• Tweets

• Hi, despite saying you would post it up we have not seen the WS or EVRis WS. Please can you post them up.
    • Hi, Sorry its taken me so long to get round to this, i've been pretty busy today. Anyway, just a couple of things based on your observations.   Evri have not seen/read my WS (sent by post and by email) as they would have recognised the claim value is over £1000 as it includes court fees, trial fees, postage costs and interests, and there is a complete breakdown of the different costs and evidence. I'd say theres a 1% chance they read it , but in any case it won't change what they write. They refer to the claim amount that you claimed in your claim form originally, which will likely be in the same as the defence. They use a simple standard copy and paste format for WX and I've never seen it include any amount other than on the claim form but this is immaterial because it makes no difference to whether evri be liable and if so to what value which is the matter in dispute. However, I have a thinking that EVRi staff are under lots of pressure, they seem to be working up to and beyond 7pm even on fridays, and this is quite unusual so they likely save time by just copying and pasting certain lines of their defence to form their WX.   Evri accepts the parcel is lost after it entered their delivery network - again, this is in my WS and is not an issue in dispute. This is just one of their copy paste lines that they always use.   Evri mentions the £25 and £4.82 paid by Packlink - Again, had they read the WS, they would have realised this is not an issue in dispute. They probably haven't read your WS but did you account for this in your claim form?   Furthermore to the eBay Powered By Packlink T&Cs that Evri is referring to, Clauses 3b and c of the T&Cs states:  (b)   Packlink is a package dispatch search engine that acts as an intermediary between its Users and Transport Agencies. Through the Website, Users can check the prices that different Transport Agencies offer for shipments and contract with the Transport Agency that best suits their needs on-line. (c)  Each User shall then enter into its own contract with the chosen Transport Agency. Packlink does not have any control over, and disclaims all liability that may arise in contracts between a User and a Transport Agency This supports the view that once a user (i.e, myself) selects a transport agency (i.e Evri) that best suits the user's needs, the user (i.e, myself) enters into a contract with the chosen transport agency (i.e, myself). Therefore, under the T&Cs, there is a contract between myself and Evri.   This is correct but you have gone into this claim as trying to claim as a third party. I would say that you need to pick which fight you wan't to make. Either you pick the fight that you contracted directly with EVRi therefore you can apply the CRA OR you pick the fight that you are claiming as a third party contract to a contract between packlink and EVRi. Personally, I would go with the argument that you contracted directly with evri because the terms and conditions are pretty clear that the contract is formed with EVRi and so if the judge accepts this you are just applying your CR under CRA 2015, of which there has only been 2 judges I have seen who have failed to accept the argument of the CRA.   Evri cites their pre-existing agreement with Packlink and that I cannot enforce 3rd party rights under the 1999 Act. Evri has not provided a copy of this contract, and furthermore, my point above explains that the T&Cs clearly explains I have entered into a contract when i chose Evri to deliver my parcel.    This is fine, but again I would say that you should focus on claiming under the contract you have with EVRi as you entered into a direct contract with them according to packlink, as this gives less opportunites for the judge to get things wrong, also I think this is a much better legal position because you can apply your CR to it, if you dealt with a third party claim you would likely need to rely on business contract rights.   As explained in my WS, i am the non-gratuitous beneficiary as my payment for Evri's delivery service through Packlink is the sole reason for the principal contract coming into existence. I wouldn't focus this as your argument. I did think about this earlier and I think the sole focus of your claim should be that you contracted with evri and any term within their T&Cs that limits their liability is a breach of CRA. If you try to argue that the payment to packlink is the sole reason for the contract coming in between EVRI and packlink then you are essentially going against yourself since on one hand you are (And should be) arguing that you contracted directly with EVRi, but on the other hand by arguing about funding the contract between packlink and evri you are then saying that the contract is between packlink and evri not you and evri.  I think you should focus your argument that the contract is between you and evri as the packlink T&C's say.   Clearly Evri have not read by WS as the above is all clearly explained in there.   I doubt they have too, but I think their witness statement more than anything is an attempt to sort of confuse things. They reference various parts of the T&Cs within their WS and I've left some more general points on their WS below although I do think  point 3b as you have mentioned is very important because it says "Users can check the prices that different Transport Agencies offer for shipments and contract with the Transport Agency that best suits their needs on-line." which I would argue means that you contract directly with the agency. For points 9 and 10 focus on term 3c of the contract  points 15-18 are the same as points 18-21 of the defence if you look at it (as i said above its just a copy paste exercise) point 21 term 3c again point 23 is interesting - it says they are responsible for organising it but doesnt say anything about a contract  More generally for 24-29 it seems they are essentially saying you agreed to packlinks terms which means you can't have a contract with EVRI. This isnt true, you have simply agreed to the terms that expressly say your contract is formed with the ttransport agency (EVRi). They also reference that packlinks obligations are £25 but again this doesn't limit evris obligations, there is nothing that says that the transport agency isnt liable for more, it just says that packlinks limitation is set. for what its worth point 31 has no applicability because the contract hasn't been produced.   but overall I think its most important to focus on terms 3b and 3c of the contract and apply your rights as a consumer and not as a third party and use the third party as a backup   
    • Ms Vennells gave testimony over three days, watched by those affected by the Post Office scandal.View the full article
    • Punters are likely not getting the full amount of alcohol they are paying for, a new study suggests.View the full article
    • no you need to get reading up..... everything is explained time and again in the threads i linked you too. sorry i thought you'd filed your defence? doesnt matter, try in daylight hours each day , a couple of times. you've weeks there is no rush at all. to file it.     if you did .....ideally you need to remove para 1 from your defence then.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

LBA from Optima Leagal Services*WON* DISCONTINUED BY CONSENT*****

Viano
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5381 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK - the hearing will be transferred to your local Court after you return the "Allocation Questionnaire". So no worries about that. Plus, if you win you can probably counter-claim for your (reasonable) travelling expenses anyway; have a statement ready for the Court in case you need it. Regarding filing the Defence, just send it Spec Deliv on the day before your deadline for Defence. (See below)

Your CPR Pt 18 request asks for copies of any Default Notice served; you can state that you did not receive it however you already have a copy of the one you SAY you received and will be presenting that at Court.

EXAMPLE: Claim submitted on day 1, issued on Day 3. Acknowledgement of Service required within 14 days - i.e. by Day 17. If your Ack of Serv states you will defend (yours did) you have a FURTHER 14 days from Day 17 - i.e. until Day 31, to submit your defence. In real life if you have the full 28 days, it's from the date on the "Acknowledgement of Service" sent to you by the Court - the "Issue Date". In ALL cases, you can phone the court and ask what your deadline is - they are extremely helpful, as long as you're not asking about points of Law.

• Haha 1

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Viano,

Yeah i would hold fire until the last minute

i would check to make sure the courts will be open on the day you intend to file if youre taking it in by hand.

i have one small amendment to make to the defence and then it should be good to go,

in fact if it came down to it you could file what is posted and we could always make up the other bits in the witness statements and Skellie arguements

regards

paul

hi Viano,

what will happen is that when you file the defence the other side will be notified that you have filed a defence and will be up to them to decide if they wish to discontinue or proceed

if they carry on you will be sent an allocation questionnaire to fill in,it will either be a N149 or N150 depending, so when we get to this stage let us know

Paul,

Being a little more clear headed now I have just re-read the defence, just a couple of points vis, in the conclusion 27 'I am not unable to prepare' and 30 is this the date of the signing of the application form ?

Viano

In the xxxxxxxx County Court

Claim number

Between

xxxxxxxxxxx- Claimant

and

Viano- Defendant

Defence

1. Except where otherwise mentioned in this defence, I neither admit nor deny any allegation made in the claimants Particulars of Claim and put the claimant to strict proof thereof.

2. The Defendant is embarrassed in pleading to the Particulars of Claim as it stands at present, inter alia: -

3. The claimants' particulars of claims disclose no legal cause of action and they are embarrassing to the defendant as the claimant's statement of case is insufficiently particularised and does not comply or even attempt to comply with CPR part 16. In this regard I wish to draw the courts attention to the following matters;

a) The Particulars of Claim are vague and insufficient and do not disclose an adequate statement of facts relating to or proceeding the alleged cause of action. No particulars are offered in relation to the nature of the written agreement referred to, the method the claimant calculated any outstanding sums due, or any default notices issued or any other matters necessary to substantiate the claimant's claim.

b) A copy of the purported written agreement that the claimant cites in the Particulars of Claim, and which appears to form the basis upon which these proceedings have been brought, has not been served attached to the claim form as laid out in Practice Direction 16. Paragraph 7.3.

c) A copy of any evidence of both the scope and nature of any default, and proof of any amount outstanding on the alleged accounts, has not been served attached to the claim form.

4. Consequently, I deny all allegations on the particulars of claim and do not know what case I have to meet

The Credit Agreement

5. On the xx/xx/2007 I wrote to the Claimant requesting a true copy of the executed credit agreement pursuant to section 78(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The claimant upon receipt of such request has a duty to supply the documentation within 12 working days as prescribed by Statutory Instrument 1983/1569 Regulation 2.

6. On the xx/xx/2007 in response to my request I received a copy of an application form from the claimant (Attached to this defence marked ST1) on inspection I found the form supplied was very hard to read and therefore did not comply with regulation 2(1) of Statutory instrument 1983/1557 which states

2 Legibility of notices and copy documents and wording of prescribed Forms

(1) The lettering in every notice in a Form prescribed by these Regulations and in every copy of an executed agreement, security instrument or other document referred to in the Act and delivered or sent to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act shall, apart from any signature, be easily legible and of a colour which is readily distinguishable from the

7. Therefore it is averred that the claimant has failed to discharge their obligations under section 78(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and as a result are not entitled by way of section 78 (6) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 to enforce this agreement while their non compliance continues

8. Notwithstanding point 7, it is noted that the form claimed to be a valid credit agreement (exhibit ST1) does not contain any prescribed terms as laid out in Statutory instrument 1983/1553 (Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983)

9. The prescribed terms referred to are contained in schedule 6 column 2 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and are inter alia: - A term stating the credit limit or the manner in which it will be determined or that there is no credit limit, A term stating the rate of any interest on the credit to be provided under the agreement and A term stating how the debtor is to discharge his obligations under the agreement to make the repayments, which may be expressed by reference to a combination of any of the following--

1. Number of repayments;

2. Amount of repayments;

3. Frequency and timing of repayments;

4. Dates of repayments;

5. The manner in which any of the above may be determined; or in any other way, and any power of the creditor to vary what is payable

10. The terms laid out in point 9 terms do not appear to be contained within the agreement

Document Headed Conditions of Use

11. In addition to the Application form supplied by the claimant in response to my request made on xx/xx/2007 there was a separate sheet entitled Conditions of use. There are certain required terms within this document, however this document does not appear to be linked to the Application form. In addition I consider this does not comply with the Requirements of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) as the Regulation say that all the schedule one information should be contained "within the agreement" not on a separate document headed Terms and Conditions or in this case Conditions of Use

12. I suggest that this document shows no relation to the application provided and there is no clear link between the application form (Exhibit ST1) and the Conditions of Use (Exhibit ST2) therefore I put the claimant to strict proof that these Conditions of Use actually relate to this application form

13. On the 27/09/2007 I wrote to Barclay card outlining my concerns with regards to the legibility of this application form and informing them that they had failed to comply with the requirements of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

14. On 08/11/2007 I received a reply from the claimant see attached marked (Exhibit ST3). The claimant failed to address my concerns and insisted that they had complied with the requirements of the Consumer Credit Act 1974

Build up to proceedings

15. The claimant's representative's optima wrote to me on the xx/xx/2007 informing me that they would be instigating proceedings in x days. They did this even though the account was dispute and it had been drawn to the attention of the Claimant that this was the case. Additionally the claimants response to my letter disputing the account and the credit agreement was received after the letter before action, thus giving me little chance to attempt to resolve this dispute before the claimant instigated proceedings

16. I believe this in itself is unreasonable and not in accordance with pre action protocols laid down in the Civil Procedure Rules in that the claimant has failed to take reasonable steps to resolve this dispute before instigating litigation

Enforcement of the Agreement

17. The courts attention is drawn to the fact that where an agreement does not have the prescribed terms as stated in point 9 it is not compliant with section 60(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and therefore not enforceable by s127 (3). The courts attention is also drawn to the authority of the House of Lords in Wilson-v- FCT [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) which confirms that where a document does not contain the required terms under the consumer credit act 1974 and the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and Consumer Credit (Agreements) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI2004/1482) the agreement cannot be enforced

18. With regards to the Authority cited in point 17, I refer to LORD NICHOLLS OF BIRKENHEAD in the House of Lords Wilson v First County Trust Ltd - [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) paragraph 29

" The court's powers under section 127(1) are subject to significant qualification in two types of cases. The first type is where section 61(1)(a), regarding signing of agreements, is not complied with. In such cases the court 'shall not make' an enforcement order unless a document, whether or not in the prescribed form, containing all the prescribed terms, was signed by the debtor: section 127(3). Thus, signature of a document containing all the prescribed terms is an essential prerequisite to the court's power to make an enforcement order."

Failure to enclose documents relied upon in the Particulars of Claim

19. Further to the case, on xx/xx/2007 I requested the disclosure of information pursuant to the Civil Procedure Rules, which is vital to this case from the claimant. The information requested amounted to copies of the Credit Agreement referred to in the particulars of claim and any default or termination notices, a transcript of all transactions, including charges, fees, interest, alleged repayments by myself and payments made by the original creditor. Also any other documents the Claimant seeks to rely on, including any default notices or termination notice, and a copy of the Notice of Assignment required to give the claimant a legitimate right of action.

20. To Date the claimant has ignored my request under the CPR and I have not received any such documentation requested. As a result it has proven difficult to compose this defence without disclosure of the information requested, especially given that I am Litigant in Person

21. The claimant is therefore put to strict proof that a document which is legible and Compliant with the Consumer Credit Act and subsequent Regulations made under the Act exists

The Default Notice

22. On xx/xx/2007 I received a letter from Mercers Debt collection Limited who claimed to be representing Barclaycard. The letter was headed Default Notice served under section 87(1) Consumer Credit act 1974. The letter cannot be a valid default notice as it fails to comply with the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) in particular schedule 2(2) points 1-11 which set out the statutory form that a Default Notice must follow for it to comply with S87 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974

23. Failure of a default notice to be accurate not only invalidates the default notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is a unlawful termination of contract which would not only prevent the court enforcing any alleged debt, but would also give rise to a potential counterclaim for damages where damage occurs to my credit rating (Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society - [1996] 4 All ER 119)

24. Notwithstanding the Fact that no valid credit agreement which complies with the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and subsequent Regulations made under the Act has been produced, it is averred that no valid default has been served upon me and there fore the claimant is precluded from taking such action until a Default Notice is served in the correct form containing the correct information laid out by SI 1983/1561

25. Consequently I put the claimant to strict proof that a default notice in the prescribed form and content was served.

Conclusion

26. The claimant has failed to supply any supporting documents with the claim form and has ignored my request for information. In addition I believe the claimant has acted unreasonably in bringing this action and further believe the claimants action should be viewed as vexatious. It is requested that the court strike out this claim as there is no prospect of success in view of the matters pleaded above

27. Further more, without full disclosure I am unable to prepare a defence to the documents, which the claimant will be seeking to rely upon, nor can I reasonably consider what case I have to answer.

28. In addition, if the claimant cannot produce a credit agreement in the prescribed form signed in the prescribed manner by debtor and creditor, the court is precluded from making an enforcement order under s127 (3) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and it is requested that the court use its powers under section 142 Consumer Credit Act 1974 to declare the agreement unenforceable and strike out the claimants case accordingly

29. In view of the matters pleaded above, I respectfully request that the court gives consideration to whether the claimant's statement of case should be struck out as disclosing no reasonable grounds for bringing the claim, and/or that it fails to comply with CPR Part 16.

30. Alternatively, I respectfully request a stay in proceedings until such time as the claimant complies with the requests outlined in paragraph 5 above or until the court orders its compliance with the same. I will then be in a position to file a fully particularised defence and counterclaim and will seek the courts permission to amend my statement of case accordingly.

31. In addition it is drawn to the courts attention that schedule 3, s11 of the Consumer Credit Act 2006 prevents s15 repealing s127 (3) of the 1974 Act for agreements made before s15 came into effect since the agreement is alleged to have commenced in xx/xx/xxx the Consumer Credit Act 1974 is the relevant act in this case.

Statement of Truth

I, believe the above statement to be true and factual

Signed .....................

Date

Right then

ive included a section asking the court to use its powers under s142 to declare the agreement unenforcable,

this probably wont happen at this stage as many district judges i have come across wont do this at the defence stage but it is worth asking

regards

paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul, Tom et al,

A good New Year to you all.

I managed to get a few days away, and have only just got back.

I hav'nt heard anything from the opposition yet, that is no more paperwork or anything, nothing from the court either, do I send the defence off now or wait as suggested until the last moment?

Viano

Subscribing, have almost identical app form.

Newborn

Beaten:

RBS: £4,500

AMEX: £4,200

Barclaycard Visa: £12,100

Barclaycard M/Card: £12,600

(Including the numerous DCAs they have set on me.)

PPI reclaims (into my bank account): £25,000

Get it in ASAP. As that will look good. I think thecourts open again tomorrow or thursday so it will be a good idea to sort it over the next couple of days and file it then.

I would advise that you check when the courts open as soon as you can.

Her Majesty's Courts Service - Home

It might tell you on this website.

Chrissi

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Don't know if it helps but I have checked my identical but even more unreadable form and there is I believe, some missing info at the bottom of your app form. So it can't be a true copy, can it?

Newborn

Beaten:

RBS: £4,500

AMEX: £4,200

Barclaycard Visa: £12,100

Barclaycard M/Card: £12,600

(Including the numerous DCAs they have set on me.)

PPI reclaims (into my bank account): £25,000

Hi Viano

i dont think you have anything to worry about, the defence we put together was pretty exhaustive

have you sent it to the court yet? if not id get it in the post asap to the court if you can

the last thing you want is to miss the deadline

Regards

paul

Hi Viano,

have a proof read of it before you send it just to make sure there are no errors or no bits that you havent added your personal details into where they are xxxxxxx out

then send it special next day delivery, it costs a little more but you need it to be guaranteed to get there

regards

paul