Cabot (taking bank funds without permission

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6036 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I hope im not messing this up by posting in the wrong area,

Please could someone help me find out if there is anything i can do about cabot taking money from my account without my permission, i foolishly called them after reciving a letter, and after being told i owed money to them, offered to pay a small amount until they sent me conformation of the debt. they took without my permission four times what i had agreed to pay.

it was only when i checked my account that i noticed they had taken this, is there anything i can do about this?

i was wondering if i could report this to my bank as a theft as i havent authorised it?

and it was only my stress over them taking the money that was due to buy my childrens food this week that i looked on line and found this forum and all the good work you are doing.

i have already printed the CCA letter and would realy appreciate some help as i want to stop them being allowed to do this to any one else.

the stress they have coused me today is uncalled for, as i was nice enough ( stupid enough ) to call them and try to sort it out.

Noseferatu - Vampire? Dracula ? Intriguing name for a victim,:p but you've done the first thing and that's coming on here.

They cannot just be taking money from your bank without your permission or your bank details so I take it you agreed to a Direct Debit with Cabot and have signed over their right to collect from your bank account or you set up a Standing Order? They cannot just be taking it. If they are, how did they get your bank details? Whatever you have done CANCEL IT and have word with your bank. Write to Cabot explaining what you have done in your CCA request. Also, tell them you will only accept communications in writing as is your right under the Communication Act 2003 to request.

Can you explain more about what type of debt it is and who with and we can help.

Once you have a reply to your CCA request come back and we'll talk you through it.

Welcome to CAG and the Cabot Fan Club - we suck things from companies too - information! Don't we Mr Maynard? :D

Sarah

• Haha 1

To echo the excellent advice above, see you bank as a matter of urgency and insist that they block any further payments. Ideally get something in writing stating that they have done so.

As you'll probably have realised from your own experiences and reading this forum, DCAs can be a slippery bunch. Never ever speak to them on the phone, keep all communication in writing - recorded delivery if at all possible.

Your next step is to establish whether Cabot have a legal right to be collecting this alleged debt. I assume it's covered by the CCA as you say you've already prepared the letter?

Get the CCA request off, with a £1 postal order. You did include the line "I do not acknowledge any debt", didn't you? Don't sign the letter with your usual signature, instead print or sign through a line. Make sure this goes recorded delivery as there's a timescale Cabot must adhere to.

Chances are you'll get your quid back with a letter saying that they don't have to supply an agreement, but as they're so lovely they'll do their best to get one from the original creditor.

Once you get a response, let us know and we can advise further.

If (and only if) they have a legal right to this alleged debt, then you can set up a payment plan ensuring that you only pay what you can genuinely afford, and by a method which you control such as standing order. But we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

:)

• Haha 1

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

If Cabot have taken more than was agreed, and it was by direct debit, you could also ask your bank for a refund under the Direct Debit Guarantee, on the grounds that they took more than the amount you authorised.

I did this when a British Gas took a huge amount based upon a fantasy estimated bill. I wrote to the bank (I was in Iraq at the time), and explained that it was an unauthorised amount, and they refunded immediately and cancelled the direct debit. It is essential to make clear that no other d/d instruction should be accepted from the same company - in my case, British Gas tried to reinstate the d/d four times!

Hi all and many thanks for all the swift reply's, i had offered to pay £16.25 over the phone with my visa debit card, i havent yet set anything up via the bank,

but did call the bank and cabot a few moments ago, i asked cabot to listen to the call and check out what i had agreed to, they called me back appologised and refunded me the full amount. i am now going to wait for them to send me conformation of the debt ( capital one) in writing. and go from there. ;)