'Grandfather Rights' pre 1997 licence

Weird Al Yankovic
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4133 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I passed my driving test in 1986. In 2001, due to my job, I had to send the old style licence back to DVLA and I have a green counterpart with the photo part too.

However, my entitlements on the photo card are just B, BE, f,k,l,n,p.

Should it not also state C1 and D1 too? Or is it just accepted I am entitled to those groups by virtue of when I passed my test?

I say this as the DVLA explain the pre '97 laws but their website states that any new licence issued, as in my circumstance, should state C1 and D1 too.

Cheers.

I passed my test in 1988 and I have C1, C1E and D1 on my photo licence.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

I wouldn't accept anything to do with the DVLA as 'just accepted', or the truth. They are a department of the treasury now and not traffic records, they just say they are.

Thanks for that Conniff.

However, what I mean is that if I was stopped driving a 7.5t and produced my licence to the police, and by them calling DVLA, would it be acceptable that even though my licence states just B, BE, the database would show I passed in 86 so I have the entitlement?

Surely if I passed my test back in 86 then there is no doubt I also have these extra entitlements?

Who knows? I have only driven a 7.5 tonner once in the entire time!!

I would contact the DVLA for clarification if they can manage that;)

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Who knows? I have only driven a 7.5 tonner once in the entire time!!

I would contact the DVLA for clarification if they can manage that;)

Hmmm, I've tried but it's a bit of a chore just to get to speak to somebody!

I will try again anyway-they are open tomorrow.

Thanks.

I passed in 1996 not long before all the new rules came in, I had to send my paper licence back for change of address a few years ago so it was a new photo one issued, all my catagories are still there for 7.5 etc. I would contact them and ask for it to be rectified free of charge since its a mistake on their part, saves a lotta hasstle if you get a producer from a cop.

There was a change in classifications, many of them went from a single letter to a X1, where weight limits were restricted. I don;t believe this was in error, it was harmonisation with EU classifications. I think I lost the right to drive 35+cwt vehicles, but it wasn't an issue for me.

I passed my test in 93 and changed to a photocard in 99? my entitlements are B, BE, C1, C1E, D1, D1E, f,k,l,n,p

whatever they all are lol

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

ooo hang on though, on the front it says that the license is valid to 13-22-12, surely that is not right, I thought that the license was valid till your 70th birthday?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

ahhh just read up, you just need to update the license after 10 years to keep up to date with your appearance

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Yes, that's what mine should read. It allows you to drive up to 7.5t.

they wouldn't allow it if they knew me ;):D

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Me too!:D I recently went for a job driving a 7.5t vehicle and at the end of the test they said 'we'll call you.'

Except they haven't!!:lol:

PMPLMAO If yer driving of a 7.5t is that bad what ya worried about it not being on yer licence for? lol :grin: :???: :grin: :???:

PMPLMAO If yer driving of a 7.5t is that bad what ya worried about it not being on yer licence for? lol :grin: :???: :grin: :???:

I've only driven 7.5t a few times and that was years ago. The job I went for (at an airport) offered a bit of training to get used to 7.5t but they were under the impression I had been driving 7.5t for years, a mix up with another applicant.

They looked at my licence and pointed out the missing entitlements, hence, once I get them on, I can commence training.:)

It wasn't that my driving was that bad, although obviously rusty, but more the fact that until I can prove I was always entitled to drive 7.5t on a public road the trainer was a bit worried!

• 4 years later...