FD defaults on Credit files with no Default letter

StuzaTheGreat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5872 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

i'm somewhat confused after reading various threads here. I like many people here have submited the access request and got back loads of photocopies from FD in relation to a default on my credit records.

Now here is my confusion:

In the returned documents I do not have a "Default notice" document. Like many others I have the "Final Notice" demand and no further correspondence from them (apart from the DCA).

Now the question is -

are FD legaly bound to send you a letter entitled "Default Notice" or is there "Final Demand" letter sufficient as they say?

Really hope someone can clear this up for me (and many others here!) :-)

p.s. my case is in relation to a loan.

Have they placed a default on your credit file?

If so, then yes, they do legally have to send you a default notice.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Hi Tiglet,

thanks for that. Had a good read of that and thats the process i'm following.

The question still remains though, are FD correct in saying that there "Final Demand" qualifies as a "Default notice" even though, the words "Default notice" never appear on it?

This seems to be an ongoing question in a lot of the FD sub-forum.

No, IMO, it has to clearly state "Default Notice" to be valid and give you 14 days to make full payment.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Default notices are legal documents that have to contain certain criteria as laid down in the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1993.

They have to contain the following:

• Name and address of creditor issuing default notice and name and address of the borrower.
  • Type of agreement and details of the breach of the agreement.
  • Early settlement figure (for fixed sum only).
  • The action to be taken by you to remedy the situation and comply with the agreement.
  • The next action that the creditor intends to takes, should you fail to comply with the agreement.

It's very important that default notices are correct legally as there is case law which states so:

Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain & Co NLD 14 July 1998.

Hope this helps

Mick

In the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1993 it states that:

(2) Any notice to be given by a creditor or owner in relation to a regulated agreement to a debtor or hirer under section

87(1) of the Act (which relates to the necessity to serve a default notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section

88 before taking certain action by reason of any breach of the agreement by the debtor or hirer) shall contain--

(a) a statement that the notice is a default notice served under section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974;

Therefore it follows that if it doesn't include that statement it isn't doesn't comply with the law regarding default notices.

Hope this helps

Mick :)

You Mick are a legend! Thank you VERY much for finding out that info - where do you guys get all this? I don't have any such luck with Google!

*IF* FD write back now and tell me there letter counted as a default I can happily quote that paragraph and spank em :-)