Council Tax bailiffs - what should I do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5922 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a knock at my door at the beginning of January - the council had kindly passed on the outstanding amount owing for THIS year (2007/2008 ) to Philips. I got a note thru (without any ref.no) and it had gone from just short of £500 to just short of £700. Rang the bailiff, who reckons he won't take anything less than the full amount - not even 2 payments of £350! I have to pay in full and it has to be tomorrow. Rang their office who were equally unhelpful, I must pay their bailiff who 'takes cards with a 5% surcharge'

I've signed nothing and they haven't met me let alone entered my house tthough I do have cars in my drive

What do you all reckon? I've just tried the council automated payment line and everything still works so should I just pay them a bit and tell the bailiffs to sod off?

It seems a little unreasonable to knock back a potential payment of £350....

vbrep_register("1355270")

Pay the council direct and avoid the bailiffs, park your cars elsewhere so that the bailiff cannot levy them and whatever you do dont sign anything or allow the bailiff entry to your house so that meens keeping windows and doors shut and locked

I was able to pay the council the full amount I owed them today, which I did direct on their automated line

The bailiff has rang me several times today informing me I have to pay them the additional charges 'or they'll be round tomorrow'. I quoted the paragraph on charges from the 'advicenow' guide which he claims isn't so! He admitted the call charges were correct, but said the other charges were 'levy' charges placed on the vehicles in my drive. On the first call he called this their 'walking agreement' fee, then on the second call he denied this and said it was a 'levy' and said he'd be back and I would be charged another £100 if I didn't pay him the charges (nigh on £200)

Now, on these visits and levy's, I have had only one note shoved through my door and no notice of any levy.

He admitted I no longer owe anything for council tax but claims they have powers to charge 'what they like'

My own feeling is this is all bull**** - they won't be doing anything cos they can't now as he actual debt has been satisfied, and to add insult to injury the fees they want paying for they won't account for on paper!

What do u all reckon?

If a levy had taken place then paperwork showing this levy would of had to be left with you, this is clearly not the case, now that the council are paid in full (request a statement of account from the council btw incase you ever need it as proof) the powers which the bailiff originally had are no more, they are now nothing more than a debt collector with no powers to remove goods etc, generally they will give up with time knowing that if challenged on their fees it would be rather embarrassing for them to have to explain to a judge how they arose, if your concerned im sure tomtubby can offer a letter for you to send the bailiff company

Locksmiths? they are having a laugh arent they :rolleyes: note the use of "may" as it covers a variety of situations (ie standard form) unless they have entered your property by either an open window or door or with your permission they cannot force entry, once they have entered by the above methods they can however return and enter using force hence never let them in and keep doors and windows shut tight

I think the bailiff today was merely disappointed he wasn't getting his slice of the cake... he didn't like being faced with facts and in the end decided 'this conversation's going nowhere'

At 2 o'clock he had a 'walking possession' by 4.45 it was a 'levy'

I asked for a breakdown of these charged he simply said if I don't pay him 'today' they'll be round to exercise their levy.

Unfortunately for him I know these people are trained bullsh---ers and will say anything to get "their" cash

If anyone does turn up, police will be called pronto to stop a breach of the peace... I'm not expecting it though

This is why it would be a very good idea to have a statement of account from the council and perhaps print out the relevant bailiff law ready should the police not be aware of the rules which sadly in a number of cases they are not

Well, thanks a lot for all the misinformation guys

A wnkaer at East Riding Council inform me the shi t heads at Philips can charge for as many visits as they like, levy without paperwork and I still have to pay them

Thanks a millions guys

The lump of turd arrived this morning at 9.30 clamped my car called the idiotic police and I was arrested for trying to move my own clamped car in my own private drive ('breach of the peace' apparantly) and thrown ina cell for 4 hours before being released with a fixed penalty ticket. missed an essential meeting and was embarrrassed in public and apparantly we're all in the wrong. Oh yeah and a trapped left hand nerve or asomething thru being cuffed - my hand keeps spasming and freezing

How do I find £173 for tomorrow, answer me that!

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...