Dark the Newbie Charged by NatWest: Help plz?

Dark Machine
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5965 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I'm a Student at University who at the start of the year moved into private accomodation with a friend. Thinking I wanted to do right by him and make everything transparent I foolishly opened a joint-account with him using Natwest, whom I already had a standard student account with.

Because the account was simply for paying bills we thought nothing of them refusing to give us an overdraft on it. Saying that because we both already had Student accounts they couldn't offer us a joint overdraft.

Due to British Gas taking out a payment unexpectadly early, we were £5 short of money in the account and were charged. I didn't even know charges existed until these events occurred by the way. Naturally, when we recived letters about non-payment from our Gas, Electricity, Phone and Internet providers, we put more money in, utterly mystified by the problem. Due to us living away from home we did not recieve account details or the ability to check the account until November. The Charges had started in early October. Shocked, we paid off all the charges but, being students, they are much more of a significant hit on our finances.

In total, we were charged 5 times for unpaid Direct Debits (The Gas, leccy etc.) at £38 a go. Along with 2 months worth of unarranged overdraft fees at £28 a month. The interest doesn't interest us as it is insignificant.

In total, we've been charged £246. We'd like to reclaim this money. (Mate's going to Japan for a year abroad next year and NEEDS all the money he can get.) However, my friend is not financially minded and I feel responsible for making a mess of things. I've read the FAQ's on this site and several others and am seeking advice and guidance on what to do from square one. I know the general order of things, but would like help. All the information in the FAQ's is a bit scary being honest.

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Dark

Hi tilly.

Yeah I read about this in the FAQ. Because the Charges were only 4-3 months ago I have access to the statements online and have copied them onto a spreadsheet on my computer.

Do I now simply send the first letter requesting money to the bank along with the list of charges and wait?

The thing that most concerns me is the events after this letter is rejected, with the OFT Test Case and all. Also scary is the compiling of evidence should I need to go to court. Will I then NEED these statements? Being a student, I'm also concerned about the costs of the entire process.

hi ya

if you have all your statements and have a done a spready

then yes you can send off your prelim giving them 14 days to

respond then send your letter before action again with a copy

of your schedule of charges adding no interest at this stage.

have alook in this link you may be exempt from court fees

County Court fees and exemptions