Silly amount of default on credit record

junk0r
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5926 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I just checked my credit record. The biggest blemish is from a Student Barclaycard that I last used about 5 years ago, with a limit of £350. I became unable to work in 2003 and got in touch with barclaycard about it; they've lodged a default for £630! :eek:

What should I do? The account was opened in Sept 2000, a bit out of the 6-year data retrieval limit (or is it?)

Thanks for any help!

The account was opened in Sept 2000, a bit out of the 6-year data retrieval limit (or is it?)

No the 6 years will start from when you last acknowledged the debt or made a payment, presumably when you last used it 5 years ago. so it still has a year till it is statute barred. When was the default registered?

Thanks. The last correspondence I received from them was a bill around June 2003, after which I wrote to them, and then nothing since. What are my options? As it's not an enormous bill (and at a pinch I could pay off the debt owed minus charges), I'd rather clear it off my record sooner than wait until Feb 2010 (that's the other option, isn't it?)

You could send a Data Protection Act S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to find out what charges they have made (assuming you no longer have your statements) and then issue a claim.

1. It will reduce the amount owed

2. It will put the a/c in dispute during which time they cannot pursue debt collection. Not that that will stop them trying :D