Payed a speeding fine but have been refunded **help please*8

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5818 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK got caught doing 80mph in a 50, was given a £60 fixed penalty, payed my fine and the police sent my liicence off but 3 weeks later i recived a letter in the post along with both my photocard driving licence and paper licence saying they are refunding my £60 because my numbers on the paper licence and photocard don't match up,this is because i lost my photocard licence last summer and replaced it with a new one.

The letter stated nothing will happen for now but i may be issued with a court summons. Now considering i didn't kick up a fuss or contest the orignal fine i can't see why they wil issue a summons. What can i expect to happen in this case as it's baffling me.

:|

Guest Old_andrew2018
OK got caught doing 80mph in a 50, was given a £60 fixed penalty, payed my fine and the police sent my liicence off but 3 weeks later i recived a letter in the post along with both my photocard driving licence and paper licence saying they are refunding my £60 because my numbers on the paper licence and photocard don't match up,this is because i lost my photocard licence last summer and replaced it with a new one.

The letter stated nothing will happen for now but i may be issued with a court summons. Now considering i didn't kick up a fuss or contest the orignal fine i can't see why they wil issue a summons. What can i expect to happen in this case as it's baffling me.

Well they might forget to issue the summons, not too likely but who knows, Keep the letter safe, you may need it later.

:|

Regards

Andy

When I brought a replacement Photocard licence I received a new paper one too.

If it goes to court they could make it more than 3 points and a bigger fine. Though I'd keep all evidence that you didn't try to waste court time and originaly held your hands up to your mistake if they do try to add to it.

If it does go to court you should be able to argue that they should not fine you more heavily than the original fixed penalty as it was not your fault that, having accept the offer of the FPN, that it wa returned to you. As the previous poster saidf, make sure you keep all the letters you have received to enable you to show them to the court.

All the advice above is on the presumption that you do not already have 9+ points on your licence.

If you do, then the reason for the return is that the matter cannot be dealt with via COFP, but has to go to Court for consideration of a 'totting up' ban.

Also, how long ago was the alleged offence? The authorities only have 6 months from date of offence to lay information before the court in order for a summon top be issued. Please note that this si not the same as recieving the summons - a common misconception. It is different in Scotland - the first Court appearance (pleading diet) has to take place within 6 months, AIUI.

As the previous poster saidf, make sure you keep all the letters you have received to enable you to show them to the court.

That may have the effect of keeping the fine/points the same as COPF and may even lead to suppression of any claim for costs. However, the £15 victim surcharge cannot be suppressed (and Mags are not allowed to adjust any fine to allow for the surcharge).

• 2 weeks later...
All the advice above is on the presumption that you do not already have 9+ points on your licence.

If you do, then the reason for the return is that the matter cannot be dealt with via COFP, but has to go to Court for consideration of a 'totting up' ban.

Reason was stated for return of licence in OP. Driving licence numbers didnt match on paper and photocard.