One-Way street (3 pointS), but I wasn't the driver

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5994 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've got Traders insurance which permits me to drive any car, I also have a very big family, with a lot of cousins. Nearly all of them know my date of birth and where I live and they also know I have traders insurance.

One of these dodgy guys got pulled over driving down a one-way street and claimed I was the driver, he even had the vehicle insured on my name?!?!? He's only got a provisional not even a full license, Has a result he says I've got 3 points on my name, and that he's very sorry and he'll never drive the car again till he gets his full license.

What would you guys do in my position, just need some advice. First and foremost I don't intend to rat anyone out, if they ask me, I'll say I wasn't the driver, and if they ask who he was... I'll have to say "No comment", I don't lie and will do my best to keep it like that till the day I die.

Any advise is appreciated, as they say you can choose your friends but not your family.

Your best bet is to prove that you were somewhere else when the 'offence' happened.

He must surely have had to either produce documents there and then, or later at a police station, which would have verified his identity and that of the vehicle he was driving - license, insurance and MOT.

As you've been named by someone else, I cannot understand why (if you wish to clear your name) that you don't treat him as he has treated you. You should also know that he has committed other offences (presumably perverting the course of justice, or similar) by lying to the police, as well as fraud charges for obtaining insurance in your name.

Personally I would do everyting within my power to prove my innocence, including ratting him out - but if you choose not to do this, you have a much lower chance of clearing your name.

You won't, yet, have got the points in your name. I assume they'll write to you saying you are being prosecuted for the offence, and at some point you'll need to send your license off in order for the points to be added. You should have the opportunity to sign to say "it was me..." and accept the penalty (3 points) or to claim that it wasn't...

There's nothing to be gained from keeping quiet if you know who it was. He was quick enough to blame you without considering the consequences. You cannot choose your family, but you can make them responsible for their own actions.

This could get very nasty.

Who is the car registered to. Assuming it is to the guy who was driving, he can be tracked via DVLA.

This will happen if you say you weren't the driver. If you say now comment you will get the rap.

IMHO there are two ways out of this mess. Firstly to persuade (or get other family members to persuade) this individual to visit the nick, to own up and take his medicine. Secondly is for you to take the points (you can say that you have no recollection but as you drive so many cars it is possible) and figure out in a family way how your cousin can make matters good.

Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive! Sir Walter Scott

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Thank you guys, for the advise and some very wise words there.

I think I'll speak to him and see if he's likely to hold true to his promise of not driving the car, I.e handing the keys over to me, if he does then I will take the points. If he doesn't then I'll go down the route of "I wasn't the driver" and since the vehicle is registered in his name, Let him face responsibility for his actions.

Again, thanks for the advise, really appreciate it.

Updated: Or see if he wants to visit the nick and take his own medicine, something I highly doubt will happen :p

Avocco. Don't forget that those three points may increase your insurance premium.At the very least he should pay the increase. You should also bear in mind that 3 points only leaves you 9 before a ban, so if your living depends on driving you should give some serious thought to voluntarily having points on your licence.