Gluten Free Bread, Whats the best please ??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5453 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

About 6 months ago, Mrs Lex discovered she had a intolerance to bread and wheat flour. So we are now on the holy grail of 'Gluten free' stuff. :confused:

So far we have found good pasta (Tesco free from range) and crisp bread crackerey things (Nairns oat cakes) but a 'nice' gluten free loaf or bread recipe seems like a impossible task. The ones we have found either taste like **** or fall to bits, some even 'melt' if you try and toast it :eek:

Please, if you know of a good preprepared loaf or a good recipe and gluten free flour, let us know. Poor Mrs Lex just wants her breakfast toast back :( .

Thanks Folks

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The problem is that, like all foods, it comes down to a matter of taste.

It's a matter of trying every brand you can find until you find one you like.

Some of the "own-brand" foods can be very good and most of them are actually made by the large national bakeries with own-brand packaging.

I wish you success with your search.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Is the intolerance to wheat or to gluten?

If you don't know it, gluten is the stuff that gives dough its elasticity, and it is possible to buy gluten powder to make bread with non-wheat flour, like soy flour.

I like Burgen soy and linseed bread, Iceland sells it at 2 for £2 at the moment. Lower in carbohydrates than normal bread, easier on sensitive stomach, and good for intestinal transit.

If you decide to make your own, I can dig you a recipe out which is gorgeous, but it depends on whether it is the gluten that is the issue or not and you will have to order some of the ingredients online.

Hi Bookie and Rooster,

Thanks for your replies. :D

We suspect it's wheat allergy/intolerance, Mr's Lex can eat Chinese food, which is full of MSG, without any problem.

She really needs to have the allergy test's but making Mr's Lex do something when she is busy at work is a whole new forum, let alone thread ;)

We have gone though most of the supermarket 'own brand' loaf's, rolls and baguette's but they are pretty grim to say the least :(

Somebody must make a nice one, I hope.

All idea's and suggestion's welcome.

Alex

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

&

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks Bookie,

Iceland here we come !!! :D

Lex

&

Try the Burgen one, like I said, you'll soon know whether that gives her problems or not. It is really very nice.

I have to concurr, the Burgen one is simply delicious :D

• Haha 1

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

You do know that gluten free bread needs to be microwaved for a few seconds to freshen it up otherwise its like chewing a brick. I didn't learn this until several months after being diagnosed as coeliac and had refused to eat the bread because it was so awful.

Even with microwaving alot of them are still pretty awful. Morrisons home brand do a nice baguette and Tescos home brand do some nice hot cross buns. For sliced bread Dietary Specials are the best brand I've found.

Gluten free food is sooo expensive. If your wife is found to be coeliac she will be able to obtain gluten free foods on prescription. I'm not sure if this is available for allergies/intolerance other than coeliacs but may be. Some of the part baked bread available on prescription is almost like the real stuff.

• Haha 1

Hi Bookie - I can make as many 'bricks' as you could care to mention! Either as lardy - that if you sprinkled in a few sultana's, you could have very gooey bread pudding, or otherwise bread drier and as flat as an over cooked pizza base!

Just nice, fresh from the oven, fluffy bread would be just gorgeous! Something you could just toast & add butter to! Or strawberry jam, Peanut butter etc.....

My attempts at bread look like rawly cooked sago pud! Normally I'm pretty good in the kitchen!

Thankfully Mr Lex can still eat and enjoy his menu.

All help gratefully recieved

Mr & Mrs Lex

My cousin is a coeliac. She runs a business down in the South West cooking loads of stuff. She makes pastry out of spuds!!! I can PM you their website if you like. I think there maybe an email address on there so you can chat to her.

Here is a pic of her egg & bacon tart:-

eggandbacon.jpg

And a chocolate cake. (Mmmmmmm)

minichocolatecake.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

Brilliant Jowalshy,

A link would be appreciated.

Thank you zoot, they will all get a try :D

There has to be a 'nice' one out there.

As Mr's Lex's official taster I'll let you Know !!

Lex

&

Hi Zoot :D and everyone else,

Have you found a good flour for making dumpling's ?

I have just found a recipe to die for, Fillet steak, Oxtail Pudding and Braised Veggies. So that's Christmas sorted :p

However I don't want to spoil it by producing 'cannonballs' instead of Dumpling's.

Do we have a recipe page anywhere ? If you used 'Chuck steak' instead of Fillet this could be a winner !!

Mrs Lex

125g rice flour 25g potato flour 50g gf suet 2tbsp low fat yogert 1tsp dried mixed herbs 1 1/4 tsp baking powder black pepper water to mix when mixed pop into your casserole and let them cook 15 to 20 minuets lovely

this is a recipe for dumplings

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

I think it must be like sprouts at Christmass, everything else is so nice there has to be just ONE thing to keep the balance!!! :p

&

I think that it could possibly do with making the dumplings a bit lighter????? Maybe the normal yoghurt would make them sink.

Mrs Lex will be along under her own name to thank you all soon :lol:

&