URGENT Re ET1 Submission - Please Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5917 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My partner is currently in disupte with her employer. She was dismissed under the companies medical capabilties grounds and after no resolution following an appeal hearing has decided to go down the employment tribunal route.

I've been able to help her as much as I can with wording etc however one question which has created some confusion is section 11. My wife was off work with stress and depression (she had a number of things happen over the past 2 years which eventually just ground her down) and is pursuing a claim for disability discrimination.

She certainly doesn't see herself as disabled but her condition fits under this category. Section 11 however asks "Please tick this box if you consider yourself to have a disability" If she doesn't could/would this prejudice her case?

Can anyone give some guidance on this. I initially had said she should say no, however perhaps I'm being a bit naive here.

I am afraid that I can't see exactly where you are confused. You say that you are pursuing an ET hearing under Disability Discimination yet are unsure as to whether to tick the "Please tick this box if you consider yourself to have a disability".

Surely is the claim is for DD, then you would indeed consider that your partner has a disability? To not confirm that you have a disability may see the ET1 returned as incomplete if you cite the reason for the claim as being discrimination.

Have a look HERE for the definition of 'Disability' according to the Disability Discrimination Act. It may help you to decide.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I think the OP is thinking although covered under the terms of the Disability Discrimination Act, as a society we dont normally look at someone who's depressed and say they are disabled. . .although I would say this is societies ignorance more than anything else I guess.

I know I struggled with this issue when I have been involved in a discrimination claim. It's a mindset thing, but one worth getting over

Guest Old_andrew2018

Have you considered sending a pm with link to your thread to members with experience in human resources,

The determination of disability in accordance with the DDA is a legal decision. In your case and in the first instance it will be decided by the employment tribunal.

It is not a decision for the medical profession or any other profession or person. The employment tribunal will rely on evidence from the claimant, the respondent, expert testimony/witnesses and any other source in order to determine if a person is disabled in accordance with the DDA.

Reading behind the lines are you thinking of bringing an unfair dismissal claim without reference to the DDA?

In my opinion and simply in order to progress the claim you need to state that in the claimant’s opinion they suffer a disability.