style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5800 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I have started paying Goodwillie&Corcoron for my council tax debt (£1200) which includes their fees. They only accepted £100 a month, on top of my normal council tax payments I am really struggling. Is there anyway I can reduce this ALOT? I can only really afford about £20 a month on top of my normal council tax. Any help would be fantastic!

Can you give us bit of information - you say that your council tax debt is £1200 and that includes bailiff fees - how much are the fees and what are the fees for...

Have you signed a walking posession agreement?

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

You need to find out exactly how much the bailiff fees are and what they are for. £200 where they haven't even got a WP sounds a lot to me - Tomtubby is the expert on bailiff fees...

On the basis that you haven't signed anything and on the basis that you should NOT sign anything. Personally I would keep the doors locked and windows closed and tell the bailiffs that as they are being so unreasonable that I am not going to deal with them at all.

I would then write to Manchester City Council by Special Delivery and ell them that I am not prepared to deal with their agent bailiffs and that I will be paying the council £20 per month direct in respect of my arrears of council tax. You need to tell them that the payment is exclusively in respect of council tax arrears and NOT in respect of bailiff charges. It may also be a good idea to enclose a financial statement to establish that you can't afford to pay any more than that.

Then pay the council direct every month. They CANNOT refuse to accept the payment. They may write to you and say that they are not prepared to withdraw the case from the bailiffs. If they do - then you write back telling them that particular decision is a matter for them BUT you will not deal with the bailiffs and will be paying £20 a month direct to the council in respect of council tax arrears only. You need to keep telling them that your payment is not in respect of bailiff charges.

I, personally, would tell the bailiffs where to stick their fees - but if you want to pay them the starting point is to clarify how much they are and whether they are lawful or not. Once you've worked out how much they really are - how much they can charge is laid down by regulation - if you insist on paying them - give them £1 a month...

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

You need a breakdown of how they've calculated the fees - if they are for attendances you want to know the dates...

Those bailiff fees seem high to me - you need to find out what they are for.

hello

I have contacted them,

very vague!! The first debt of £291.87 (the only one she could tell me about as didnt have my second ref no)(she is sending statement in the post)

Automatic fee £24.50

Levy £33.00

Second visit charge (didnt have a 2nd visit as I contacted them first time) £18

I have drafted this letter, is it ok?

Dear Sir/Madam

RE: account numbers:

I am writing to you with reference to the above.

I am taking my arrears back to Fareham Borough Council. I cannot make the payments forced upon me by yourselves of £100 a month. Last month a sum of £571.74 was taken by mistake by yourselves, which left me in such financial difficulty until it was credited back to my account.

I have set up a standing order with Fareham Borough Council for £10 a month. This allows me to continue paying my current council tax without getting in to more debt. I will not be paying any fees from yourselves. I also think you need to check how many “visits” I was charged for! This is totally incorrect and only adds to my ammunition.

Regards

Cc: Fareham Borough Council