I'm about to start renting.. hints & tips please!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bonjour seq :)

My few titbits I can think of:

- Check the tenancy agreement THOROUGHLY before you sign it. Query any clauses you arent happy with.

- If an inventory is provided, ensure that you are 110% happy with the condition it lists the property in - even minor scuff marks etc. This is probably the single most important document in your tenancy - I would say even above the tenancy agreement.

- Be polite with the landlord/letting agent, but keep everything on a formal basis - try and keep most communication in writing, certainly for any requests/disputes etc.

- If going through a letting agent, USE ONE WHO IS ACCREDITED. EG ARLA or NAEA member - this will ensure that you have someone to go to should you have a complaint.

- Ensure you get a detailed receipt for any deposits(holding/damage/rent), detailing what it is for, and what circumstances it is non-refundable.

- Get details of the TDS(Tenancy Deposit Scheme) that the deposit is put into.

- An obvious one - try not to go into arrears!

- Be aware of what the landlord can and cannot do. Best of reading the stickies here, but two biggies come to mind: he cannot let himself in the property willy nilly, and he cannot evict you without a court order. Also be aware of his obligations regarding repairs and providing gas safety certificates.

Above all, enjoy your new property! :)

These forums make landlords sound very bad, but remember the majority of us genuinely want the tenant to enjoy the property, and most of us(I hope!) know our obligations towards the tenant! In case you get a duffer, which is unlikely, just make sure you know your rights :)

There will definitely be more than I've put here, but should be a starting point. Read the stickies, they are quite helpful. And above all, any other questions or queries - just ask! Over the last few months the amount of knowledgeable people on this section has increased severalfold, between us we should be able to answer most questions you have!

Good luck!

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

2 more:

- IMO, the local paper classifieds are the best way to find a property - market rents, avoiding letting agents(which are often no better than landlords direct anyway, and you tend to pay a slight premium, as well as agent fees), and in my experience decent landlords.

- Don't be offended if you get credit checked and/or other personal info requested. You are, in effect(although this is not the way in law), entering into a high value credit agreement for 6 months. So expect to be credit checked. If you have CCJs or similar, just be honest with the landlordand declare them - this will go a long way. Also, an example question(eg if you were moving in as part of a couple), would be how long have you been together and have you rented together before etc. This is a fair question, as one of the most common cause of rent arrears is the break up of couples, and then the subsequent "passing of the buck" to the other partner by each side.

• Haha 1

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Not a problem Seq. I think the important thing is to remember that this forum is becoming an excellent resource on this topic, so if in doubt give us a shout!

Take dated photos to attach to the entry inventory - if it's not too detailed to begin with then write the details on the inventory yourself and get it signed by the LL too.

Get everything in writing, and copies of everything.

If you put down a holding deposit, make sure it's refundable and get that in writing too.

Make sure you receive the TDS documentation.

Clarify the rent payments as to four-week month or calendar month.

That's it off the top of my head - I'm sure others will think of more :)

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Good advice provided . however not covered yet. financial change in circumstance. you may be able to get help to meet the rent charge via housing benefit or local housing allowance. you can even get housing benefit if you are on a wage. housing benefit is income based, not employment status based. beware though lsome lanldords dont like housing benefit because of the way its paid ie in arrears and can take quite a while to set up. if thinking of apply for housing benefit, complete a pre tenancy determination form before you take up the tenancy. this is assessed by a fair rent officer (not the housing benefit team) the fair rent officer usually take a working week to make their decision. thier decison

is used by housing benefit to determine if you are entitled to full rebate of the rent the maximum amount they will pay for you no matter what the landlord is charging. ie landlord wants £700pcm fair rent officer decision £650. if your income is low and you are entitled to the maximum housing benefit you only get £650 so you would have to fund the shortfall of £50 from your own income.

Big Big But. under 25's face a single room restriction meaning HB will only currently cover a maximum of approx £66pw of any rent if the claimant is entitled to maximum benefit. couple of ways around this, rent as a couple or group of friends.

finally some LA offer help toward the start up costs ie deposits/rent in advance. go onto your LA website and/or talk with someone in their housing advice team to find out if you would qualify

lol