• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Swift Advances. Secured Loan Charges reclaim

overdone
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4914 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brilliant work sooper snoopers :D:D:D Looking at the trouble auditors are in with Lehmans, who are the auditors that sign off Swift & Kestrel's books? Surely they've been a bit slap dash.

Hi sweetjane .more than a little slap dash .some of their accounts are not signed and some are not dated ..these are all foul of the Companies Act..their auditors KPMG are not what one would call "an untarnished firm of accountants" by far

sparkie

Brilliant work sooper snoopers :D:D:D Looking at the trouble auditors are in with Lehmans, who are the auditors that sign off Swift & Kestrel's books? Surely they've been a bit slap dash.

KPMG..;) .and I believe a certain set of accounts each year was never signed off...

I seem to remember reading that Swift do not pay commissions and yet on their handbook they state quite clearly that they do pay mortgage brokers and intermediaries.

https://www.swift.co.uk/_campaigns/ctas/83387%20Swift%20Welcome%20Bklt%20electronic%20Feb%2008.pdf

You will find the statements under the You and your Broker/Intermediary

Here we are again taken from the site posted by lookinforinfo

If your loan is with Swift Advances, this usually means

we hold a second or subsequent secured loan

They refer to Swift and the Swift Group and Swift 1st but not Swift Advances Plc.

And as we have found out neither Swift Advances Swift or the Swift Group have a license to carry on Consumer Credit related business.

sparkie

Some information on Legal Charges and Repossessions on Family home from house of commons. I think its useful and I did say i would post as soon as I found something that would clarify the position for some of us - Fretful38;)

http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/briefings/snha-04837.pdf

I just need to get my head around it. Its not as straight forward as securitisation :p

Swift Advances is registered with the ICO till 2011. Perhaps Swift First are the one who is covered for Consumer Credit Business although they have pulled out of the first mortgage business and buy to let schemes.

Swift 1st Don't have a license.

They do according to Swift-see the last part under Corporate Information-

swift

Oh yeah i get it:

Corporate Information

FSA regulated mortgages are provided by swiftfirst, a trading style of Swift 1st Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (Firm Reference No. 304896). Swift 1st Limited registered in England and Wales. Registration No. 05020019. Registered Office: Arcadia House, Warley Hill Business Park, The Drive, Great Warley, Brentwood, Essex CM13 3BE.

Yes but they are not a legal entity. Theres no license that I can locate can you?

No, but they keep coming up with new names all the time it seems, so perhaps they have an umbrella type name that covers all their companies.

Just remember that it is a criminal offense to trade under a trading name which is not registered with the OFT (not sure about FSA) Swift Advances, at the time of many peoples loans were licensed not to Swift Advances plc, but to another company altogether called Swift Financial UK Ltd - no connection to the Swift we all love. How many people have headed paper from Swift Advances (not plc) which also comes with the name Swift Group too..another name unlicensed.

Okay folks we need some help.....

Can you all, as many as you can pop a post on here stating

a) The month and year you took your loan out for Swift Advances plc ( not Swift 1st)

b) as many dates as you can find when the interest rates changed

c) If you know, by how much they went up by % wise

We need this to track Swifts consistency of rate changes since about 2006 and I need this by Monday night, as many as can possibly give this information as we have a meeting on Tuesday with someone 'special' ;)

Thanks

SC

No, but they keep coming up with new names all the time it seems, so perhaps they have an umbrella type name that covers all their companies.

Under normal circumstances a company can use as many names as they like but when it comes to consumer credit business you must have your own license or be named on the licence of someoine else you work closely with represent or act for under the name you are trading/acting under ...fact straight from the OFT if you do not you are committing a criminal offence.

Example of our friends operating as ......SWIFT ADVANCES......... that trading name/style carries out consumer credit related business for and on behalf of SWIFT ADVANCES PLC........Swift Advances name is not on their license and therefore carrying out unlicensed criminal activities.

sparkie

Edited by Sparkie1723

a) The month and year you took your loan out for Swift Advances plc ( not Swift 1st)

We need this to track Swifts consistency of rate changes since about 2006 and I need this by Monday night, as many as can possibly give this information as we have a meeting on Tuesday with someone 'special' ;)

Thanks

SC

Hi SC:-)

Here are my dates and interest rates for you -

a. May 2006 (14.52%)

b. September 2006 (14.77%)

December 2006 (15.02%)

6th February 2007 (15.27%)

June 2007 (15.52%)

October 2007 (15.77%)

I'm afraid the dates are in the most part approximated SC as I only have one historic letter giving the actual date of the rate increase - I hope it is still of some use though ;)

All the best,

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

Thanks

SC

I think Marky1701 was doing this as well? I sent mine over to him/her but im Swift 1st or First

SMC

Think you may already have this but:

Agreement (Swift Advances plc) dated: August 2007 - covering letter on swift advances letterhead. APR (VARIABLE) Principal loan 15.8%, Insurance loan 5.4% total: 14.2%. Under "Other Financial Information" Rate of interest quoted at 12.99% pa variable.

Only one interest hike (lucky aren't we?) increased by .25% to 13.24% on 5 November 2007.

Hope this helps with your meeting with The Special One. :cool:

SMC

Think you may already have this but:

Agreement (Swift Advances plc) dated: August 2007 - covering letter on swift advances letterhead. APR (VARIABLE) Principal loan 15.8%, Insurance loan 5.4% total: 14.2%. Under "Other Financial Information" Rate of interest quoted at 12.99% pa variable.

Only one interest hike (lucky aren't we?) increased by .25% to 13.24% on 5 November 2007.

Hope this helps with your meeting with The Special One. :cool:

You were lucky sweetjane ...we had 3 interest rate hikes in 2007 .. June .August ..October..post exact amount later

sparkie

I think you will also find Swift 1st/First Ltd are linked to the LIBOR rate and not the BOE rate.

sparkie

From what I have read on other forums, Swift are now denying their interest rates are linked to LIBOR since they started to come down while Swift's continue to increase.

Slightly off topic here guys and girls, but yesterday I was going through some old paperwork and discovered that we had what might be considered a bit of a close escape when we opted to go with Swift for our mortgage - I found paperwork from another broker we approached (Liberty Tree) with a quote from SPML :eek:

Mind you their interest rate was only 6.59% fixed for 3 years, then LIBOR plus 3% (which was then 7.58%) - so maybe we would have been better off going with them after all.

You may ask why we chose Swift over SPML (neither of whom we had any knowledge of at that time) - but its a long story!

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4914 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks