• Tweets

• thread title updated. so a sold debt. who are the solicitors? TM legal? why didn't ovo do this themselves as they do but chose to sell the debt on for 10p=£1? funny debt you state you reived a letter of claim, why did you not reply too it.? also is there is no indication of the date this bill comes from on the claimform? how do you know its from 2022? what other previous paperwork have you received? please scan page 1 of the claimform and bothsides of ALL previous letters upto one mass pdf read upload carefully. .................. pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’. Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time. You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID. You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.  then log in to the bulk court Website https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/466952-lowelloverdales-claimform-old-cap1-debt/?do=findComment&comment=5260464 .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website get a CPR  31:14  request running to the solicitors [if one is not listed send to the claimant] ... https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ type your name ONLY Do Not sign anything .do not ever use or give an email . you DO NOT await the return of ANY paperwork  you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count] ..............  
    • Thank you again. I'm hoping it will come out in the wash and will endeavour to check my online account. I'm a bit unsettled by not hearing from Booking.com but the host is sounding helpful at the moment. HB
    • I've just remembered that a friend of mine had bookings cancelled on Booking.com about a month ago - and the good news is that all worked out in the wash. I'm at work now but will scribble properly in a couple of hours with the full tale.
    • Thank you Dave. I've had nothing from Booking.com, just a message via the site from the host. I know I need to check my bank account, just trying to resolve some technical issues. HB  
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Civil National Business Centre Name of the Claimant ? JC INTERNATIONAL AQUISITION How many defendant's  joint or self ? Self Date of issue – 22 May 2024  Particulars of Claim What is the claim for – 1. The def owes the claimant £300 in respect of gas and electricity charges supplied by OVO. 2. Debt was assigned to the claimant with notice given to the def. 3. Despite formal demand the def has failed to pay the debt and the claimant claims £300 and further claims interest pursuant to s69 of the CCA 1984. What is the total value of the claim? £385 Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? Yes   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No   Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Energy debt When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? After Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Moved home and they were the current energy supplier  Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax/Etc...) ? No Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Debt assigned to JC International Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Not sure probably  Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Again can't remember but probably  Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? No Why did you cease payments? Changed supplier What was the date of your last payment? Never  Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help!Tesco cedit card

maggie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5724 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The documents in posts #17 and #18 are two sets of T&Cs - both have the prescribed terms but neith has your signature. To be an enforceable agreement, a document nust have both - your signature and the prescribed terms on the same sheet of paper (whether on the same side or back-to-back). Unless one of tee is the back of

the document of post #23 they have not sent you a copy of an enforceable agreement (although, bizarrely, they have complied with s78(1) of the CCA 1974 :rolleyes:)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Maggie,

I had the same problem with Tesco - same dodgy application form, lots of pressure from them and their despicable debt collection agencies - and they ended up trying to take me to court for it

Happily, once I put in a defence to their claim, they dropped the case like a stone. Hope that gives you food for thought in your fight against them. Remember - 99.9 % of what they say is bluster and lies, they will try every trick in the book to make you think you have no chance when in reality they know they have no case. If you want to see how they work, this is the link:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dca-legal-successes/116860-ccj-but-no-claim.html

Cheers, BAE :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ,so sorry I haven,t posted for a while,lot of stuff going on at the moment.

I received documents from my SAR ,but they are only statements of the credit card account going back 6yrs.The charges placed on the account are not above £15.00.I am certain that the charges before the oft investigation were between £30-£35.00.

As for the credit agreement they sent me,thank you both for informing me that it is not enforceable,but I may have a slight problem with this.

Each month a direct debit has been used on this credit card,to pay a utility bill.(which is still ongoing ,even though they have informed me by letter twicw,that the card has been withdrawn)

Does this mean that this would go in RBOS favour,and I would be liable for this debt ,even though they have not sent me the properly executed credit agreement?

I don't think it is a question of going in RBOS' favour. The puropse of all this is not to get out of paying legitimate debts but of getting unsrupulous, greedy lenders off users' backs. RBOS may not be the most unscrupulous but they are certainly one of the greediest.

Hi Steven,

what I meant was that I would be unable to pay the amount they are requesting off me ,as my financial situation is appalling at the moment.They rang me last week ,and asked me to contact customer services.A few days ago ,I received a letter from them asking me to write down all my incoming and outgoing expenditures.I am at the end of my tether,feeling really miserable and extremely worried about this,and I honestly don,t have any idea on what to do next.

And charges have been added to this account for the past couple of years ,since my financial situation has declined.

Please could you give me some advice on what my next step should be.

Thanks Maggie

Sorry maggie, didn't mean to appear to criticise :oops:

If they have added charges, you should start the process to reclaim them. If you have statements, you can calculate the charges and send prelim letter straight away. If not, you will need to send a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) for them

Next, you need to get control of you debts (do you have others?) Produce a statement of Income and Expenditure which you can use to prioritise your debts (if there are more than just this one) and use to negotiate minimum payments with your creditor(s).

Hi Steven,

I have already received statements from my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request,but I am sure that the charges placed on them are the wrong amount,as there are a quite a few charges of £15.00 from over 3 yrs ago.I don,t know if I am mistaken,but I am pretty positive that 3 yrs ago ,their charges ranged between £30-£35.The remaining charges on the statements are for £12.00.

Yes I have other debts and I have managed to come to a compromise with one or two,but they still keep charging me and adding interest on top,I feel as if I will forever be paying to them all.Tesco credit card will take me a lifetime and more to pay off.I am sick to death of all of it.

I'm afraid I can't help with charge rates on these cards. However, you are not going to be able to prove anything other than what is on the statements so reclaim that. Makesure you include interest levied on the charges and compound interest on top - see my Goldfish thread - feel free to use the letters, etc on there.

I think you need to approach your debts systematically - most creditors will agree to stop charging interest at least for a while. Have you done an I&E statement recently?

most debt counselling services have an incoming and outgoing sheet printed ready for you to fill in you couls do one of these and send it with one of the letters from the libary asking them to stop adding interest and asking if they could put you on a repayment plan

Thank you Steven and Checkoutdolly,

I will follow the link from the national debtline,and sit down and work out my i&e list.

I will post later,once I have worked everything out.

I appreciate your help.

Maggie

• 2 months later...

I haven,t posted for quite a while due to having some medical tests,and being ill with shingles.I am very worried now ,as I received a letter from Triton credit services this morning,dated 24 th July.,informing me that it is a notice of legal proceedings.

They have now reccommended Tesco ,that solicitors should be instructed to commence court proceedings against me for this debt,and that I would be liable for court costs.

A bailiff will visit me at home and take my belongings to sell.

A charge is placed against my property.

my husbands employer deduct monies from his salary or wages to pay the debt.

I attend court and submit to a personal detailed examination under oath,of my personal financial affairs before a senior officer of the court or district Judge.

They then say that they would prefer to come to a satisfactory arrangement with me to settle this debt,and to give them a ring to discuss the repayment .

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, Maggie,

Sorry to hear of your health problems.

The threats from Triton are typical and designed to frighten you into paying. Their threats of bailiffs etc are empty and pretty meaningless at the moment because in order to send in bailiffs, they would firstly need to get a court judgement against you, (CCJ), and then you would have to stop paying whatever the judge ordered you to pay, (eg, the judgement may say that you had to repay the debt at £10 per month - if you keep to it, they can't do a jot!).

However, in my opinion, you have a very strong case against them enforcing the debt in court AT ALL as the CCA does not contain the prescribed terms! All the recent terms and conditions they sent you are laughable, really, and of no relevance at all to the original agreement, (as you also noted in a previous post;)). If they do take you to court, there are some excellent people on here who will guide you every step of the way in preparing a great defence. :)

For now, here is a simple letter that should get Triton off your back, give you a little breathing space and return the account back to Tesco.

Obviously, you will have to edit the letter to suit; you may want to put it in stronger terms(!) and give some general account of your health problems.

Dear Sir or madam

Thank you for your letter of xxxxxx. I am very disappointed that you keep harassing me for a debt that has been in dispute with your client, Tesco Credit Card, since xxxxxxx(date you put the account in dispute).

By pursuing me for a debt that is clearly in dispute I believe that you have breached the Administration of Justice Act 1970 and may have committed a criminal offence. I will be forced to contact the police if this unlawful harassment continues and will remind you of your obligations:

The Administration of Justice Act 1970.

Section 40 of the act provides that a person commits an offence if, with the object of coercing another person to pay money claimed from the other as a debt due under contract, he or she:

(a) harasses the other with demands for payment which by their frequency, or the manner or occasion of their making, or any accompanying threat or publicity are calculated to subject him or his family or household to alarm, distress or humiliation;

(b) falsely represents, in relation to the money claimed, that criminal proceedings lie for failure to pay it;

© falsely represent themselves to be authorised in some official capacity to claim or enforce payment;

(d) utters a document falsely represented by him to have some official character or purporting to have some official character which he knows it has not.

Please be aware that I am fully aware of my rights and your responsibilities. I do not want and will not accept phone calls from your organisation. Any correspondence is to be by post only. Moreover, if I find that you have defaulted this account, when in dispute, I will take action to remove it and will be forced to report Tesco / Triton to Trading Standards. As you know the Banking Code, section 13.6/7 protects the consumer against this sort of defamation.

I will also expect an apology for your behaviour and a guarantee that the account has been returned to Tesco, by return of post. I enclose copies of letters I have sent to your client which clearly show that the debt is in dispute.

Yours faithfully,

(just type name)

I am not sure how your health problems will affect the dispute but I guess that any DCA or financial company who pursues vulnerable or unwell individuals could be breaking OFT guidelines. Someone else may advise of this.

Hope this helps, BAE :)

Edited by Blossomandebony

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Blossomandbony,

I have received a letter from a firm of solicitors on the 12th august,that they are about to instruct court proceedings against me.To be honest,I have been unwell for the past few months,and have had to attend hospital casualty ,more than twice this month, ,as I have been in great pain ,and I also have a scan appointment for next Tuesday,and I haven,t fely well enough to send the above letter to Triton.

Is it too late to do anything about this ?I am worried sick.

Maggie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi SAB,

No news yet.To be honest,I am afraid what the postman will bring .I hate to see him coming through my gate.

Maggie

Hi, Maggie,

Glad you are doing better health - wise and standing up to these vultures!

I know what you mean about dreading the postman, I used to be the same, but DON'T lose sleep over this matter - you will win this one!

BAE :)

I have received a letter from Triton,in reply to the letter I sent them above,with Blossomand boneys help.it states.-

In you recent letter ,you have stated that this account is considered in dispute and as such by contacting you requesting payments are actions tantamounting to harassment.We refute your satements as false however,as Tesco personal Finance have confirmed you have been provided with all the requested information and as such this account is not considered in dispute.

Accordingly you remain obligated to repay these funds in their entirety and any further correspondence from you of this nature will not receive a response.

you are now required to contact our office within 7 days from the date of this letter with your proposals for payment.

Failure to comply with the above will leave us no alternative but to take further action against you without warning or delay.

we trust this clarifies the situation for you.

The letter is dated september 2nd.

Help !!!!

Hi, Maggie,

This is a standard response, designed to make you call them and agree to a payment plan you can't afford. Whatever you do, don't call them.

I would simply send a letter to reiterate your stance. Alternatively, leave things to take their own course.

There is always the possibility they may follow through and actually take this to the court stage - and if so, they are even more stupid than we first imagined. Don't forget, they have an agreement without the prescribed terms, therefore totally unenforceable by any judge due to House of Lords precedent. What's more, they've tried to convince you otherwise in the most underhanded way, by sending a new set of terms and conditions, which are totally inapplicable and cannot be linked to this account!!

Beyond belief!!

BAE :)