up bankruptcy proceedings for their own loans.

3) if you are on benefits they are obliged to take the most minimum payment you can offer - say, £1 per week

Abive all, don';t let these people bully you. I have had dealings with people like these before, including bailiffs, and they work on people's ignorance to instill intimidation.

Good luck, and I know it's easy to say, but don't worry!

CCA requests wont confirm ownership and if you use the templates letters it will place the account in dispute

No it won't. You must write and state you are disputing the claim because ... whatever.

An excellent reason is a missing or non-compliant credit agreement. You can't dispute the account for these reasons until the credit agreement arrives and is found to non-compliant, or the agreement doesn't arrive within the prescribed timescale.

You can of course dispute the claim for lots of other reasons as well : statute-barred, not your debt, unlawful charges, etc. In every case you must write to the creditor or DCA saying you are disputing the debt for that specific reason.

thanks for pointing that out, i was getting ahead of myself and confusing it with when they have failed to come up with the CCA..

fingers crossed they wont come up with the CCa on this one, which doesnt sound likely but i will take more care when posting :)

My boyfriend has had a similar thing with Capquest for a £2000 unsecured loan from the Halifax about 8 years ago. As he is currently training to be a a Citizens's Bureau advisor, this comes in very handy...

From what I can gather:

1) anything over 6 years old is 'time-barred' and Capquest can be charged with harrassment if they keep pursuing you You must inform them of this in writing

2) IF they they are to proceed with the bankruptcy, it will ONLY be for the loan/debt specified, not ALL of your loans, although each creditor is entitled to set up bankruptcy proceedings for their own loans. ALL your debts appart from crown, council and utilities ARE included in a BR

3) if you are on benefits they are obliged to take the most minimum payment you can offer - say, £1 per week £1 per month is considered the norm for people on benefits

Abive all, don';t let these people bully you. I have had dealings with people like these before, including bailiffs, and they work on people's ignorance to instill intimidation.

Good luck, and I know it's easy to say, but don't worry!

Sorry to correct you, but we must keep information correct on the site so as not to confuse or mis-lead people.

Sorry if I made mistakes, just that I am speaking from personal experience. With regards to the time-barred thing, I just went along to my local law centre who dealt with it themselves on my behalf. I had some private investigators after me regarding a Lloyds loan (which had been taken out in 1998) And as for the minimum payment that is what I meant to say - £1 per month,sorry.

• Haha 1

Sorry if I made mistakes, just that I am speaking from personal experience. With regards to the time-barred thing, I just went along to my local law centre who dealt with it themselves on my behalf. I had some private investigators after me regarding a Lloyds loan (which had been taken out in 1998) And as for the minimum payment that is what I meant to say - £1 per month,sorry.

You had the statute barred info. right with regard to the 6 years (5 in Scotland). We were all new here once so don't worry about making mistakes :) It's great to see you wanting to help. Welcome to CAG btw *hugs*

Hi folks. Thanks again for all your wonderful advice...you've all been brilliant. *UPDATE* Received a reply from Capquest today dated 6th August saying they are putting the account on hold for 28 days in order that they can obtain information required. I sent my CCA on the 2nd so does that mean if they haven't satisfied my request within 12 days of when I sent the request, I then apply to the court to have this set aside? Is that what would be the next course me action? Or do I just hope that they don't provide the CCA?I'm just a little confused with the SD saying 18 days response and Capquest now saying it's on hold for 28 days. Thanx as always guys and girls. You are a beacon of hope in my stormy sea of current hassle :-)

The 28 days are just standard words in a standard letter. They haven't even thought about the SD in this context.

The 18 days marches on regardless of anything else that might be happening.

Just to answer an earlier post:

As far as I know Council Tax and Utilities ARE covered by Bankruptcy - when a relative went bankrupt ALL their debts disapeared, including a "crown" debt to the inland revenue.

From a citizens advice website Debts not covered are:

Fines levied by the court as a result of criminal offences (eg. traffic offences, nonpossession of a TV licence). Maintenance or other family court orders (CSA). Debts incurred through fraud. Loans from the Social Fund and Student Loan Company and benefit overpayments. Debts arising from Personal injury claims.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well as i currently owe a disputed £3,000 odd to my local council and all told my debts are around £7,000. As I'm currently unemployed it seems like an impossible mountain to climb so I'm really considering the bankruptcy option especially if Capquest have to foot the cost me going bankrupt. I'm not worried about any detriment to my credit file as it went up the swanny years ago I'm afraid to say.