can bank refund my deposit?

khoshtip_uk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5820 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Im having dispute with a garage on refunding my deposit. After doing inspection on a car I decided not to go ahead with purchasing the car simply because the report is suggesting essential repairs prior to buying the car and garage is rejecting the offer to either repair the car or refund my deposit.

I have put this down in writing to them already. And spoken to trading standards about it. Since I made the payment using my debit card they are suggesting me to contact my Bank and ask them to refund it back to my account, they believe banks have such privilege to do so....

Does anyone know if banks have such privilege and whether its better if I walk to branch with all proves (inspection report i.e ) or put it down in writing to them?

I don’t want to try them if its waste of time.

:???:

Thank for the advice

Ali

I belive when it comes to Banks,Insurance and Phone Company's we should challenge them hard even for a penny!! yes, even a penny !! they dont deserve much ! Legal Robbers !!!

You still need to try even it is a 'waste of time'. That would be the easiest way out, and if for some reason they cannot reverse the payment, then you will have tried.

As it is a debit card you may not get the action you require on first enquiry, so you might have to push it with the bank, not all the staff are aware that a payment reversal can be done on a debit card, (or they pretend they don't).

I agree with Conniff. I would only caution that you must not abide by PayPal dispute deadlines as for obvious reasons they exceed the card companies making it much more difficult to have them reverse the charge against PayPal

Also if you have a Visa debit card you have the protection of s75 of the CCA 1974

thanks for all the advice, Im going to write and send a letter to bank today, need some more info about the template and what to say.

shall I attache the inspection report and letters which I sent to the garage ?

Thanks again.

I belive when it comes to Banks,Insurance and Phone Company's we should challenge them hard even for a penny!! yes, even a penny !! they dont deserve much ! Legal Robbers !!!

I did not know you can get debit card money back, I thought Debit card transactions were the same as cash! cheques you can cancel ( if money has not been trnsferred ) if a gaurantee card has not been used.

Are you sure CCA apllies to these. I thought that was only credit cards, not debit cards.