Need short term insurance.

Lazaruseifer
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6026 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Find a mate with comprehensive cover that allows him to drive any vehicle and get him to come with you to the pound with his insurance and licence and get him to drive the car. The car will not be insured against damage if he crashes and its his fault, but you can get it home.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Guest Aviva Support

You really need to be careful in this situation that driving other veichles is what you think it is, mostly this is only in emergencies - just check docs if you plan to do this.

Becca

Bernie is quite right, most comprehensive insurance policy's offer the ability to drive any vehicle as long it is done so with the persmission of owner and that they hold a licence, the cover will be for third party only.

The Car is the 1st Party.

The Driver IS the 2nd Party

And the Person you hit is the Third Party, which means exactly that so your car can't be repaired but the third party can make a claim.

** Credentials **

10 Years Finance Fraud Investigator

5 Year High Court Sheriffs

2 Years Tip Staff Royal Courts

Currently : HMCS Enforcement Officer

Guest Aviva Support
Bernie is quite right, most comprehensive insurance policy's offer the ability to drive any vehicle as long it is done so with the persmission of owner and that they hold a licence, the cover will be for third party only.

The Car is the 1st Party.

The Driver IS the 2nd Party

And the Person you hit is the Third Party, which means exactly that so your car can't be repaired but the third party can make a claim.

Absolutely, but there are situations when this has not been the case and when investigated further has shown that the cover only applies if it is an emergency.

Its just always worth checking documentation

Surely it will have to show that the vehicle is insured, not the driver.

I believe, and I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, that a vehicle must first be insured, before anyone with cover on another vehicle (even if they have cover to drive other vehicles) can drive it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though

Surely it will have to show that the vehicle is insured, not the driver.

I believe, and I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, that a vehicle must first be insured, before anyone with cover on another vehicle (even if they have cover to drive other vehicles) can drive it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though

Sorry, it is the policyholder that is relevant. That will be a "legal person" an individual or a corporation. Here we are talking about an individual. There is, strictly speaking, no such thing as a "vehicle being insured". There is no requirement to have the reg nos of cars on certificates of insurance.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

I agree with Becca, ALWAYS check your docs.

I know for a fact that some companies will only allow you to drive another car using DOC if it is insured elsewhere whereas others dont stipulate this and will allow you to drive the car regardless as long as its only from 'point a to point b' etc.

I'm also reasonably sure that most car pounds, especially ones by the police, are no longer allowing cars to be released unless the owner of the car produces docs confirming the car is insured so i'd also check this before you turn up with your mate wanting to drive it home.

This is because the DOC cover is widely abused and, from what i've heard, the police and the ABI are looking to phase it out.

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)