Appearing in Court

Valdez is Coming
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6520 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone...l spent a couple of days in Crown Court last week (as a spectator) and want to reassure anyone who might get as far as the court that it's not the terrifying experience some might think it is.

Briefly, my teenage daughter was assaulted over a year ago and the case eventually got to court last week - full Crown Court proceedings with Judge, jury and prosecution & defence barristers, etc.

The only time l have previously visited a court was as a witness in a traffic accident case about 25 years ago, an experience l had almost forgotten.

Our CPS prosecutor was a charming man, very courteous and approachable and with a dry sense of humour. The court officials and the Judge were all very kind and helpful and - even if the Judge seemed a little unworldly at times - he proved to be highly intelligent and astute and stood for no nonsense from the defence barrister. Indeed, he was particularly kind, gentle and courteous with my daughter & her teenage friends who were called as witnesses and, naturally, were very nervous as they had never experienced this situation before.

The defence barrister, as is his job, tried to twist and turn the facts and cast doubt upon all the witness statements, but the Judge did not let him get away with very much at all.

To my mind, the defence barrister was a slimy little weasel and some of his questions made me want to laugh out loud, so ludicrous were they (l might have laughed had the case not been so serious and had l not been in court!). He certainly did not cause me any concern and l was not over impressed with his mental agility and sharpness. I'm no genius, but l felt l could have matched him in verbal exchanges had the need arisen.

This was a Crown Court case, and the small claims court may well be different, but l can't imagine it being any more scary. The only thing l felt might make anyone of even average intelligence and confidence nervous is the theatre aspect of the courtroom - barristers and judges in wigs and gowns, an air of solemnity, etc. Once the trial started, however, it surprised me how quickly everyone on our 'team' got used to the unusual surroundings.

So don't worry if you do have to go 'all the way'. You will be treated kindly by the court and you can always count on help from these brilliant BGA members.

Good luck to all!

(or even from BAG members!!!!)

• Haha 1

Thanks for that, Coley51.

I'm sure that it will reassure anyone who's claim is pending.:)

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....