NatWest are scum! (Allegedly)

forthepeople
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5793 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

12 months ago NatWest removed a default and refunded charges on my girlfriends credit card. They couldn't supply a copy of the original contract for the account, so the default was unforcable.

At the time we were turned down for a fixed-rate mortgage with Halifax and ended up with a tracker mortgage with Platform. Of course, we've been paying over the odds with this mortgage with interest rate rises.

Having complained to NatWest requesting they reimburse us for overpayments due to interest rate rises, they are not communicating with us. They did respond to our complaint initially, sent to them at the end of 2007, but nothing since.

This was sent to cheif exec Fred Goodwin and is being handled by Kay Majid within Group Litigation, so they must acknowledge the seriousness. Their initial response requested a number of things form past statements with Platform, to evidence we had applied to Halifax and been turned down, something our financial advisor has confirmed in writing, of which we sent a copy to them.

It has been over 3 months since we sent this and they have not responded. Calling Kay Majid simply results in her saying we'll recieve a response soon - but we've not. Almost 2 weeks ago I sent a letter saying they have broken FSA guidelines and unless they respond within 2 weeks I will refer the case to the financial ombudsman.

Is this the right thing to do? They owe us around £1,600.

Edited by forthepeople
Had initially stated this was a curent account. It is a credit card.

12 months ago NatWest removed a default and refunded charges on my girlfriends current account. They couldn't supply a copy of the original contract for the account, so the default was unforcable.

For a current account they don't have to have a copy of the original contract. That is only for credit cards, loans and hire purchase.

If its of any use to you, Natwest recently put a late payment marker against our mortgage account, which was a mistake on their behalf and blatantly wrong. They also turned us down for an advance on our mortgage due to their own incorrect information. After a few phone calls and a complaint to Borhamwood got the info removed and got £100 compensation from them. I appreciate your complaint is far more serious and costly, but would think that if you persue it you will get somwhere. Not sure the Ombudsman will be any quicker though. there's better informed people than me who would be able to advise you.

Are you certain that the Natwest default was the reason you were turned down by the Halifax? Have you checked both your credit files to see if anything else is lurking on there? just a thought..

Thanks WendyB. The default was absolutely the reason we were turned down as a credit check was done at application and we passed. The default was registered a month later. Halifax later did another credit check and failed us. This was the only entry on our file within this time span. We've both got very healthy credit ratings, this having been the only negative entry.

I wonder if I should go straight to court instead of the ombudsman as they've already admitted their error (removing the default) and we're just waiting to be compensated accordingly.

Wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on this?

Ok. Spoke with NatWest complaints team to see what the status of our complaint is. They say they cannot find me on their system and no record of any complaint. We are well and truly being messed around and our recorded letters not being replied to.

We spoke to the financial ombudsman and they will get in touch with NatWest on our behalf and send us forms so we can refer it to the ombudsman if they fail to deal.

Have NatWest broken any rules here in that we should be entitled to further compensation? Don't they have to keep account details for a number of years even after account closure?

I think I am right in saying it has to be 7 years. If it were me I would keep all communication to the written word on both sides; that way there is no disagreement as to what are the true facts.

I think I am right in saying it has to be 7 years. If it were me I would keep all communication to the written word on both sides; that way there is no disagreement as to what are the true facts.

Have they infringed some Act by losing/deleting account information? Compensation for this?

Can't believe NW haven't got them after only 2.5 years. I understand companies have to keep them for a minimum of 6 years after your contract (account) has finished. Think it's statutory - to do with Companies Act & Statute of Limitations etc. Maybe check on the provisions of the act?

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.