Car broke down after hitting pothole in Tesco car park

halibut
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5749 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

First of all, forgive me if this is the wrong forum. Please move it if it's better suited somewhere else :)

On saturday, I went to Tesco, and as I was leaving, my car (Renault Espace) hit a pothole right in front of a speedbump (this is on their property). About 20 meters later (just leaving their property), there was a bang, and the car ground to a halt.

I went to one of the trolley lads (a most helpful guy) who helped me push the car to a safer place (as it was currently blocking a road). On the way to the car, I pointed out to him the pothole and told him I'd hit it.

A friend of mine came up to get my shopping and take me home, and we took some pictures of the pothole in question.

Today I gave the keys to a local garage who will collect the car and sort it for me. I explained the symptoms of the fault and they think it may be a driveshaft issue (I have no idea about cars). I asked him if driving over a pothole could cause that, and he said yes. So I explained what had happened, and he told me that if this was the case then Tesco may well be liable.

I phoned the store manager today as a curtesy to let them know what had happened and that the garage would be giving me a report as to what had caused the damage. I also let them know the lad's name with whom I spoke on the day. She told me that when the report comes through, I should go to the store if I wanted to pursue a claim.

So, hopefully this should all go through without a problem. I'll pay for the repairs this week, and then go to the store with the bill and ask them for a reimbursement.

But something tells me it won't be as clear cut as that, and that Tesco will try and evade responsibility.

Just wondering what the best course of action for me to take is :)

You have done all you can at this stage.

Put everything in writing to the store manager, including photos, estimate, dates, times, names of people you spoke to etc. and ask them pass it on to their insurers or head office.

You can always claim on your insurance and let them chase tesco, if you have legal cover to chase third parties for costs. you may loose your no claim initially but should get it back once tesco pay up.

Got the car back, and it was definitely the driveshaft. It cost £130 for recovery and repair (quite reasonable I thought - it's a very trustworthy garage)

The guy there told me that they've done a few jobs stemming from the Tesco store including trolley damage, and things being blown by the wind into the vehicles so he says I shouldn't have any trouble.

I still have the feeling that this may be different as with the examples above, there's no doubt. But the guy did say that because of the actual damage that was done, it's very unlikely that it wasn't caused by the pothole.

So I'm gonna speak to the manager tomorrow (hopefully) and see what she says. I do know that the garage will gladly tell them that it was the pothole that caused the damage so it should go through without a hitch.

What I have found interesting is that despite the signs saying Tesco accept no responsibility for damage to vehicles on their property, they have paid out for damages which don't actually appear to be their fault

You have to hope that Tesco will think it is better to give you £130 (and keep you as a customer) than see you going to Asda.

At the end of the day, it might be sensible to settle on a contribution towards the repairs, based on previous wear and tear to the vehicle.

If they want to fight the matter, you will find it hard to get expert proof that (1) the pothole was the only cause of the breakdown, and that (2) previous potholes, kerbs, speed humps etc had not already weakened the driveshaft - but again that could cost them much more than £130 in solicitors' fees.

If I was Tesco, I would give you the £130 in vouchers - so you had to keep shopping in my store.....

British Shoe Corporation - won :) BT - won :) West Lancs Council - lost :-x 02 - won :) British Airways - still fighting :o STOP PRESS - RSPCA - daughter won with letters I wrote :)

The claim is still with their head office, but I should hear back this week.

But looking at the worst case scenario, if you go to a small claims court, isn't it the case that you don't need to prove 100% what happened, but the court will consider what is most likely to have occured. And seeing as the car broke down instantly after hitting the pothole, and a garage has said that hitting a pothole could cause that damage, wouldn't that make it the most likely scenario?

Guest Old_andrew2018

Late in the day I know, I'd advise all drivers to carry a cheap camera, for the purpose of photographing accidents, potholes, etc.

I had my digital camera with me :)

But I got a letter today from Tesco Head Office apologising and basically saying send them the bill, and offering a replacement vehicle if it's still off the road!

So, all should be well :) Well done, Tesco

(But you still haven't filled in that pothole yet)

But I got a letter today from Tesco Head Office apologising and basically saying send them the bill, and offering a replacement vehicle if it's still off the road!

So, all should be well :) Well done, Tesco

(But you still haven't filled in that pothole yet)

That is because you weren't gready. Well done.