Tax Credit Problems

noodledoodle78
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4474 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All hoping you can help.I had been claiming TC as a single parent after splitting from my partner. He moved out for a couple of weeks and after deciding that he couldn't afford to pay mortgage and rent somewhere, moved back in to the house on the sofa.We are in negative equity so couldn't afford to sell or buy one another out. We shared a bank account for the mortgage and secured loan, but apart from that were living as single people. I contacted the mortgage company and asked about giving back the keys etc but due to the nature of my job, if I was declared bankrupt I would lose my job immediately. So we decided to live together as we could not afford not to, but lead separate lives.My son had an operation a few months ago and we decided to get back together properly. I had believed that I just had to notify HMRC when the renewal reminder came through - I now know this not to be the case.To my horror, I have come home to a letter advising that they are aware due to credit checks that my partner has been living at the property from 2010. I now realise from reading these forums that although we were not together, for the purposes of the claim we should still have claimed as a couple.I am going to phone the HMRC tomorrow and try to resolve this and explain the issues and my stupidity to them.Can anyone advise what I can expect and how I go about paying the overpayment back? The worry is that my partner is now due to be made redundant on the 2nd March - and I am unsure what we should be paying back per month.

I have made contact with the HMRC today and the lady that I need to speak to is on annual leave until next Monday :(I explained my circumstances to the man on the phone and he advised they would take no action until they spoke with me as it is complex.What should I do or be expecting? Would it be better to write to them?

tbh i dont know - they my have been alright with me as i told them i wanted to change my claim - at first they were going to get someone to call me back later in the week until i said that. he said my original claim would be ok until someone called me - that shwen i said i wanted to change it,

i think if you are denying it or something is when it becomes complex?

at the end of the phone call he said i would get a letter with the overpayment and that would be the end of it?

I don't know. I didn't deny it. I explained what I had done and that - now know that even though we weren't a couple for the purposes of the tc we should have been claiming as one. I asked if I could get a payment plan in place as I wanted to sort it out asap and he told me I need to speak with my case worker.

Just wanted it sorted out as tomorrow is my bday and I can't bear another sleepless night. Also don't understnad why he couldn't just agree to sort it out over the phone and why I need to speak to a specicic person. Really don't know whether I should just put it all in a letter so the lady has it on her retun on monday.

after my initial phone call he told me i needed to call the 0845 munber to make a new joint claim, he dealt with it l there and then, nothing about a certain person dealing with my case?

my taking is that anyone could deal with the case once it was in the compliance office - maybe they said that to you as an excuse as they were so busy?

Cranberry - was your claim only concerning money from the current tax year (since April 2011)? From what I've read it's easier to update the current tax year, on the system. For previous tax years, I think more hassle involved.

That is what I couldn't understand - why couldn't he deal with the query over the phone and why is there someone specific I need to speak to as I am only going to tell her the same thing and try and get a payment plan put toether. I am really concerned about this now and having the stress of waiting to at least monday certainly isn't helping.

Well fingers cross we get some responses tomorrow. Hope you get it sorted soon Folle. I know how stressful it is. I certainly don't want to spend another week worrying, I just wanted to get this sorted and find out what they want to do about it so I can move forward. Hope you feel better soon and get the answers you need x

She's just phoned. Shaking so much - can hardly type. Put my hands up to it and agreed it was from when I made the new claim in june 2009. She said as I admitted it they would do it from april 2010 to now and she would send it out in the post. Really nice and helpful. Just waiting for letter now. Feel ten times happier x

Hi emdj I am glad u got it sorted ! I was told that I have to pay back about 12grand! Well that is what I have worked out ! After all I have been through ! Told me to put a joint claim in! Then later put in a single claim ! U all know what I have been through ! Will not be putting in another sinhle claim ! To scared! Thanx for all your support and hope u guys get it all sorted folle xx