H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5046 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That sounds like rumour and speculation. Let's look at it closer, shall we?

"the banks have lost the test case" - Considering that the judge's decision is not expected until May at the earliest, and possiby even not until July, we have to assume that your contact at the Halifax has such a close relationship with the judge that the judge told that person what his decision will be a minimum of 2 months before it gets officially revealed.

"compromise agreement at £15 per charge" - If we look at that happened last time the OFT cracked down on the credit card companies, it is highly unlikely to be any compromise agreement, in fact, the banks screamed blue murder at the time about the £12 charge and only reluctantly complied with the OFT's directives when they had no other choice.

I'm sorry, but however nice a story it is, I don't believe it. :oops:

Conspiratorial fool that I am, Bookworm, I don't immediately discount these sort of rumours/speculation. The world usually works out of sight and earshot where agreements are made on a nod and a wink understanding. I've seen it done more than once. It also has the aroma of a well thought out and acceptable "compromise" to sell to the public at large.

Having said that I do realize that this one is speculative as it stands. Time will tell which of us is correct.

Shoestring

I didn't hear it I saw the evidence which came to light during the Information Commissioners Office's investigation of the banks claims that their systems where not subject to the Data Protection Act or disclosure

The Information Commissioners Office visited their storage facility in Milton Keynes before ruling that the banks systems are subject to the Data Protection Act & the data, even that on microfiche' is to be disclosed to the subject

I wouldn't be surprise one bit if the decision has already been made and that all the relevant people know what is going to come and they are been giving a lengthy amount of time to get their bits and peices together so they are prepared for the "payouts" straightaway or the backlash of it all going wrong.

Lets face it, it is too big a case to be given a short space of time to deliver an answer and then have everyone jumping up and down one way or the other so they have to give the relevant people a chance to get their houses in order so to speak!

Just my opnion.

One thing is for deffinite we are going to be the LAST to know!

Ladidi

In court, several bank barristers expressed unease that Mr Justice Smith's eventual findings might leak out in the time between him circulating a draft ruling to the parties to the case, and handing down his final public decision.

"The key point is to ensure there is no breach of confidentiality on the draft judgement," said Mr Ali Malek for the Abbey bank.

Mr Justice Smith said he was "deeply troubled" by such a scenario.

He then decided that his draft judgement would be sent out only to a "very tight circle" of named lawyers for the OFT, seven banks and the Nationwide building society.

Earlier in the proceedings the barrister for Lloyds TSB, Mr Bankim Thanki QC, had expressed concern that once the judge's decision was known the banks would be inundated with calls from customers asking about their claims.

He had asked that the draft judgement be circulated on a Friday to give his bank time to digest it over a weekend and to prepare to respond to its customers.

Now, Mr Justice Smith has decided that he will probably give the parties to the case just 24 hours to respond to any typographical or factual errors.

This is copied from the BBC.

BBC NEWS | Business | Judge mulls bank fees case ruling

I would prepare for every possiblity if i were the banks and that maybe what we keep hearing as gossip. After all the bank staff are human too, and we all gossip...... even MEN...

Hi there,

I was just having a quick read to see if a decision had been made because this evening when I got in from work and checked my Alliance & Leicester account online I found that I had 8 credits at £34.00 (old bank charge fee)on my account the 8 credit entries had dates relating to occasions when I had items reversed from Nov 07 to Feb 08. Against 8 debits of £25.00 (new bank charge fee) so the difference being £9.00 per reversal charge grand total £72.00!! I used to bank with HSBC and let them to go to A & L after I put my Bank Charges refund request. Has anyone else had any refunds back as this has come out of the blue as I've never queried these charges with the A&L.

Outraged, great news!

Bit confused though. Who repaid charges, old account or present one?

I have not heard of this happening, will ask around. Seems strange, but good, that this has happened, due to waiver on charges and no decision until July at earliest.

Kenny

I thought I would update you on a thread I have just read on MSE website. This guy applies for £2500 in bank charges over 2weeks ago from HBOS and they have settled the claim in full. Wonder if that means there is going to be payouts for everyone then espcially as they haven't bothered to argue it or say wait for the judges answers to the test case.

Ladidi

Now in April 2008.... Just wont to know the Judge's decision most ppl will have forgotten that they where claiming at this rate.. I nearly have, possible the gov/bank master plan!. :(

Master Sun SAID:

Ultimate Excellence Lies Not in Winning Every Battle

But In Defeating the Enemy Without Ever Fighting.8-)

Yup, this person made a claim just over 2 weeks ago and won the money back £2500 in total from HBOS.

I would have thought HBOS would have held off and said they are waiting for judges ruling on the case.

Ladidi

It is interesting isn't it?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

I have copied and pasted the guys posting..There has to be something in the pipeline that we are not aware of!!!!!

post_old.gif Today, 1:01 PM #1 pete0773 vbmenu_register("postmenu_9863869", true);

MoneySaving Newbie

rating_0.gif

icon1.gif great success!

Result! From the advice and tips from this site I have just had an offer from HBOS for FULL refund (£2500) on my Bank Charges! Used MSE template, sent letter 17/3/08 so just over 2 weeks.

Thank you!!beerchug.gif

Ladidi

I reckon the guy looked on the site to see what he had to do. Found a template letter he would have to submit, as he may have already bank statements for which he was claiming and hey presto the bank caves in at first hurdle knowing the judge hasn't given the answers to the test case yet. I mean lucky for him that he got is so quickly, as I said begs question does this mean we are in for payouts or are we going to be reading too much into things?????

Ladidi

Don't want to be a wet blanket & would love it to be true But before swallowing this story I would want to know a little more about the OP

Such as how long have they been a member etc Also I'm minded that it was posted in 'April' The month when all the nuts come out of the cupboard

Hmm I see where you are coming from now. Only person who can answer that is person who originally posted. Taking on board what you have said, it has made me more inclined to wait for the Judges decisions and take everyting else that goes on with a pinch of salt!

Ladidi

I have just ben chatting with someone else on another forum who began his claim for £3000 back in March 07. He did not file a court claim but the Co-op have recently offered him £2.5k plus £100 compensation for inconvience suffered.

Now there maybe something in the works or maybe they are feeling generous considering he didn't file a court claim which would allow him 8% interest.

Who knows with the banks these days!!!!!!

Ladidi

Well this guy is long standing member of another forum and joined the forum in the Feb 07 and began his claim in the March of the same year. So if thats not something I dont know what is...

Ladidi

Well the impression I was given by your OP was that he came, he conquered after only using the forum for a short period to use templates during which he hardly posted - is that correct?

I would love to be wrong