• Tweets

• Thanks for the other info will also take a look at that.
    • It doesn't use the word reconstructed in the cover letter.  Although, I have just noticed on the cover letter they have asked me to complete a financial statement and offer a repayment within the next 10 days, or they will continue to follow court directions.  They sent a separate letter on the same day advising me they will be continuing with their claim ?  They have done the same for both claims.  Is it worth just doing that - doing the financial breakdown and offering a x amount.    
    • hahah except I can't locate the courier to frighten them with it hahaha   
    • Dx100uk according to the ICO office, who I spoke to at some length earlier today after getting the email from the court, Equita are the data controller if they have instructed the contracted EA. The ICO have noted the case, and stated very clearly that the court has the higher standing in terms of dealing with, and punishing either party if they fail to adhere to the district judges order and any action they take will not be criminal.    but they also stated very clearly that with what I’ve told them, and on the basis of accepting what I’ve told them as gospel (which it is with written confirmation from both the courts and the police) then there is some major red flags being raised on both sides with them blaming each other.    they’ve advised me to essentially keep my powder dry until there is a charging decision and an outcome from the seperate proceedings with the EAC2 complaint, and then come back to them with the case and they will be in a stronger position to act against Equita and the EA as there will be established facts and evidence that have already been laid before a court.     
    • urm.. i seem to recall another assault case whereby the approved bailiff company claimed the body camera was nor theirs but a pers one of the bailiff, i think they got in serious trouble for it. i believe that breaks certain gov't approval for a bailiff company/firm regulations/laws  if memory serves me right?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Student Loan pre '98 dispute

pressure2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5628 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello good people!

Have found this seems to be the only place fighting the corner of the down trodden on the Net!

I am being pursued by the SLC for the time I went to Uni (even though any job application made since has resulted in zer0; not even an interview - I now drive a van!).

Anyway, I have been contacted regarding a debt owed to the SLC that I had not heard about for nearly ten years. They claim a CCJ was issued, (now expired), and I owe them £6,300. I don't recall how much original loan was; they say £5,999, but I doubt it. I was at Uni for 3 yrs, ('95 - '98).

I have never earned the 85% of Av. Nat. Income, and as my last status was deferred (in '99) I thought that's where it was, as I have never received any correspondence of any. They say as I did not make further contact to defer payments in 2000 or so, they seemed vague at this point, and that i must make arrangements to clear debt whether or not I earn the necessary income level.

Can you pls answer; Do I still owe this money after all this time? (Also, I'm 50 in a couple of yrs which I understood the debt should expire under original T&C). Can I defer payments; was there no obligation for them to have contacted me, even letting me know they were filing a CCJ against me. HELP!

Not an expert, but at some point in the recent past, the status of student loans changed. They used to be, but are no longer covered by the 1974 CCA. In fact since the change they are not even avoidable with bankruptcy.

So in my opinion this debt is now statute barred. I think they are trying to get people to acknowledge the old debts, in order to reset the statute clock.

I would write to them, head the letter "I do not acknowledge any debts to your organisation" asking them to supply any documentation, copy agreement, judgement etc.

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Thanks for your advice... I will look into that... Obviously I'm bothered if I don't co-operate with them they'll press for full settlement, of complete amount. They're meant to be sending forms for me to fill in to decide my payments. Barred Statute seems possibly risky, does it work, anyone been there ?

Either fight them, or lay down and take it. All you are asking for is documentation. They will not take it personally, you are just one among thousands.

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Don't get wound up about the statute barred stuff yet. What you need first is for everything to go on hold and to gather information to see what they have been up to and whether or not they have a case.

So first get your CCA request and SAR into the SLC. I take it the debt is still with the SLC?

You must remember to start each letter with (in BIG bold letters)-

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR ORGANISATION.

THIS ACCOUNT IS NOW IN DISPUTE.

This puts all activity on hold while they scuttle around trying to get all your info. Also, do not sign these letters, just print your name. Or add an unrecognisable scribble which bears no relation to your normal signature, just in case some idiot gets photoshop happy.

The key about this process is to not get flustered by the big questions. Just follow the early steps, gather evidence and then see what you can do.

The CCJ should be able to be lifted if they did not notify you about the court dates or care that you were no longer at that address. But first get as much info as possible about what they have been up to.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Hi emmaf01,

Yes the debt is with SLC, but with their legal dep.

The CCJ has since ran out but I understand they could reinstate, as it's Gov, not commercial.

I'll draft some letters based on what I've seen here.

Cheers,

Even the government needs to follow CCJ "rules"- you have to be notified that the case is coming before the court. If they have served this to an address where you were not living then the CCJ can be dismissed- I think thats how it works. Check in the CAG debt collection section for confirmation.

I have however had personal experience of the SLC legal department. Do a SAR and CCA request. And be prepared to be mystified by there incompetance. I took them to court in the end for charges and they had an outside solicitor deal with it for them. Even she was shocked and exasperated, as SLC couldn't even get ,my account numbers consistantly correct and they were at the top of each letter in big letters.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Thanks again, can you link me to the relevant letters. Been looking and there appears a confusing amount of stuff. An earlier message cast doubt on CCA '74 validity. Requesting original agreement sounds good contender as well. A link to DPA letter & SAR would great. (I'm pretty sure I saw one somewhere!).

Regards,

If your Student Loan is pre-1998 it is covered by the CCA. If afterwards it is not.

Any CCA request can be adapted/tweeked to personalise.

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, Sent off letters to Glasgow... However, within a week the payment for the CCA request was returned with no explanation, but reply was indeed an acknowledgement of the SAR... Does this mean the DPA (SAR) covers the CCA request anyway (with providing copies of original agreement). Or, does this mean they don't recognise CCA requests?

If you have sent your CCA request by recorded delivery (print out proof of receipt) you have proof they have received it.

Please remember you are dealing with the SLC- and how generally incompetent they are! They do send out in the end, you just have to wait for someone who has a brain to have your request land on their desk.

Separate requests involve separate legislation. They may send you your agreements with your SAR, however you have asked via a CCA request which means you are acting via the Consumer Credit Act regarding the enforcement regulations.

I hope that makes some sense??!!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Hi Emmaf01, Thanks for your reply. I did send both completely separately. Strange SLC did not mention or acknowledge CCA request; and returned £1 fee that was enclosed with it. Maybe they didn't like the time constraints around the CCA request (@ 12 days)? Like you say maybe none of it makes sense with SLC. Or, may be they don't have original agreements; although, I think I reads they have scanned them since 1990. I think they have 40 days to reply to SAR so it might take a little while...

They still only have the statutory amount of time to comply with your CCA request. They got it (obviously) but if it is anything like what happened to me, Mr/Ms Bright SPark working for the SLC doesn't have the slightest clue what they are doing. So they have just ignored it all.

Unfortunately for them this behaviour does not absolve them of their responsibilities under the CCA.

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• 2 weeks later...

I took student loans in 1991 to 94. I have always deferred the loans each year as have never earned above threshold to repay them. I was told at time of taking loans that they would be written off when I reached 50 (I was 39 when I took them out and was worried about repaying them). When I reached 50 they said it was 60 because I was over 40 when last loan taken in 1994/5. I am furious as I would never have taken the loans in first place. I will be 56 next month and next month will get a pay rise taking me over the threshold and have made arrangements starting 18th of August to begin repayments. However, i wonder how I fit in with the Statute bar as it has been 17 years since first taking a loand and 12/13 years since I took the last student loan in 1994/95??. I did begin repayments a few years ago maybe 3/4 years ago but only 2/3 payments which I got back from them as I was able to defer it again (lost a job). I have formally complained to them about being misled initially about the age 50 rule and am going through that process, I have also complained to Financial Ombudsman today as well as the SLA come under them now. Can anyone help me at all?? Do I have a leg to stand on?? I am so bitter as I have almost no pension to speak of and only 9 years till I am 65, to save for one. I am also disputing the monthly payments as I worked out using the FSA website calculator that based on my repayments, the SLA interest rate would have to be 6.34% and not the 4.8% they say it is; am waiting for a response about this. Help please someone?????

Sorry for long post but I am fit to be tied as they say. :mad:

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Emmaf01, Thanks for your reply. I did send both completely separately. Strange SLC did not mention or acknowledge CCA request; and returned £1 fee that was enclosed with it. Maybe they didn't like the time constraints around the CCA request (@ 12 days)? Like you say maybe none of it makes sense with SLC. Or, may be they don't have original agreements; although, I think I reads they have scanned them since 1990. I think they have 40 days to reply to S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) so it might take a little while...

Got the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) file back from the SLC... Looks pretty comprehensive, copies of original agreements etc... What do I do now?

What is the last date on this statement that you defered or made a payment?

Last payment was made 1999. (which incidentally was refunded as deferred status was established then, for a period of one year). No payments or contact since (other than 6 wks ago), apart from CCJ issued in 2001 on a previous address I'd left 2 - 3 yrs previously - and they knew I didn't live there, as had kept them up to date at that point.

• 1 month later...

WOW!!! I am NOT alone. I am sooo relieved to find other former students fighting this loan misery that I have been enduring since March. I had no problems (1st loan 1996) despite living abroad since 2001 and had successfully deferred all payments.

As usual, I requested deferrment in March, but the forms were not recieved. I re-applied April time, again the postman evidently found my application so interesting he took it home to read and forgot to deliver it. I wrote to them in July, they ignored my letter. I have since made three more deferrment requests and a complaint via e-mail, the first they couldn't open, the second they ignored and I am awaiting a response for the third. Each time, I have sent a copy of my fixed-term contract and all my payslips for the past 12 months. They are still investigating the complaint.

After 7 months of maladministration I now keep getting letters demanding over 1000 quid.

Some of their staff are extremely rude and (I can't believe this) - there is no-one really to complain to as they handle all complaints internally - no Ombudsman.

However, the most sinister thing is their reference at the top of their letter is: WON (hence my user name) Do they know something I don't?

WON - you can complain to the ombudsman if it's a pre-98 loan. you have to make 3 formal complaints to the SLC first however. send anything to the SLC by recorded delivery , keep proof that the letter / payslips / deferment form etc have been received by them (copy of signature) . Keep copies of deferment forms. They have time limits for responding to your complaints, you can email them. Info on their website.

For in-depth discussion on this topic, see old 'student loan deferment conspiracy ?' thread on this forum page 3 or 4 now. You are not alone.

• 4 weeks later...

Pressure,

Have you had any further contact from the SLC? I am in a similar situation, but I have not had any contact from them since 1996 (see my thread Student Loan - Old Style Help.

I am about to send the CCA / SAR letter off to them, was wondering if you had any further info.

Thanks

Wavey