1st Credit issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

My first post on this site. I've come across it recently (fantastic information here :) ) while doing a search in google for ... 1st Credit.

I'm handling this debt on behalf of my wife at the moment, she doesn't need the added stress.

The background is this:

We received a letter back at the end of April/beginning of May informing us that we had an outstanding debt with Natwest, which 1st Credit bought. We thought this a little unusualy as my wife has been repaying debts through a management agency for the better part of 3 years and hasn't recently taken out any new debts at all.

We got in touch with 1st Credit to ask what its about and thats where the fun started. I refused to give out our phone number and the operator promptly got rather stroppy and aggressive. The converstation ended shortly afterwards.

I came across this site which told me about the CCA, so over the phone we asked for a copy of the agreement. I stated I was interested in obtaining a copy and should I send them a mail, they said no. (Silly me)

Luckily though?.. 1st Credit sent us a letter confirming they would make the request from Natwest, who the debt was bought from by 1st credit. This letter was dated the beginning of May.

Since then however, anticipating the arrival of the agreement, we informed our debt management agency who started negotiations with 1st credit.

Fast forward to today; 1st Credit sent us a mail stating we had defaulted on the debt. Interestingly in the time frame only one payment should have actually gone out (we've agreed to pay £53 a month) and oddly the debt is £53 less than the original amount. I believe they have us as defaulted as the payment got there a little too late, perhaps all of a day? But I digress...

We still haven't had a copy of the disputed agreement.

They also had their solicitors send us a mail threatening legal action unless we pay the full amount.

So onto my main point. I'm drafting a letter and firing it off to 1st Credits solicitors.

I'd rather not shoot myself in the foot too much, and as the debt is my wifes she wouldn't be too pleased if I messed this up, so I thought I would post up the letter I'll be send here (minus personal details ofc) to see what you folks make of it.

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:− LCS Client Reference

1st Credit Reference

With reference to your letter dated 10th July referring to potential legal proceedings in the event of non-payment.

I have sought legal advice in this matter.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, I am entitled to receive a copy of the disputed credit agreement on request, regarding the debt in question. This request was made in May 2008. I have a letter addressed to me from 1st Credit Ltd dated the May informing me that a request would be made to the Natwest for this credit agreement. To date I have not seen such an agreement, which I understand we are legally entitled to.

I also understand a copy of the credit agreement should have been supplied within 12 working days of the request.

I am writing to restate that I do not acknowledge this debt and as such will be defending against any court proceedings that your client may wish to undertake. This defense would not least be based on 1st Credit Ltd having failed to provide any proof of this debts existence. As part of such defense, we would also be making an application for Indemnity Costs, again as 1st Credit Ltd have failed to provide proof of this debts existence.

I have enclosed a copy of the letter from your client which confirms they would be making a request of Natwest to provide the credit agreement in dispute.

Furthermore to this, barring any court proceedings, or proof of this debts existence, I ask that no further correspondence making requests for payments of this debt be made. I will be seeking further advice on my legal position in the event of continued requests for payment should no proof have been provided of this debts existence.

I will be sending a similar letter to your client, 1st Credit Ltd, a copy of which I have enclosed in this mail. Copies of this letter and any related to this matter will be kept and presented in the event of any court proceedings.

Yours sincerely

Points to note:

LCS aren't real solicitors - it's just Worst Cretins using a different letterhead.

A CCA request made over the phone can't be proved, and it will be certain that no record of it will exist in their files. You need to send a CCA by post at once, and stop speaking to them on the phone, for any reason at all.

There's really no need to explain how you would defend any action they bring. Let them work it out.

One question: did you receive a Notice of Assignment from NatWest? This is a legal requirement. If so, was it really from NatWest, or was it the sort of fake letter that many DCAs use?

Anyway, I'd send them something like this (assuming it's for a loan or credit card):

Dear Morons

A/c no. xxxxx

Thank you for your letter, on your faux solicitors letterhead, dated (date), the content of which is noted. I do not acknowledge any debt to you or any company you claim to represent. All communication must be in writing.

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me, within the statutory time limit, with a true copy of the executed credit agreement relating to the above account, together with all other documentation required by the Act. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77(6)/78(6) will apply. I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds must not be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with my request, you should confirm this in writing and return the fee.

Take notice that I dispute the alleged debt. I have never received a Notice of Assignment from NatWest, and you have failed to provide any substantive evidence to prove your right to collect. You are reminded that the Office of Fair Trading Guidance on Debt Collection requires that all collection activity is suspended until a dispute is resolved.

If you do not understand this letter, you should seek professional advice. You should ensure that any reply complies fully with the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

Yours etc.

Great, I'll get that letter out to them and see what I get back.

Thanks!

edit: If memory serves (I'm not at home at the moment, so no access to all the letters), the first mail we had for this debt was from 1st Credit, nothing from Natwest at all. I'll put the CCA request into them in writing to formalise it.

Had a brief chat with a solicitor today, he had a good laugh when I said 1st Credit said in a letter they would take 6-8 weeks to provide a copy of the credit agreement, but he recommended I hold off professional legal advice unless I really need it, for over 200 reasons an hour.

My wife isn't sure what the debt is for at all, loan, credit card, overdraft. She doesn't recall any money outstanding to Natwest, that we haven't already, or are already, paying back. 1st Credit haven't done anything at all to clear that up.

Edited by koriod
adding more content

"Worst credit" are just a pathetic bug of a company as everyone knows on here...

Just like most other DCA's... they threten everything that never actually happens.

Ignore them & they soon disappear :rolleyes:

I'm dealt with some right numpties on the phone, these have to be the worst of the lot. The operators act like I've personally stolen money from them.

No more phone conversations with this lot, except maybe after a days work when I need to unwind and shout at someone :-D

Shouting at them is all well and good, but word to the wise you find that when you speak calmly to them they tend not to get as iriate they are human beings afterall withstanding the fact that they have the rotten luck of working for a debt collection agency. I called and spoke to numerous DCA's that they started sending me letters to stop being "padantic" and to stop harrassing them. go figure.