• Tweets

• Morning dx and thank you for your message.   With regards to your comment about them not needing to produce the deed, the additional directions ordered by the judge included 'a copy of any assignment o the debt or agreement relied upon'  so that is why I thought that point was relevant?
    • Sorry for the long post but I don't want to miss out any relevant information: My wife bought a car from Trade Centre UK and have been having nothing but trouble with it. Unfortunately we paid of the finance used to buy the car as we weren't expecting this much trouble with the car as we we though we would have protection as buying from a dealer. We are wondering if we can still reject the vehicle since the finance plan has been paid off. Timeline is as follows: 13/12/2023 -15/12/2023 Bought car from Trade Centre UK for £10548 £2000 deposit paid on credit card on 13/12/2023 £8548 on finance from Moneybarn (arranged through Trade Centre UK). picked up car on 15/12/2023 Also bought lifetime warranty for £50/month 25/12/2023 Engine Management Light comes on. The AA called out and diagnosed the following error codes: P0133 - Lambda sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) Oxygen Sensor. Error Message : Slow reaction. Error sporadic P0135 - Lambda sensor heat. circ.(bank1,sensor1) Oxygen Sensor. Error Message : Component defective Due to it being Christmas took a few days to get through to them but they booked me in for 28/12/2023 to run their own diagnostics. 28/12/2023 Took car in to Trade Centre so could check the car – They agreed it was the Oxygen Sensor and Booked me in for repair on 30/01/2024. I was told they had no earlier slots, and I would be fine to carry on driving car when I said I was afraid of problem worse. During diagnosing the problem, they reset the Engine Management Light. During drive home light comes back on. 29/12/2023 - 29/01/2024 I carry on driving the car but closer to the date, engine goes to reduced power every now and again – not being a mechanic I presumed that this was due to above fault. 20/01/2024 Not expecting any more problems paid off the finance on the car using personal loan from bank with lower interest rate. 30/01/2024 Trade Centre replace to O2 sensor (They also take it on a roughly 60mile road trip which seems a bit excessive to me – I can’t prove this as something prompted me take a picture of milage when I handed car in but I forgot take one on collection – only remembered next day.) 06/02/2024 Engine goes in reduced power mode again and engine management light comes on – Thinking the Trade centre’s 28 day warranty period was over I booked the car the into local garage for the next day to get problem fixed under the lifetime warranty package. Fault seems to clear after engine was switched off. 07/02/2024 In the Morning, I take it to local garage who say as the light gone off – the warranty company is unlikely to cover the cost of the repair or diagnostics and recommend I contact them when the light comes back on. In the evening the light comes back on and luckily I manage to get it back to the garage just before it shuts for the day. 08/02/2024 The Garage sends me a diagnostics video showing a lot error codes been picked up by their diagnostics machine including codes for Oxygen sensor and Nox Sensors, Accelerator pedal and several more. Video also shows EGR Hose not connected to the intake manifold properly, they believed this was confusing the onboard system as it is unlikely this many sensors would trigger at same the time but they couldn’t be certain until they repaired the hose. 13/02/2024 Finally get the car back as it took a while to get approval and payment for the repairs from the Warranty company. Garage told me to keep an eye the car as errors had cleared with the hose but couldn’t 100% certain that’s what caused the problem. 06/03/2024 Engine management light comes on again. Fed up I go into Trade Centre as I was just around the corner when it happened and asked them how to reject the car or have the problem fixed. They insist that as it’s over 28 days I need to get the car fixed under the warranty package I purchased and they could no longer fix the car as it was over 28 days. When I tried telling them it appeared to be the same or related problem they said they couldn’t help as I hadn’t contacted them earlier. I asked them if they were willing to connect the car to the diagnostics machine and tell me what the problem was, as a goodwill gesture, which he agreed to do and took the car to the back He came back around 30 minutes later and said they took a look at the sensor they replaced previously and there was nothing wrong with it and engine management light went off when they removed the sensor to check it. When I asked what the error code he couldn’t give me an exact fault but the said it one of the problems I told him earlier (Accelerator pedal). I have this visit audio recorded on my phone – I informed the reps I was recording several times. As the light wasn’t on, local garage couldn’t book me for a repair under warranty. 07/03/2024 Light came on so managed to book back into local garage for the 12/03/2024 Whilst waiting to take car into garage, I borrowed a OBD sensor and scanned for errors on the car. This showed the following errors: P11BE – Manufacturer specific code (Google showed this to be NOX sensor) P0133 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Response too Slow 12/03/2024 Took car to local garage and the confirmed the above errors. This leads me to believe that either Trade Centre UK reps lied and just reset the light or just didn’t check properly (Obviously I am unable to prove this) 22/03/2024 Finally got the car back as according to garage, the warranty company took a long to time to pay for the repairs 28/04/2024 Engine management Light has come back on. Using the borrowed OBD scanner I am getting the following codes: P0133 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Response too Slow P2138 - Accelerator Position Sensors (G79) / (G185): Implausible Correlation I have not yet booked into a garage as I wanted to see what my rights are in terms of rejecting the car as to me the faults seem related. I can’t keep using taxi or train to get to work every time the car goes into the garage as it is getting very expensive. Am I right in thinking that they have used up their chance to repair when they conducted the repair end of January or when they refused to repair it in February ? If I am still able to reject the vehicle could you point to any sample letters or emails I can use. Thankyou for your advice on my next steps.
    • Ok noted about the screenshot uploads. In terms of screwing up I had one previous ticket that defaulted and ended up in a CCJ from Southend airport because for some reason during COVID I didn't receive their claim form just a notice of default. This hospital ticket was the 2nd ticket that went to CCJ due to a lack of knowledge of the process. Maybe it's easier just to pay them in future I'm thinking though, I don't get them very often anyway
    • Car maker takes a hit from weakening demand and price war in the world's largest electric vehicle market.View the full article
    • please stop posting up unnecessary unnamed screenshot files  you've done it throughout your threads and we have to renamed them. RENAME THE FILE before you upload if its just text information like a defence or a claim history or a link to a previous post  type it here not by an unnamed screenshot attachment  . sorry NM but you've been here dealing with PPC claims since 2021 somehow you always manage to screw up.......or do totally the opposite of std repeated advice on 10'000 of PPC threads here you are your own worst enemy... dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Camdenite Vs MBNA Abbey ** PARTIAL WIN**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5265 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a cc with MBNA/Abbey which I am looking to claim back the PPI on. Aside from believing I was mis-sold (No indication given over the phone when they called me to discuss my application, that it was optional, and I was pressured in to agreeing to it in order for the application to be approved). I was also made redundant during the period I paid PPI and was told I was unable to claim as the account was in arrears and was about to be passed to a DCA (It never was).

Here's the time-line:

15/8/01 - CC account opened:Account limit set at £3,500

The balance was reached within a year and I struggled to make the monthly repayments on a consistent basis, and the card was retained some time in early 2003, and with the interest and PPI it spiralled out of control over the next couple of years.

28/2/04 - Made redundant. By now my CC balance was at an uncontrollable £5,500 approx and despite a couple of discussions with MBNA, I was unable to reduce the balance significantly. Unemployment was the final kick in the teeth financially, and with my mind more set on "doing a Reggie Perrin", sorting out a claim on the PPI was not something I had considered. The redundancy money I received was used to clear two other CC's and top up my Unemployment Benefit over the next few months.

Summer 2004 - Started a new job on more money and finally started to get to grips with making regular payments. The balance wasn't being reduced significantly (it was coming down about £50 a month), but I was at least able to keep the payments up.

Early 2006 - I finally looked at my statements and wondered to myself why I hadn't bothered to make claim when made redundant? It would have covered the payments for those four months and my current position would've been a lot better. I contacted MBNA and enquired whether I could make a claim for that period and questioned why they had not proposed such a claim at the time, when they KNEW I was unemployed. They were aware of my position after several conversations with me to discuss how I was going to pay back the over-limit sum. I was then told that I would not be able to make any claim under the PPI, but they would cancel it forthwith. the reason given was that my account was about to be passed to a DCA and that would invalidate the cover. No DCA ever got involved and I continued to try and clear the outstanding balance. It got better and with the onset of reclaiming bank & CC charges I finally made inroads.

Summer 2007. I finally clear the balance (after a little help from claiming back the charges they had imposed over the preceding seven years :D)

So, can anyone tell me where I stand? I don't have the original application form, CC agreement or sufficient statements to make a full claim. Is it statute barred as it was over six years ago. Is it a case of my word against their over the mis-selling or the refusal to accept a PPI claim when I was made redundant?

All help gratefully received (as ever).

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello camdenite,

welcome to the PPI forum,

I had a cc with MBNA/Abbey which I am looking to claim back the PPI on. Aside from believing I was mis-sold (No indication given over the phone when they called me to discuss my application, that it was optional, and I was pressured in to agreeing to it in order for the application to be approved). I was also made redundant during the period I paid PPI and was told I was unable to claim as the account was in arrears and was about to be passed to a DCA (It never was).

Here's the time-line:

15/8/01 - CC account opened:Account limit set at £3,500

The balance was reached within a year and I struggled to make the monthly repayments on a consistent basis, and the card was retained some time in early 2003, and with the interest and PPI it spiralled out of control over the next couple of years.

28/2/04 - Made redundant. By now my CC balance was at an uncontrollable £5,500 approx and despite a couple of discussions with MBNA, I was unable to reduce the balance significantly. Unemployment was the final kick in the teeth financially, and with my mind more set on "doing a Reggie Perrin", sorting out a claim on the PPI was not something I had considered. The redundancy money I received was used to clear two other CC's and top up my Unemployment Benefit over the next few months.

Summer 2004 - Started a new job on more money and finally started to get to grips with making regular payments. The balance wasn't being reduced significantly (it was coming down about £50 a month), but I was at least able to keep the payments up.

Early 2006 - I finally looked at my statements and wondered to myself why I hadn't bothered to make claim when made redundant? It would have covered the payments for those four months and my current position would've been a lot better. I contacted MBNA and enquired whether I could make a claim for that period and questioned why they had not proposed such a claim at the time, when they KNEW I was unemployed. They were aware of my position after several conversations with me to discuss how I was going to pay back the over-limit sum. I was then told that I would not be able to make any claim under the PPI, but they would cancel it forthwith. the reason given was that my account was about to be passed to a DCA and that would invalidate the cover. No DCA ever got involved and I continued to try and clear the outstanding balance. It got better and with the onset of reclaiming bank & CC charges I finally made inroads.

Summer 2007. I finally clear the balance (after a little help from claiming back the charges they had imposed over the preceding seven years :grin:)

So, can anyone tell me where I stand? I don't have the original application form, CC agreement or sufficient statements to make a full claim. Is it statute barred as it was over six years ago. Is it a case of my word against their over the mis-selling or the refusal to accept a PPI claim when I was made redundant?

All help gratefully received (as ever).

As the mis-selling of PPI is/going to be, a huge issue. I would suggest you proceed to make a claim.

Firstly I would ask is the cc account still active?

If it is then you can do the following to obtain the paperwork and any other data you will require.

If your cc account is still active you can send a request for a Consumer Credit Agreement see post 27 from this link...

alanalana PPI claim against RBS (looking for some help) please

If the account is closed then you can submit a Data Subject Access Request.... see this link...

Full S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) for ppi

The statutory fee for this is £10 and a Postal Order is recommended (no signature and no 5 working days to clear - time saver)

In the SAR it is important to ask for every detail you require that is held as data in whatever format you wish to ask for, paper, electronic, microfische, CD, Tapes and anything else you can think of.

Details of accounts, statements, credit agreements, Terms and conditions, policy documents, Telephone conversations, Letters, emails and anything else you can think of.

It is imperative you get everything that you may eventually have to rely on if you have to proceed to Court action.

If you read up on the thread above and many others you will see the financial institutions are employing delaying tactics. I am over five months down the line and still not sure if I have been provided with everything I asked for in my SAR hence I have a complaint with the Information Commissioner and a few other regulatory bodies.

Another useful thread (with humour) is......

MBNA PPI Unsecured Loans Eyes Wide Shut

sorry to lambast you with a big response hope it all helps. PPI is not a quick fix it has to be accuracy, facts, legalities and persistance.

Good luck If you post questions I cannot help you with there will be others to help you out I am sure..

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Thanks Alanalana. The CC account is now closed. I'll have a read of the threads you linked & I'll proceed with SAR. I'm used to the log haul.;) I've dealt with a few bank charges cases and am used to the tactics employed.

In essence though, you think I have a case over mis-selling, right? Are they really prepared to pay out, when they can argue that I was fully aware of what I was signing and I have no proof otherwise?

Hello camdenite,

Thanks Alanalana. The CC account is now closed. I'll have a read of the threads you linked & I'll proceed with S.A.R - (Subject Access Request). I'm used to the log haul.:wink: I've dealt with a few bank charges cases and am used to the tactics employed.

In essence though, you think I have a case over mis-selling, right? Are they really prepared to pay out, when they can argue that I was fully aware of what I was signing and I have no proof otherwise

I cannot commit to give you an answer to this, all I can suggest is you check out the likes of this links

specifically these two links:

Payment protection | Were you mis-sold PPI? | PPI - rules before 2005

Payment protection | Were you mis-sold PPI? | PPI - the rules

This should help you to get some idea on PPI and the mis-selling issue and decide for yourself.

You will know under what circumstances the loan was agreed and the PPI added if you think after investigating the PPI was mis-sold then stick in a claim.

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I couldn't see a template for a PPI specific LBA. I sent my SAR off and they acknowledged in writing and stated that they would respond by the 20th July. Nothing so far.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Hello camdenite,

they legally have 40 days to respond in full to your SAR. If you have not received every bit of data you asked for or you believe data is missing. you can then submit complaint to the Information Commissioners Office. You can also go down the Court route with a non compliance but you would need better advice on that aspect than I can provide.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Hello camdenite,

it will but very slowly ( it has taken nearly 4 months and no final outcome yet from the ICO) please have a look at posts 47, 55 and 75 on my thread to see how I complained after I had submitted my Information Commissioners Office complaint directly.

alanalana PPI claim against RBS (looking for some help) please

Long thread but you may find something to help you along.:)

aa

Edited by alanalana
text in brackets added

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

I've received what looks to be a comprehensive set of statements and correspondence regarding my account. It includes a copy of the original CCA Form, which has my tick in the PPI box.

I know that I agreed to it, but believe I was informed that by doing so my application was more likely to be successful and was not told that I was free to seek other cover elsewhere.

What's my next step in getting these premiums refunded?

hello camdenite,

I would send them a letter giving the reasons you believe the PPI was mis-sold. i.e. Advised that you would stand a better chance of getting the loan by accepting the PPI, Not advised you could obtain PPI elsewhere.

Please have a look at the information in these links reference mis-selling.

Payment protection | Were you mis-sold PPI? | PPI - rules before 2005

Payment protection | Were you mis-sold PPI? | PPI - the rules

hope this helps.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

• 4 weeks later...

I've finally got round to sitting down and going through my list of PPI charges and have discovered that MBNA have not provided any transaction data beyond the six year period. i.e. back to July 2002, not August 2001 when the account was opened. Can I obtain the additional info or is it statute barred. The CCA was enclosed and that dates from August 2001.

They also stop referring to PAYMENT PROTECTION COVER on the list of charges in May 2004 and from then on refer to CREDIT INSURANCE FEES. Are they one and the same, I assume so, but just want to check?

list? ideas? eh?

or do you mean the spreadsheet you should put them on? I would hazad a guess at the same spreadie that your bank charges were on

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

list? ideas? eh?

or do you mean the spreadsheet you should put them on? I would hazad a guess at the same spreadie that your bank charges were on

Sorry Lula, I meant the fact that I haven't got a full set of transactions from the life of the account. They only go back to July 2002 (six years), not to August 2001 when the PPI started. It's difficult to estimate, as I don't know what the balance was in the preceding months.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just received the first "no chance, you're not getting a thing" letter from MBNA.

I'm not sure what my next step should be? Any advice appreciated.

I'll post the letters shortly.

Edited by Camdenite

Hello camdenite,

I would give the FOS a call and discuss it with them. They have stated that they do not usually deal with claims before 14 Jan 2005 when the FSA made a ruling on the PPI issue. But if the organisation was regulated by the FSA when the account was opened then they may look at your claim.

Most banks are responding with the bit about the FOS being unable to deal with your complaint as a way of putting people off going down this route.

It would certainly be worth a call especially as you have had their final response. This is the info.....

consumer helpline

open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday

• 0845 080 1800
    (calls cost up to 4p a minute for BT customers – but are likely to cost more if you use another phone provider or call from a mobile)
  • 020 7964 0500
    (this number may be cheaper if you use a mobile phone or a phone provider other than BT – and will be "free" if you pay a monthly charge for calls to numbers starting 01 or 02)
  • [email protected]
    (we will usually be able to deal with phone queries on the spot – so phoning might be quicker than emailing us)

we'll be happy to phone you back, if you're worried about the cost of calling us

Hope this helps you;)

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Hiya, I dont know enough about PPI to be able to comment, but knowing Abbey is it probably a load of bowlarks :-)

Anyway, as a complete aside, guess who has been doing the rounds promoting the release of the new album lol

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

here's the letter:

MBNArejection1.jpg

&

MBNAPPIresponse2.jpg

I know that name, they work for MBNA, and are very good with final responses:roll: I have had a few

What are you going to do now????????

Have they sent you evidence that they sent you the ppi policy, terms and conditions and the updated versions in your SAR??????????

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Hi all, Many thanks. I'll call the FOS tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Hellhansnofury - I've received the signed copy of the original CCA, but no updated version of the T&C's. The original T&C's are on the reverse of the CCA. As I mentioned previously my case for for mis-selling is over it affecting me receiving the CC. I'm not disputing that I agreed to it, just that I was mis-led. In lay-man's terms is this merely viewed as my word against theirs?

Lula - Yes, I know. ;) Drop me a PM and and I'll see if I can pop one in the post next week.

Edited by Camdenite
typo

Hello camdenite,

I've had the form arrive today. It looks pretty straightforward, but are there any do's and don'ts when completing it?

No do's and don'ts, just be as accurate as you can and keep a copy when you send it off.

You may get questions on it later.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from