• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Co-OpCard CCA - can anybody find fault with this?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5091 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, that falls over on a number of reasons,

firstly, it is not compliant with S2 Copy documents regs SI 1557 as its not easily legible

secondly, it fails to include the prescribed terms and as a result is rendered unenforceable

In this case we have a running credit account IE Credit Card so it MUST contain the following

• A term stating the credit limit or the manner in which it will be determined or that there is no credit limit

• A term stating the rate of any interest on the credit to be provided under the agreement and

• A term stating how the debtor is to discharge his obligations under the agreement to make the repayments, which may be expressed by reference to a combination of any of the following—

1. Number of repayments;

2. Amount of repayments;

3. Frequency and timing of repayments;

4. Dates of repayments;

5. The manner in which any of the above may be determined; or in any other way, and any power of the creditor to vary what is payable

thanks

does not state credit limit but bottom right has a 'loose' handwritten number in pounds and a tick next to it also handwritten

actually some bits in the black box top right are not legible.. mentions apr being x% up until a date

it mentions also 'I have read the credit agreement overleaf.' - there is nothing on other side.

1.Number of repayments? - not mentioned

2.Amount of repayments? - not mentioned

3.Frequency and timing of repayments? - not mentioned

4.Dates of repayments? - not mentioned

5.The manner in which any of the above may be determined; or in any other way, and any power of the creditor to vary what is payable? - not that I can find...

also no terms and conditions - should these be supplied?

Do I just write back to them ow saying blah not valid blah (better letter link anybody?) and go round in circles... can I now send a letter (seen it ages ago somewhere!) saying they are in default or something and they cannot ask for payment blah nor can they process my data blah. I am due to pay minimum soon so wish to get stuff sorted before I am faced with loads of hassle...

I'm also still trying to find out whether I can still pay a credit card company the minimum payment without somehow admitting the debt?? basically I want to pursue the CCA non compliance a bit longer to actually get somewhere using appropriate departments (are there any?! eg Trading Standards??) before they default me.

Ther is no rate of interest (on a per annum basis) to be charged on any credit.

NB This is NOT the APR which I believe can be just about read in black box at top right.

I dont think it's a coincidence that I eventually get a reply to my initial complaint with Coop. They basically did not factor in the goodwill gesture into my minimum monthly payment and so I got stubborn - and more stubborn... they never replied, wrote again and again and still they ignored my complaint.Sent off request for cca, got the paper as above, sent another letter back stating they ahve not complied legal jargon and lay off basically. two days later I get letter all apologetic about (was a nice letter actually) delay in replying. they try to explain their logic (I disagree) about goodwill gesture and monthly replayment. They then refunded goowill again 70 odd pounds charges and say they are going to lay off until August to let me catch up with the overdue amount.So from no replies after 3 - 4 very long letters over 2 months I get proper reply 2 days after final you aint got no CCA ya boo letter. Coincidence?

• 8 months later...

Had thought that banks etc could only demand the whole total outstanding (credit card) if they had defaulted you in usual manner ie sending of default notice and it not being adhered to?

Co-op sent me letter saying that I had broken agreement and basically they wanted full amount within 7 days (or maybe they said 14....) They then say £60 admin costs been added to my account!!

the account is one month overdue only......... not defaulted, No default letter.

• 2 weeks later...

today the C*apital One send me a letter stating I have to phone them within 7 days etc etc otherwise they 'MAY' be setting some debt collectors on me.

They ignore any complaints letters sent and are now starting to really use aggressive collection practices. They are now enemy no 1.

Am still awaiting FOS adjudicator and ICO to investigate complaints - they are piling up.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

any other advice on a letter stating 'pay us everything' when they have not defaulted you? Is this not 'taboo' or a major 'faux-pas' on their part? (Cannot find thread which seemed to imply this was a mistake on part of credit card company)

any advice / recap on laws etc?

• 5 weeks later...

just check that what they are demanding is not just arears- they have to issue DN and then terminate the agreement and the whole becomes due only after you have failed to comply by the stated date- some of them confuse the issue by saying the MAY take action after the deadline so you need to wait until they actually send you a written demand for the whole lot then they will find it hard to claim that they have not terminated

quite often the cock up the DN

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just 'up' this as I believe they are now up to something!!?

The actual letter stated:

We the Co-op Bank of ....Manchester hereby demand immediate payment of the sum of (lots!!) being the balance due to us in our books. The said sum includes interest to the close of today's business and interest continues to accrue there on until repayment'

(that bit above was in bold)

'Under the current Conditions of Use .. blah .. your agreement with the Bank has been terminated. etc waffle cards return etc.

In the absence of payment or a satisfactory response, the account will be transferred to the Bank's Head Office etc .. which may include the issue of Court proceedings by our solicitors. If you are unable to pay the full balance (!!) within 14 days or we do not receive satisfactory response, your name may be given DCA etc - recorded as defaulting debtor... etc

Blah CRAs difficulty getting money etc waffle

Administration costs of £60 have been debited to your account

Contact us immediately etc'

So that was BEFORE any default notice or any DEFAULT.

I wrote to complain and they ignored me.....

Can I just confirm that this is not acceptable? They stated that they had terminated the agreement but not defaulted me!! They asked for ALL the debt back and I was not in default.

Could any kind soul please guide me to the relevant legislation which might protect me from their next venemous attack. I believe they last threatened me with a default which should have happened last week (not checked).

Can they default me if they have terminated the agreement before defaulting me - does that make sense?

Is this a clear-cut case of them messing up or is it all gray and 'who knows'?

HELP?! :(

My Understanding Is A Creditor Can Terminate An Account At Any Time.

Any Money Outstanding Is Then Repaid As To The Original Agreement.

It Just Means You Get No More Credit.

With A Credit Card, You Just Make The Normal Monthly Payments.

They Cant Default You Unless You Ignore A Default Notice

Wait For More Replies This Is My Own Opinion From What I Have Read

well i think it may be your lucky day-

they have confirmed that the agreement has been terminated

you need a SAR which will show you if a DN had been issued- if so you want a copy of it

until you get this information you are best just repeating that the debt is in default on their part

if they have terminated without a DN ( or with a defective one) you are going to be looking pretty good

IMO there is no need to make ANY payments if they have terminated the agreement in these circumstances

nor can they now re instate the agreement

you might need to confirm with some of the site team but from what you say it looks pretty good for you

• 6 months later...

Can the Co-op:

terminate the account THEN send a default notice some months later and THEN default the account??

I had assumed they had defaulted me but the FOS in their final judgment said how nice co-op had been in not doing so whilst they 'investigated'.

Now I'm guessing the co-op will be chasing big time as the credit card debt is quite a big one :( I now need to get this account in order and back in my head after many months of nothing happening.

Also is a letter from co-op to say account 'is' terminated enough to prove termination or is something else supposed to happen??

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot for the life of me ever figure this out and would appreciate it if somebody could work out for me...

DN arrives this morning.

Dated 8 december

Date to pay by 22 December

Have they allowed me the necessary time or not?

Letter from co-op and has barcode / ref no from UKMail and no stamp.

Letter from co-op and has barcode / ref no from UKMail and no stamp.

In other words there is no proof of delivery at all. Perhaps you never received it?

In any case you have not been given fourteen days to remedy the default and it is therefore invalid.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

Thanks - It's dated 8th - so that's the 9th is day 1 etc?

So 21st is 13 days? Can anybody explain whether this is then ok - more than 12 days? I never get this date issue right in my head. I don;t think I count weekends as the 8th (date of letter) was Tuesday.

Have searched UKMail's website and they pick up the post it seems from whoever and then take it 'last mile' to Royal Mail (saving them money obviously) - I think if I've got it right their business service to likes of banks then is a possible guaranteed 2 days .. or for those tight-bottoms three days..

UK Mail | Services | Mail | Services | UK Deliveries