council tax liability notice / amount in dispute

337lee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5832 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello

a bit complicated but ill try my best.

council say they overpaid my wife HB/CTB and we appealed.it worked out that yes there was an overpayment but in the tribunal it was noted that she was not actually the main claimant (i was) and so all rent and council tax paid over the last 4 years was paid in error and that my original claim of 4 years ago had never been awarded on.

the upshot of this is that as it was an official error that i could not have known or contributed to , that it was not reclaimable by the council , this resulted in the council not being able to take back the rent of the last 4 years and also having to pay it all again, leaving our rent account some 14k in credit.

however, the council HAVE taken back all monies paid in mistake from my council tax account and left us with a liability notice of just over 2k , about £1100 is from this years bill which as i am no longer claiming benefits is not the problem , the problem is that the remainder which the tribunal said could not be reclaimed by the council , HAS been automatically by bthem and has been added to the liability order.

complicated i know , but would anyone know where i stand on disputed amounts once a liability notice has been served ?, i only have 7 days now to get my employment ,etc details to them and could afford to pay the current years bill monthly over a year but dont want to enter into an agreement to pay anything that is not owed , and have the council acted illegally in taking back the council tax that was originally owed even though the tribunal found in our favour?

thanks in advance for any replies.

I would give them the details they have requested and offer to pay the £1100 over 10 months and state in a letter that you NO NOT AGREE the other £900 is correct and include anything you have from the tribunal to back up your case (e.g the bit that says they cant claim this money back)

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal Experiences/Mistakes lol...