• Tweets

• There's no facility for a settlement "out of court" as such. But matters that are started under the "Single Justice" (SJ) Procedure can often be concluded without the defendant appearing. The SJ procedure, as the name suggests, involves a single magistrate, sitting in an office with a legal advisor, dealing with matters "on papers" only. Nobody else can attend. The SJ deals with straightforward guilty pleas. Anything where the SJ believes the defendant should appear, or which should be dealt with by the "ordinary" court are adjourned o a hearing in the normal magistrates'  court .As well as this, all defendants have the right to a hearing in the normal court if they wish. Nobody is forced to have their case heard under he SJP.  In particular, as far as traffic matters go, a SJ will not disqualify a driver and if a ban is to be considered, the case will be passed over to the normal court. Because, following your SD, you will be pleading Not Guilty (and offering the "deal"), your case would usually be heard in the normal court, meaning a personal appearance. To be honest, performing your SD at the court is a more straightforward way of doing things. It avoids any possible hitches involved in serving he SD on the court. But of course, as I said, most courts have backlogs which mean an SD may not be quickly accommodated. If you do end up doing your SD before a solicitor, check with them the protocol for serving it on the court. Do let us know what the solicitor says about Wednesday.    
    • Welcome to posting on CAG cabot, people will be along soon to help you try to sort this out. Please complete this:  
    • Quotes of the day penny mordaunt came out swinging with her broadsword, and promptly decapitated sunak while Nigel Farage, representing Reform UK, made contentious claims about immigration policies, which were swiftly fact-checked during the debate.   Good question though raised at labour about the 2 child benefit cap, which I broadly agree with, but the tory 'trap' assumes tory thinking - rather than child centric thinking. There should be no incentives to have kids as a financial way of life paid for by everyone else ... ... BUT the kids should not be made to suffer for the decisions of their parents Free school meals would feed the kids, improve their ability to learn, and incentivise them to go to school. As an added benefit ... it would invest in our nations future.   How far this should go is a matter for costing, social intent and future path of the nation, but not feeding our nations kids is an abomination. There should be at least one free school meal per day for every child who attends school. Full Stop. Its the cheapest and most effective investment in our future we could make.
    • Hey people, I've been browsing this amazing forum for the past year and recieved a letter today which has made me require some help. Received a claim form from Cabot in the Civil National Business Centre in regards to an Aqua Credit Card taken out in 2018. I failed to make payments due to financial hardship and have not taken out any credit or uses any forms of credit since. Received a lot of letters from Cabot and their solicitors Mortimer Clarke which I've ignored    By an agreement between New Day Ltd RE Aqua& the Defendant on or around 26/03/2018 ('ths Agreement) New Day Ltd RE Aqua agreed to issue Defendant with a credit card. The Defendant failed to make the minimum payments due. The Agreement was terminated following the service of a default notice. The Agreement was assigned to the named Claimant. Cabot Credit Management Group Limited, acting as servicing agent of the named Claimant through its Appointed Representative (Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited), has arranged for these proceedings to be issued in the name of the Claimant. The named Claimant may be entitled to claim interest under the Agreement but does not seek such interest and instead claims interest under Section 69(1) of the County Courts Act 1984 at 8% p.a.from03/03/2023 until date of issue only, or alternatively such interest as the Court thinks fit THE NAMED CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS 1. 3800.82 2. INTEREST OF 379.84 3. Costs How would I go about this and what could happen? I don't remember much details about the card either.
    • cause like you said in post one, 99% of people think these are FINES (it now reads charge). and wet themselves and cough up. they are not, they are speculative invoices because the driver supposedly broke some imaginary contract by driving onto privately owned land which said owner may or may not have signed some 99% fake contract with a private parking co years ago, thats already expired or has not been renewed or annually paid to employ them dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Finlander V Firstplus

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3903 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

;) OK... here goes... had a secured loan with FP. paid it off when I got married and moved. SAR sent about 3 weeks ago and arrived within 2 weeks. found that I had a £5950 premium. No call logs or transcripts sent.

Sent this letter to them

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE ; AGREEMENT NO- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I am writing to request that the Payment Protection Insurance sold at the time the above loan was taken out is refunded in full to me, and that interest, which has accrued to date, be similarly refunded. The amount of the insurance amounts to £5979.00p, the interest owed to date amounts to £ 1488.72p. This is based on this policy being miss-sold and the standard interest rate of 8% charged by the county court.

The total I wish refunded is £7467.72p

My reasons for reclaiming are:

1.At no time was I told that PPI could be purchased elsewhere to cover the loan

2. It was not made clear that the insurance was only valid for the first five years of the loan - in fact the first time this became apparent was on receipt of the information requested about the account under the Data Protection Act.

3. I was led to believe that Payment Protection Insurance was compulsory and indeed was misled into thinking that I would stand more chance of getting the loan if I took the Payment Protection Insurance

4. It was not explained to me that there were certain exclusions within the policy that could affect me.

5. The Payment Protection Insurance was added to the loan balance at the outset and at no time was it explained that there were PPI policies where one could pay monthly for substantially lower premiums and which would cover my clients for the whole term of the loan.

6. The terms & conditions of the insurance were not fully explained

7. At the time of taking out the insurance I already had in force, and had for a number of years, a insurance policy from my work to cover me against, accident, illness or death. The agent selling the insurance made no enquiries into this.

8. The agent told me that the insurance policy was in fact a very good way of saving, as half the premium would be refunded in five years. He did not explain that this was the term of the insurance. He did not explain that the entire premium was added to the loan and that no refund would be available if settled early.

I believe that this policy was miss-sold. I require you to make all necessary investigations into this matter and would request the above sum is refunded to me immediately.

The above amount does not include interest paid to your company on the insurance premium whilst the loan was running. If it becomes necessary to take this matter further these sums will also be reclaimed increasing your liability. As a matter of goodwill I am not requesting them at this time.

I notice as well that within my subject access request I asked for all transcripts of phone calls. These have not been provided. If these do in fact exist and I find that they have been withheld I shall of course be complaining to the Data Commissioners office.

I would be grateful if you could respond quickly to this complaint and when you do, if your answer is in the negative, can you clearly state that is your final response.

This will then allow me to pass the complaint on quickly to the Financial ombudsman.

Please respond within 6 weeks of receipt of this letter.

I reserve the right to commence legal action at anytime to recover the above monies.

Yours truly,

Have received a response saying they are looking into it and trying to locate transcripts of calls and tape copies and will let me know by 22nd April.

Anyone else had dealings with these people and can give me a heads up on their tactics?

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy. What is essential in war is victory, not prolonged operations.

Sun Tzu 'The art of war'

POST THE LETTER AND SIGN THE PETITION AT POST 88 ON THE LINK BELOW TO GET THE OFT TO INVESTIGATE THE CRA'S

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/campaign/153512-campaign-oft-against-unfair.html

Yes - and won.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/payment-protection-insurance-ppi/128548-first-plus-ppi-reclaim.html

I suspect you are on the right track anyway.

Best of luck;)

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Morning Finlander,

Looks like you are in the same boat as myself, although we have the two claims ongoing.

Can I assume your response date is 22nd May, not April, if so, it's going to be interesting waiting to see who gets a response first.

Every time I read the SAR documentation or listen to our tapes, we seem to get another nail to hammer into the coffin.

Looks like it's gonna be a busy month at First Plus!

------------------------------------------------------------

First Direct - Refund of Bank Charges...... **WON** (Offered full amount of £5200 2 days before court)

Amex - Refund of charges..... **WON** (£330 refunded without much fight)

First Plus PPI - **WON** (Full Refund of over £7000 + Interest)

Norton Finance - Owe me over £6000 for mis-sold PPI - Starting court action in the new year!

Barclaycard PPi - Ongoing (Being complete tos*ers!)

• 3 weeks later...

okay... firstplus replied today. Basically their letter says that he has listened to the tapes (I havnt even got them yet) and that he says the policy wasn't miss-sold!!! well thats cleared that up then! Well done Firstplus..HOOrah. The most important part is that he says that they didn't need to ask any questions about previous medical conditions of other insurance as they weren't regulated by the FSA in Nov 2004 so didn't need to ask 'demands and needs questions'. Is this true? It seems that what they are saying is 'As we werent regulated by any sort of authority we were entitled to rip you off' . Looking at their terms set through they were regulated by GISC however. I have tried to look up the GISC code of conduct but it keeps taking me to a website to sell me car insurance:-x.

So the urgent questions I have for my fellow CAGERS are -

1. will the FOS investigate?

2. where can I get a copy of the GISC code?

3. Is it true that they didn't have to ask ny questions?

4. What now?:confused:

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy. What is essential in war is victory, not prolonged operations.

Sun Tzu 'The art of war'

POST THE LETTER AND SIGN THE PETITION AT POST 88 ON THE LINK BELOW TO GET THE OFT TO INVESTIGATE THE CRA'S

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/campaign/153512-campaign-oft-against-unfair.html

okay... firstplus replied today. Basically their letter says that he has listened to the tapes (I havnt even got them yet) and that he says the policy wasn't miss-sold!!! well thats cleared that up then! Well done Firstplus..HOOrah. The most important part is that he says that they didn't need to ask any questions about previous medical conditions of other insurance as they weren't regulated by the FSA in Nov 2004 so didn't need to ask 'demands and needs questions'. Is this true? It seems that what they are saying is 'As we werent regulated by any sort of authority we were entitled to rip you off' . Looking at their terms set through they were regulated by GISC however. I have tried to look up the GISC code of conduct but it keeps taking me to a website to sell me car insurance:-x.

So the urgent questions I have for my fellow CAGERS are -

1. will the FOS investigate? probably No, but you can ring them for advice

2. where can I get a copy of the GISC code?Have a look in Alanalana links thread

3. Is it true that they didn't have to ask ny questions? No, even under the code of practice by the gisc they had to ensure the product was fully explained and sold fit for purpose

4. What now?:confused:

Hello Finlandar,

This is a standard fobb off letter, keep at them. They hide behind the fact that they were not regulated by the fsa, so the fos will not investigate your claim, but they had to be regulated and of course, there is always the court route, that would make them sit up and take notice:lol:

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

thanks for that... I was hoping someone would giva a bit of moral support and as usual CAG come up trumps.;)

let me see what to do now..... ok I have sent this by email to mr Mullins.

Dear Mr Mullins,

Thank you for your letter of the 16th May 2008 outlining your rejection of my complaint and the reasons that you felt it was unfounded. I am replying in email but shall also be sending this letter in hard copy. You may reply if you wish by email or letter.

I have considered your response and consider it to be unfair, self serving and to a great extent not backed up by any evidence of due care. I consider it particularly interesting that in response to my contention that no effort was made by your company to confirm my eligibility for this policy you respond by stating this was not done as you weren’t regulated by the FSA! How interesting that will sound in court, ‘Your honour we were not regulated by the FSA at the time so were perfectly entitled to mislead and con Mr Pearce into buying a policy that neither covered him or he needed for 569 times the monthly rate of the next best policy’.

I have already outlined my concerns in my first letter and have no intention of listing them again. All I will say is each point is still of concern and I feel you have addressed none of them.

My actions now will be the following ;-

1. I shall send an official complaint to the FOS.

2. I have today written requesting a full copy of the GISC codes of conduct (which your company was bound by)

3. I have written to various Media companies and their consumer affairs shows today outlining my concerns at the outrageous premium charged by you. As a matter of interest I received a quote for PPI today covering the amount borrowed of £30,000 and it came to £10.51p a month for the period of the loan! That would mean 569 months just to catch up with your premium let alone the interest you charged!

4. I have sent your responses, my subject access request information and various supporting documentation to my solicitor with a view to commencing legal action immediately should the FOS refuse to investigate the complaint.

I would like you to send me all copies of audio tapes you have regarding this account immediately. I do not wish CD’s etc just simple audio cassettes of all phone conversations between myself and your representatives.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your quick reply. However I hope you will now understand that I have no intention of just going away. I believe that your company has acted in a highly dishonest matter in selling me this insurance and I really urge you to understand that you have been ‘rumbled’. I intend to take this matter as far as possible in order to ensure that justice is done. In the court action that may follow I will be requesting a full breakdown of your premium , sales commission etc in order to prove your staffs vested interest in selling a grossly over priced product.

May I remind you that the burden of proof in relation to Misrepresentation Act claims:

That a customer should be able to rely on the information given, and that even without an intent to misrepresent, if the consequences of a misrepresentation are such that a customer is disadvantaged then that is enough.

It also establishes that a clause in a contract which states that a signature indicates full acceptance is not valid where it would be unlikely that the customer would have the skill and inclination to go through the fine detail. As shown in Howard Marine V A Ogden (1975)

Then there is the concealed commission agreement in Hurstanger v Wilson [2007] EWCA Civ 299 , which states;

It was held that the broker may only receive commission if the borrower

consented to this with full knowledge of all material circumstances. The

Court of Appeal held that the commission, in this case, was not ""secret""

but informed consent had not been given as the amount of commission

had not been disclosed. (Accordingly they awarded the amount of the

commission plus 1.29% simple interest from the date of the agreement’’s

inception).

The Court also held that in cases where the broker does not disclose

that she is in receipt of commission from the lender, the commission

will be ""secret"", the broker potentially guilty of fraud, and the entire

loan liable to be rescinded.

Implications

The legal teams of all members who pay commission to brokers should

consider the impact of the decision on their business.

Another interesting document regarding conflicts of interest comes from the Chartered Insurance Institute. It is guidance for members on dealing with potential conflicts of interest, and whilst it is not binding on loan companies, the document must be seen as a very authoritative view of potential conflicts of interest and the risk to customers where those conflicts are not properly managed.

Of particular note is this paragraph on mitigating potential conflicts:Some examples of methods which can be used to manage potential conflicts include:

· a hospitality and/or gift register;

· restrictions on gifts and hospitality individuals may accept;

· information barriers or ‘‘chinese walls’’ between different business units to prevent free flow of confidential information;

· changes to remuneration arrangements for the firm and individual staff to avoid incentives and targets which may encourage misuse of information or giving poor advice;

· increasing disclosure to clients and obtaining informed consents from them;

· information systems designed to provide timely and accurate information;

· reporting structures to build in checks and balances to promote objective judgement;

· recording of and justification for decisions when selecting products or suppliers;

· documenting why and how recommendations are being made to customers;

· complaints handling and claims settlement procedures.

I would particularly draw your attention to the advice regarding remuneration.

I now also intend to claim for all interest paid on the premium as well as the statutory 8% allowed by the county court.

As for making a complaint through your club the FLA I notice at least one interesting paragraph from their code -

1.1 As full members of the Finance & Leasing

Association (FLA), we promise we will:

act fairly, reasonably and responsibly in all our

dealings with you;

act honestly and try to make sure that credit

brokers, and all other suppliers of goods and

services we do business with, do the same;

train our staff to make sure that the procedures

they follow reflect the commitments set out

in this code; and

Speaks volumes really, especially as this term is compulsory, but I will leave my search for recompense to the FOS and the courts.

Yours sincerely ,

WELL THERE YOU GO...THEY STARTED IT!!!! :x

Sun Tzu 'The art of war'

thanks for that... I was hoping someone would giva a bit of moral support and as usual CAG come up trumps.

let me see what to do now..... ok I have sent this by email to mr Mullins.

Dear Mr Mullins,

Thank you for your letter of the 16th May 2008 outlining your rejection of my complaint and the reasons that you felt it was unfounded. I am replying in email but shall also be sending this letter in hard copy. You may reply if you wish by email or letter.

I have considered your response and consider it to be unfair, self serving and to a great extent not backed up by any evidence of due care. I consider it particularly interesting that in response to my contention that no effort was made by your company to confirm my eligibility for this policy you respond by stating this was not done as you weren’t regulated by the FSA! How interesting that will sound in court, ‘Your honour we were not regulated by the FSA at the time so were perfectly entitled to mislead and con Mr Pearce into buying a policy that neither covered him or he needed for 569 times the monthly rate of the next best policy’.

I have already outlined my concerns in my first letter and have no intention of listing them again. All I will say is each point is still of concern and I feel you have addressed none of them.

My actions now will be the following ;-

1. I shall send an official complaint to the FOS.

2. I have today written requesting a full copy of the GISC codes of conduct (which your company was bound by)

3. I have written to various Media companies and their consumer affairs shows today outlining my concerns at the outrageous premium charged by you. As a matter of interest I received a quote for PPI today covering the amount borrowed of £30,000 and it came to £10.51p a month for the period of the loan! That would mean 569 months just to catch up with your premium let alone the interest you charged!

4. I have sent your responses, my subject access request information and various supporting documentation to my solicitor with a view to commencing legal action immediately should the FOS refuse to investigate the complaint.

I would like you to send me all copies of audio tapes you have regarding this account immediately. I do not wish CD’s etc just simple audio cassettes of all phone conversations between myself and your representatives.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your quick reply. However I hope you will now understand that I have no intention of just going away. I believe that your company has acted in a highly dishonest matter in selling me this insurance and I really urge you to understand that you have been ‘rumbled’. I intend to take this matter as far as possible in order to ensure that justice is done. In the court action that may follow I will be requesting a full breakdown of your premium , sales commission etc in order to prove your staffs vested interest in selling a grossly over priced product.

May I remind you that the burden of proof in relation to Misrepresentation Act claims:

That a customer should be able to rely on the information given, and that even without an intent to misrepresent, if the consequences of a misrepresentation are such that a customer is disadvantaged then that is enough.

It also establishes that a clause in a contract which states that a signature indicates full acceptance is not valid where it would be unlikely that the customer would have the skill and inclination to go through the fine detail. As shown in Howard Marine V A Ogden (1975)

Then there is the concealed commission agreement in Hurstanger v Wilson [2007] EWCA Civ 299 , which states;

It was held that the broker may only receive commission if the borrower

consented to this with full knowledge of all material circumstances. The

Court of Appeal held that the commission, in this case, was not ""secret""

but informed consent had not been given as the amount of commission

had not been disclosed. (Accordingly they awarded the amount of the

commission plus 1.29% simple interest from the date of the agreement’’s

inception).

The Court also held that in cases where the broker does not disclose

that she is in receipt of commission from the lender, the commission

will be ""secret"", the broker potentially guilty of fraud, and the entire

loan liable to be rescinded.

Implications

The legal teams of all members who pay commission to brokers should

consider the impact of the decision on their business.

Another interesting document regarding conflicts of interest comes from the Chartered Insurance Institute. It is guidance for members on dealing with potential conflicts of interest, and whilst it is not binding on loan companies, the document must be seen as a very authoritative view of potential conflicts of interest and the risk to customers where those conflicts are not properly managed.

Of particular note is this paragraph on mitigating potential conflicts:Some examples of methods which can be used to manage potential conflicts include:

· a hospitality and/or gift register;

· restrictions on gifts and hospitality individuals may accept;

· information barriers or ‘‘chinese walls’’ between different business units to prevent free flow of confidential information;

· changes to remuneration arrangements for the firm and individual staff to avoid incentives and targets which may encourage misuse of information or giving poor advice;

· increasing disclosure to clients and obtaining informed consents from them;

· information systems designed to provide timely and accurate information;

· reporting structures to build in checks and balances to promote objective judgement;

· recording of and justification for decisions when selecting products or suppliers;

· documenting why and how recommendations are being made to customers;

· complaints handling and claims settlement procedures.

I would particularly draw your attention to the advice regarding remuneration.

I now also intend to claim for all interest paid on the premium as well as the statutory 8% allowed by the county court.

As for making a complaint through your club the FLA I notice at least one interesting paragraph from their code -

1.1 As full members of the Finance & Leasing

Association (FLA), we promise we will:

act fairly, reasonably and responsibly in all our

dealings with you;

act honestly and try to make sure that credit

brokers, and all other suppliers of goods and

services we do business with, do the same;

train our staff to make sure that the procedures

they follow reflect the commitments set out

in this code; and

Speaks volumes really, especially as this term is compulsory, but I will leave my search for recompense to the FOS and the courts.

Yours sincerely ,

WELL THERE YOU GO...THEY STARTED IT!!!!

Exellent letter, bravo:lol::lol::lol:

Glad to see that you have risen to the occassion.

Let battle commence, like you say, they started it:D

Keep us posted

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Hi, yes, ace letter.

I need to tell you that we had the 'we were not regulated at the time' bull as well - and as someone commented on my thread 'well what were they then, loan sharks?':D. But we received the offer of a refund about a week later before I had even thought of a suitable reply.

Here's hoping.

BANK CHARGES

Others

thanks for everyones support. Well the email went off and we shall se what the loan sharks say. I hope they understand that I have every intention of taking this as far as it will go. :cool:

Sun Tzu 'The art of war'

• 2 weeks later...

complaint form sent of to FOS and copy emailed to Mr Mullins at Firstplus. Not sure if they will investigate due to it being 2004 but have to give it a go before the court route.

:roll:

Sun Tzu 'The art of war'

Hello finlander,

I have spoken to a member of the FOS and he said the FOS would look at complaints within the 6 year Statute so give it a shot.

You can find all the details of the FOS in the links thread in stickies, but if you need more detail just shout I have already got complaints lodged with the ICO, FOS, OFT, FSA, British Bankers Association and yes the Royal Mail for losing 33% of my complaints to the others.

Keep at it and good luck

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

got a letter form FP today saying that they were looking into my complaint again. :)

Sun Tzu 'The art of war'

Let's hope they look a bit harder this time:D

BANK CHARGES

Others

• 2 weeks later...

Well.... FP have written back saying they have looked into my complaint and decided they are still in the right. However as a gesture of good will they will refund 78% of my premium on a 'pro-rata' basis. this comes to £2400 quid according to them!!!! the premium was £5979 so I cant see how that works!!! also they say they are keeping the 22% back for admin and future claims. How? the policy and loan are both paid off!! well as you can imagine Im going to tell them to swivell. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!!!:(

Sun Tzu 'The art of war'

You have started so you will finish:D. They have started to cave in so just keep at them. Maybe you should send them a pocket calculator with your next letter:o

BANK CHARGES

Others

Well.... FP have written back saying they have looked into my complaint and decided they are still in the right. However as a gesture of good will they will refund 78% of my premium on a 'pro-rata' basis. this comes to £2400 quid according to them!!!! the premium was £5979 so I cant see how that works!!! also they say they are keeping the 22% back for admin and future claims. How? the policy and loan are both paid off!! well as you can imagine Im going to tell them to swivell. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!!!:(

No business gives a gesture of good will unless they know they are in the wrong and want you to go away! I'm sure a Judge would see it that way too!

Keep going. IMHO you are more than 80% there :D

------------------------------------------------------------

First Direct - Refund of Bank Charges...... **WON** (Offered full amount of £5200 2 days before court)

Amex - Refund of charges..... **WON** (£330 refunded without much fight)

First Plus PPI - **WON** (Full Refund of over £7000 + Interest)

Norton Finance - Owe me over £6000 for mis-sold PPI - Starting court action in the new year!

Barclaycard PPi - Ongoing (Being complete tos*ers!)

Finlander,

This is standard reply number 4 (lol) as it is word for word what I received from them - except for the amount. It shows how much they have actually read or noticed about your claim that they are keeping monies back for future claims when the loan and the PPI have been settled.

Basically taking as much care with your complaint as they took with looking after our interests at the start of the loan. No wonder no-one is surprised by it.

ok this sent to the nice conmen at Fp today....

Dear Sir,

I have received your companies final response to the above complaint and your offer of a ‘goodwill’ payment of £XXXX.

After considering your offer for a lengthy period (of approx 10 seconds) I wish now to formally refuse that offer. I find the offer, when my original premium was £5979.00p, both derisory and insulting.

When I first started to complain about you company I hoped that you would have shown some sort of honesty in admitting that you had made a mistake in selling this policy and reimbursing my money. However, as seems usual these days with financial institutions, it has not taken long for your company to descend to the moral level of the back street ‘Spiv’.

Let us examine the facts. Whilst selling a policy that was 579 times more expensive than the next best deal you claim that it is not your responsibility to ensure that the product is right for the customer or even that it covers him if he ever had to claim on it. Your reason for this is that you were not regulated at the time. No moral imperative? No sense of professional standards? No sense that you should be abiding by the code that you agreed to be bound by when you joined the CGIS and the FLA?

Instead it appears to be First Plus’s policy that the money is more important than the customer or his needs.

I reject totally you offer.

Previously I delayed my complaint to the FOS after you asked for an opportunity to re-investigate my complaint (what a fool I was).

I have today made a formal complaint to the FOS.

Should this prove unsatisfactory, by that I mean I receive anything less than my premium plus interest amounting to £7467.72p, I will be starting legal action against your company.

I fully intend to expose your sharp business practices to the harsh light of public scrutiny. Your insurance services seem little removed from a protection racket or the cowboy who re-tarmacs old ladies drives. I look forward with relish to asking for full disclosure of those practices including the profit margin on each policy.

As I stated before I have no intention of going away. Your company owes me money and I intend to do some damage to your name in a court of law if necessary to recover it.

Yours truly,

:x how day like dem apples.....

this to the FOS....

our ref

reference

complaint form

Please use this form to tell us about your complaint – so we can see if we’re able to help you.

If you’re not sure about anything – or have any difficulties filling in this form – just phone us on 0845 080 1800.

You can download this form off our website

(Financial Ombudsman Service) to complete

by hand. Or you can fill it in on screen – then print

it off and post it back to us.

If you need information in a different format

(eg Braille, large print etc) or in a different language, or if you have other specific needs, please let us know.

first, please give us your details …and the details of anyone complaining with you

surname

FINLANDER

title MR

title

first name(s)

XXXXX

occupation (if retired, previous occupation)

XXXXXXXXX

date of birth

XX/XX/XXXX

address for

writing to you

(include postcode)

XXXXXX

XXXXX

XXXX

XX

daytime phone

XXXXXXXX

mobile

home phone

XXXXXXXX

email

if you’re complaining on behalf of a business, charity or trust please fill in these details

its full official name

its annual turnover, annual income or net asset value (at the time you first complained) *

£

* We will need to see evidence of this. If it’s over £1 million, sorry, we won’t be able to help you.

For a business – please attach a list of any other businesses that form part of the group and/or a list of the partners (if run as a partnership).

if someone is complaining on your behalf (eg a solicitor or relative) please give us their details

their name

relationship to you

address for

writing to them

(include postcode)

their daytime phone

fax

their email

ref

details of the business you think is responsible for your complaint

their name

FIRSTPLUS Financial Group Plc

their address

(include postcode)

The Avenue Business Park

Pentwyn

Cardiff

CF23 8FF

their phone number

details of the adviser or business who originally sold the product or service

you’re complaining about (if different from the name above)

their name

FIRSTPLUS Financial Group Plc

their address

(include postcode)

The Avenue Business Park

Pentwyn

Cardiff

CF23 8FF

their phone number

the kind of product or service you’re complaining about

please tell us the

name and type of the

product or service

PAYMENT PROTECTION INSURANCE

… and any reference number you have – for example:

your account (or loan/hire agreement) number and

sort code or your policy number or your claim number

Ref ; XXXXXXX Account Number ; XXXXX

please tell us what your complaint is about

1.At no time was I told that PPI could be purchased elsewhere to cover the loan

2. It was not made clear that the insurance was only valid for the first five years of the loan - in fact the first time this became apparent was on receipt of the information requested about the account under the Data Protection Act.

3. I was led to believe that Payment Protection Insurance was compulsory and indeed was misled into thinking that I would stand more chance of getting the loan if I took the Payment Protection Insurance

4. It was not explained to me that there were certain exclusions within the policy that could affect me.

5. The Payment Protection Insurance was added to the loan balance at the outset and at no time was it explained that there were PPI policies where one could pay monthly for substantially lower premiums and which would cover my clients for the whole term of the loan.

6. The terms & conditions of the insurance were not fully explained

7. At the time of taking out the insurance I already had in force, and had for a number of years, a insurance policy from my work to cover me against, accident, illness or death. The agent selling the insurance made no enquiries into this. The agent also made on enquiries into previous medical conditions, which might render the policy, invalid. I have suffered with an injury to my back sustained at work and documented by my doctor.

8. The agent told me that the insurance policy was in fact a very good way of saving, as half the premium would be refunded in five years. He did not explain that this was the term of the insurance. He did not explain that the entire premium was added to the loan and that no refund would be available if settled early. They also misrepresented the ‘saving’ potential as they would pay no interest on the premium but I would have to pay interest to them. This was outrageous miss-representation as this could no way be described as ‘a good way of saving’

9. As a serving XXXXXX it is not possible for me to be made redundant by law. I do not believe that the insurance sold had any relevance to my situation.

10. First plus have failed to provide me with copies of the audiotapes of conversations between their representatives and me. However they have stated in their response that they were not regulated by the FSA at this time and therefore had no need to ask or enquire if the policy was right for my needs or I was disqualified from cover by a previous medical condition. It does however seem that first plus where governed by the CGIS code which does require them to make these enquiries.

11. Despite assuring me that they had listened to the tapes of my conversations with their representatives and that if I required them that I would be provided with a copy by return of post, they have now stated it will take a further 40 days to comply with my request. I believe this is a deliberate attempt to delay and frustrate my complaint.

12. As a member of The Consumer Action Group I have shared my experience with others . It appears that the letters I have received from First Plus are ‘standard’ letters. Although they claim to address my points they are in fact uncannily the same as those sent to other people. This would seem to indicate that their complaints procedure is a sham.

13. As shown in the attached ‘final response’ First Plus have now offered a goodwill sum in order to end this complaint. I believe that this is a derisory sum bearing in mind my premium was £5979.00p. I wish this returned plus interest at 8% a grand total of £7462.72p

If your complaint is about a mortgage endowment, you will need to complete our special mortgage-endowment questionnaire, as well as this standard complaint-form. You can download the special questionnaire off our website – from the

frequently-asked-questions page (FAQs) at Financial Ombudsman Service. Or phone us on 0845 080 1800 for help.

time limits may apply to your complaint so we need to know the following dates

day

month

year

§ When did the advice, transaction or poor service that you’re complaining about take place?

§ When did you first realise there might be a problem?

§ When did you first complain to the business you think is responsible?

just a few more questions

§ Has the business you’re complaining about sent you its final response?

YES * NO

* If you’ve answered YES, please enclose a copy when you send us this form

§ What do you want the business you’re complaining about to do, to put things right for you?

A FULL REFUND OF MY PREMIUM. £5979.00p AND ALL INTREST PAID ON THE ADVANCE OF THAT PREMIUM.

INTEREST OF £ 1488.72p BASED ON 8% THE COUNTY COURT STANDARD RATE.

§ Has there been any court action relating to your complaint

– or is any court action planned?

YES * NO

§ Have you contacted any regulator or other complaints body

about your complaint?

YES * NO

* If you’ve answered YES to either of the two questions above, please give us more details here

please give us any other details that you think will help us understand your complaint

I HAVE WRITTEN A LETTER OF COMPLAINT AND RECEIVED A REPLY FROM FIRSTPLUS REJECTING MY ENTIRE CLAIM. THEY STATE THAT THEY HAVE LISTENED TO THE AUDIO TAPES AND STSTE THE POLICY WAS NOT MIS-SOLD. THEY HAVE ADMITTED THAT NO QUESTIONS WERE ASKED REGARDING WHETHER THE POLICY WAS SUITABLE FOR ME BUT STATE THAT THIA WAS BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT REGULATED BY THE FSA SO DID NOT HAVE TO. THE CGIS CODE THAT THEY BOAST IN THEIR LITRATURE THEY WERE MEMBERS OF STATES THAT THEY DID HAVE TO ENSURE THE POLICY WAS RIGHT FOR ME. I BELIEV THAT AS A SUPPOSED ‘FIT PERSON’ TO HOLD A CREDIT LICENSE THEIR MORALS ARE THAT OF THE BACK STREET SPIV. THIS POLICY WAS PLAINLY MIS-SOLD AND I REQUIRE A FULL REFUND OF MY PREMIUM.

accessibility

Would you like us to adapt the way we communicate with you, or to make any other adjustment (such as writing to you in a language other than English, using TypeTalk etc), in order to meet a specific accessibility or disability need?

YES * NO

* If you’ve answered YES, please give us brief details of how we can help you

finally, please read and sign this declaration

I would like the Financial Ombudsman Service to consider my complaint. I confirm that all the information I have given you is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge.

I understand that:

§ you will need to handle personal details about me – which could include sensitive information – in order to deal with my complaint effectively;

§ you may need to exchange information about my complaint with the business I have complained about and any other relevant organisations;

§ you handle complaints differently from the courts – and you usually settle disputes by phoning and writing to the two sides, not by holding hearings in person;

§ you may publish examples of where things can go wrong, based on real cases,

but you will always respect my privacy and keep my personal information confidential.

sign here You need to sign, even if someone else is complaining on your behalf.

If you’re signing on behalf of a business, please give your job title.

__________________________ ___________ __________________________ ___________

signature date signature date

make sure you have …

ü included everything you want to tell us about

your complaint

ü enclosed a copy of the business’s final response

ü enclosed copies of relevant documents

now please post to …

Financial Ombudsman Service

South Quay Plaza

183 Marsh Wall

London

E14 9SR

phone 0845 080 1800 fax 020 7964 1001 dx 141280 Isle of Dogs 3 for security and training purposes, email [email protected]

we may monitor or record phone calls website Financial Ombudsman Service

We will use the details you give us on this form to see if we can help you with your complaint. But we may need more information from you. And there are rules and restrictions that may apply. If we can’t help you, we will always give you the chance to query anything you don't understand or agree with.

© Financial Ombudsman Service Ltd, September 2007

THIS TIME IT'S WAR.........................:-x

Sun Tzu 'The art of war'

Something makes me think they have annoyed you:D.

I hope they take notice - perhaps you have been a bit 'strong' in places, but all these polite letters get standard responses as you have discovered.

BANK CHARGES

Others

Blimey Finlander, I thought I was in a bad mood.

I do however agree with Goldlady, i'd be reluctant to call Firstplus a "SPIV" when you are asking FOS for their support in a claim. The fact that they are "SPIV's" will be absolutely clear to the FOS, especially as they are going to get my claim in a couple of weeks as well, the way things are going, anyway.

Should we be starting a "STANDARD PARAGRAPHS REFERENCE LIBRARY" just so that we can all respond to firstplus's letter quick and easily.

For Example,

Thank you for your letter of ?? June 2008, the contents of which "PARA 1".

PARA 12, PARA 14, PARA 17, PARA 19.

Yours sincerely.....

Come on, we all get the drift, two to three hundred of us can play at that game as well !!!

HANG ON ! Changed my mind,

Why don't we prepare all fiveletters,

Letter 1, Complaint to Firstplus,

Letter 2, Their standard response,

Letter 3, Rejection of response and further complaint.

Letter 4, Standard Final rejection with BAU Offer as a Gesture of goodwill.

Letter 5, Warning that we are going to FOS/Court

LETTER A

Dear Firstplus,

Please find enclosed letter 1 through 5 detailing the next 2-3 weeks correspondence.

In order to save us all a little time and postage, I've pre-writen your responses, refer letters 2 and 4.

Should you dumbfound me and actualy read my complaint, please forward you cheque by return, alternatively, please sign the attached rejection letters, which I will immediately forward to the FOS.

Lots of Love and Kisses.

A N Other Cagger !!!

Edited by Braveheart Bear
Changed my mind
  • Haha 1

:D I like your style. Save a lot of trees that way.

BANK CHARGES

Others

Dear All

I havent posted on my thread re first plus for a while but just to let you all know we had the same response re the 78% refund and I went back and told them politely no but we would accept it as partial settlement. They basically told me to go away, that it was their final offer so we have sent complaints in respect of both of our first plus PPIs to the ombudsman about 10 days ago and are awaiting a response from them. Will update my thread as soon as I hear anything.

KaneCole

:o Ok perhaps I did lose my temper a bit but it's just so frustrating dealing with these planks.. i will tone it down and post up the latest....:mad:

Sun Tzu 'The art of war'