FSA letter to Master of the Rolls?

crfx250
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6013 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Our ref: FOI0820

Dear crfx

Freedom of Information: Right to know request

Thank you for your request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the Act), for the following information:

"… a copy of FSA's letter of 26 July to The Master of the Rolls recommending that claims be stayed."

Following a search of our paper and electronic records I am writing to tell you that we do not hold the information you are seeking. The FSA has never written to the Master of Rolls recommending that claims be stayed.

Yours sincerely

Roisin Traynor

Information Access Team

Financial Services Authority

Direct line: 020 7066 9832

Local fax: 020 7066 1051

Email: [email protected]

----- Original Message ----- From: crfx

To: Freedom of Information Financial Services Authority

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 11:20 AM

Subject: Re: Freedom of Information - Right to Know

Dear Ms Traynor

Thank you for your e-mail of 21 November.

In it you claim that the FSA has never written to the Master of the Rolls recommending that claims be stayed but I am not convinced that this the case.

On my instruction, law firm Finers Stephens Innocent have approached the Master of the Rolls for a copy of the letter and their correspondence to date does not include a denial of its existence.

But regardless of this, as the FSA has clearly stated ''This action means that, until the test case is resolved, any bank or building society that applies for the waiver will not be required to handle complaints relating to unauthorised overdraft charges within the time limits set out in the FSA rules. The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) has adopted a similar approach and the county courts are expected to follow'' it would follow that the FSA would have had some communication with the Master of the Rolls or at least a senior representative of the judiciary to have formed this opinion.

Therefore I would like to amend my FoIA request to: Please supply me with all correspondence between the FSA and any area of the judiciary that contributed to the FSA's view that county courts were expected to stay cases.

Yours sincerely

crfx