• Tweets

• Russia’s economy has been cut off from the global financial system - but it is still growing. Why?View the full article
    • Well done. Are you able to tell us more about how it went on the day please? HB
    • when mediation call they will ask the same 3 questions that are in their email you had to accept it going forward. simply state 'i do not have enough information from the claimant to make an informed decision upon mediation so i refuse. end of problem.  
    • Food prices, including a $40 chicken, has stoked fury and calls for big foreign supermarket chains to come to Canada.View the full article
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Civil National Business CEntre Name of the Claimant ? Lowell Portfolio i Ltd How many defendant's  joint or self ? Self   Date of issue –  15 Feb 2024 Particulars of Claim What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim?  The claim is for the sum of £922 due by the Defendant under and agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for a Capital One account with an account reference of [number with 16 digits] The Defendant failed to maintain contractual payments required by the agreement and a Default Notice was served under s.87(1) of the Consumer Credit ACt 1974 which has not been complied with. The debt was legally assigned to the claimant on 16-06-23, notice of which has been given to the defendant. The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of the issue of these proceedings in the sum of £49.15 The Claimant claims the sum of £972 What is the total value of the claim? £1112 Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? I dont know the details of the PAPDC to know if it was pursuant to paragraph 3, but I did receive a Letter of Claim with a questionaire/form to fill. Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Credit Card When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? no Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Online Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ? Yes Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Assigned/purchaser Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? I was aware, I'm not certain I received a 'Notice of Assignment' from Capital One but may have been informed the account had been sold without such a title on the letter? Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Yes Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? Not since the debt purchase, and not from Capital One. Why did you cease payments? I can't remember - it was the tail end of the pandemic and I may not have had enough income to keep up payments - I am self-employed and work in the event industry - at that time. I also had a bank account that didn't allow direct debits and may have just forgotten payments and became annoyed at fines for late payments. What was the date of your last payment? Appears to be 20/4/2022 Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No Here is my Defence: Defence - 1. The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. I have in the past had an agreement with Capital One but do not recognise this specific account number or recollect any outstanding debt and have therefore requested clarification by way of a CPR 31.14 and section 78 request.. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. I am unaware of having been served with a Default Notice pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. I am unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment pursuant to the Law and Property Act 1925 Section 136(1) 5. The Defendant has sent a request by way of a section 78 pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974, for a copy of the agreement, the Claimant has yet to comply and remains in default of said request. 6. A further request has been made via CPR 31.14 to the Claimants solicitor, requesting disclosure of documents on which the Claimant is basing their claim. The Claimant has not complied and to date nothing has been received. 7. It is therefore not accepted with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant and the Claimant is put to strict proof to: a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement and; b) show how the Claimant has reached the amount claimed for and; c) show the nature of the breach and evidence by way of a Default Notice pursuant to sec 88 CCA1974 d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim 8. As per Civil Procedure 16.5 it is expected that the claimants prove the allegation that the money is owed 9. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of section 136 of the Law of Property Act and section 82A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 10. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief. .................. Please note that I had to write a defence quite quickly as I hit the deadline. At the time of writing the defence, I hadn't been able to find correspondence from Capital One, but had since found default letter etc. I submitted CCA request and CPR 31.14. However, I didn't get any proof of postage or use registered post for the CPR (an oversight) but did with the CCA request. I received a pack which included a letter from Overdales, going over the defence I'd filed, as well as letters of Lowells and reprints of letters from Capital One. But I have no idea if this pack is in response to the CCA request or the CPR ! I would have expected two separate responses ... although I do know they are both the same company. Looking over the pack today, and looking through old emails .. I find some discrepancies in the Capital One default letters (notice of default and Claim of default). They are both dated *before* an email I have stating that a default can be avoided. The one single page of agreement sent (so not the full agreement) has a 16 digit number at the top in small print, next to 'Capital One' which corresponds to a number called 'PURN' printed at the top of each of the 10 pages of ins and outs of the account (they're not official statements, but a list of monthly goings) yet no mention anywhere on either of the account number. I cant really scan them at the moment - I can later tomorrow, but that will be after the mediation call I'm sure. I guess I may be on my own for this mediation ... I am not certain the CCA request has been satisfied .. or if the CPR has been . And then I appear to have evidence that the Default notices provided are fabricated ? Yet, I do have (elsewhere ... not at home) Default letters from Capital One I can check ..
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Asset Link/First National Court claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As suggested here is my new post:

I'll try and summarise as best I can.

Back in April I had a court claim from Asset Link/First National for a loan I took in 2002. I got into financial difficulty and my bank (First Direct) and all my direct debits got cancelled.

I left it for 4 months. At which point I could First National and offered them £100 to back date my payments and restart my direct debit to which they said they can't as they have sold the debt on. I left it again and I remortgaged to pay off my debts and get credit cards at a comfortable level.

At this point I thought all was fine and life would go on. However back in April I got a court claim form from Asset Link. I simply answered that I will defend it on the basis I had never heard of them. After that I got a letter saying it was for a loan with First National, all the details were correct at which point my heart sank. I did get calling cards saying 'CAll so and so' with a number but I just assumed it was spam mailings.

At this point I had already filed my defense as I thought it was fraud. I then got a court date and then I sent off a CCA and S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request. I sent the following 5th June.

As
I do not acknowledge
this debt to the above account, I would be grateful if you would send me a copy of this credit agreement and a full breakdown of the account including any interest or charges applied. I understand that under the
Consumer Credit Act 1974 [sections 77-79],
I am entitled to receive a copy of any credit agreement and a statement of account on request. I enclose a payment of £1 which represents the fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

I understand a copy of any credit agreement along with a statement of account should be supplied within
12 working days

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with the request for a copy of the agreement and statement of account under these sections of the Act.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I then got a letter saying they needed proof of my signature. To which I replied and said no they don't. Then 15 working days after the request I got a copy of my original CCA. Not bogus at all. At this point I started panicking more. There was nothing else though. No Default Notice, no Notice of Assignment or proof of them.

So then I discovered looking at other peoples posts about the Default Notice. I then looked into my credit files. One with Experian and the other Equifax. There is no Default recorded by First National. The only defaults are from Asset Link, in brackets First National, in December 2005 and another the day after my CCA request this year, 6th June 2008. First NAtional are not mentioned in any other context. The Asset Link entry entered in December 2005 looks like

Link Financial Alc (First National) (I) / XXXXXXXXX7001

So now I am starting to worry as the court date is 11th August.

Thank you for any help.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an addition. I think I may have got the CCA request and SAR mixed up. Is the CCA request actually the CPR18? This is what I sent a £1 postal order for. So does that mean they still have to provide DN and NOA and proof? So is the SAR just a statement of the account which costs £10?

Thanks.

Would really appreciate some help.

I believe I have to submit anything I have to the court two weeks in advance of the hearing. I don't know what to send.

I looked at the letter sent from Asset Link asking me to create a Tomlin order. On the letter it says they are forwarding all the details I have asked for but still had nothing.

Also can I ask a related question. If I have a joint mortgage but the unsecured debt is in my name can the claimant still claim against the property?

Thanks.

So can i ask , what were the Particulars of claim from the claim form

Knowing Link they most likely didnt sufficiently particularise their claim, nad if you had come here sooner, we most likely could have had their case thrown out for an abuse of the process.

it would be good to know what the defence was that you filed and also what has happened step by step to get you to this date

Thanks. I know, I was doing the usual head in sand trick :-(

The particulars from the N1 CPC form state exactly this:

The Defendant(s) are indebted to the Claimant under the terms of a credit agreement dated --/--/2002 and assigned to the Claimant.

The Agreement is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The agreement provided that interest would be payable before and after a judgment. The right to proceed for subsequent interest is reserved. Default occurred in payment and the loan was called in under S.87

It is signed Asset Link Capital (No1) Ltd. Which is confusing as well as there seems to be different variations.

Unfortunately I panicked and my reply to the claim form literally saying 'I didn't know who these people were'. As I thought it was fraud.

As I had been reading here quite frequently and specifically with Asset Link I then sent the letter as above requesting the CCA, etc. I thought there was no way they'd have it. They did send it saying the rest would follow.

I then got a transfer to my local court and a questionnaire from the court. Asset Link sent me a copy of their questionnaire which said I have no grounds for a defence. Then I recieved a letter from the court with a date of 11 August.

That's about it really. I believed I had sent a cheque to First National early 2006 to settle this as I had settled lots of other accounts at the time but I can't find proof.

I was trying to pick out clues from other posts. For example a recent one stating that in order to issue a NoA it has to be sent recorded. And that I also needed proof of a Default Notice. None of these I have.

I am not at home at the moment to dont have access to the exact wording on the letters. Apart from the claim form I have with me.

Thanks.

Hi,

im afraid they are correct, " i do not know who they are" is not a valid defence in law so we need to get our thinking caps on

Oh heck,

Does the particulars of claim make any reference to who the account was originally with? or any reference to the account number?

also is there any date of default? any date of service etc?

to be honest, i think it may be too late to make an application to the court for an order , ordering them to amend their claim to comply with the CPR and also serve copies of the credit agreement etc.

what is the hearing in two weeks for? is it a final hearing or directions hearing etc, just saying a hearing doesnt help im afraid

Regards

paul

Oh! Now am panicking a bit more.

The particulars of the claim are exactly as written above, part from the date which I crossed. This is from the original blue claim form which is from Northampton (CCBC) and the footer says N1 CPC Claim Form (04/06).

I will get some more details this afternoon. It didn't say final hearing. Is there any hope?

well,

If its a directions hearing, maybe we can ask for the judge to order they supply the agreement etc.

have you had anything from the court which ordered you to disclose documents or supply witness statements?

the order from the court will tell you what the hearing is for so dont panic

Thanks for this.

I just want to make it clear that I do have the *copy* of the agreement I requested and I am not disputing it is mine. I also have a copy of the original. My point being is I don't owe money to Asset Link.

At the time of the claim form I sent the CPR as I thought this was correct procedure. I got the CCA but never recieved anything else when they said they would send it. Surely they have to prove I owe them money. This is why I am trying to go down the route of lack of Default Notice and Notice of Assignment. From little of what I understand something of these is supposed to be sent recorded delivery to prove it was sent.

I appreciate I have slightly messed this up due to my lack of knowledge of the legal process. But this is like me knocking on my next door neighbour's door demanding money for something they know nothing about :-/

This so frustrating and worrying that I am now shaking :-/

I will get more information later.

Thanks again.

Hi there

dont worry, once we get the info we need we can fight this

i went to court recently with another CAGGER (username Manchester1) who had a CCJ against him via asset link, and suffice to say, he doesnt now

so they can be fought,

as for being a martyr saying i dont deny the debt, let me enlighten you for a minute

the law is very clear, the lender has the obligation to supply the agreement in a legible form, especially given they are taking you to court

you do not have to provide the agreement nor do you need to prove your case, they must prove theirs

now, there have been cases which have gone to the House of Lords that have looked at the Credit Agreements and repeatedly the courts have held that, no legible CCA, conforming to the strict rules of the CCA 1974 then no enforceable debt

so can we have a look at the agremeent they sent you? maybe you could upload it in photobucket, remove all the personal details first

you would be surprised how many agreements are completely unenforceable

With regards to the Notice of Assignment, they must serve it on your last known address, so have you moved recently? is there a risk it could have gone to an old address? im just fishing thats all, but the original lender may be able to assign the rights and duties under the agreement to link , it may refer to that in the original agreement if it does then that would mean providing link follow the rules, they may actually own the debt and you may be indebted to them now

Tried scanning but it was barely legible. Will try again later. But it same as the one in this post:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/136720-c-c-turned-up.html

And t&c's on the back. Different numbers though.

Goods/service: 1456.00

Deposit: 200.00

Amount of credit: 1256.00

Protected Payment: 148.72

Total loan facility: 1404.72

monthly interest rate: 1.49%

APR: 20.6%

The agreement I have is completely blank and I can barely make out anything. I can see I signed and it matches the copy.

I have not changed address since this agreement was signed.

Right here's the front and back

ImageShack - Hosting :: pg2kp6.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: pg1bt6.jpg

Here is the Judges order

1) This Claim is allocated to the Small CIaims Track and the parties are referred to

Part 27 ofthe Civil Proced4re Rules and the Practice Direction of that Part for

guidence on how the hearing of the claim wiIl be conducted.

2) The claim wiIl be heard at --------- on a date date and time which is set out on a notice attached to this Order, or

which will be sent to you later. The Court reserves the right to change the place and/or time ofthe hearing

3) From the available papers, it is estimated that the hearing will take one hour. If a

party is aware of a reason why this estimate might be substantially inaccurate, that party must notify the court immediately.

4) The parties are encouraged always to try to settle the case by negotation. The

parties are encouraged to contact each other with a view to trying to settle the

case or narrow the issues. The court must be informed immediately if the case is

settled.

5) The following paragraphs set out the Judge's directions for preparation for the

hearing. Failure to comply with the directions may result in the case having to be

adjourned and the party at fault having to pay costs.

The foIlowing Directions apply to this Claim:

6) Each party must deliver to every other party and to the court office copies of all

documents on which that party intends to rely at the hearing no later than

fourteen days before the hearing.

7) The original documents must be brought to the hearing.

8) The judge may renfuse to consider a document or take it in to account if a copy of

it has not been sent to all parties as required by this Order.

9) Neither party may rely on any report from an expert at the hearing unless

permission has been granted by the court beforehand. Any one wishing to rely on

an expert must write to the court immediately on receipt of this Order and seek

permission giving an explanation why the assistance of an expert is neccessary

10) Any party intending to show a video or DVD, etc. left out as it's irrelevant

1l) Because this Order has been made by the Court without considering

representations from the parties, the parties have the right to apply to have the

order set aside, varied or stayed. A party wishing to make an application must

send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) t o

arrive within seven days of service of this Order.

Thanks.

Hi semyaza

I see pt is on the case, so I will leave details to him.

The agreement you posted is enforceable in that it seems to have all the neceassary bits - your signature, prescribed terms and your rights to cancel. You may have a case because it is not easily legible - I think that is clutching at straws although pt may think differently.

However, to take you to court there are other things they need to have done:

1. they must have sent you a default notice complying with s87 of the CCA 1974. If you have never receieved one you can put them to strict proof that they sent one. If not - no case.

2. If the debt is assigned to Asset Link (rather than them just acting on behalf of First National) then you should also have been sent a notice of assignment. The same applies as in the default notice case.

Edited by steven4064
s85-->s87

Thank you. I was hoping I could go down the lack of Default Notice and Notice of Assignment. I had already requested from these from Asset Link but received nothing even though it said on their letter it would be sent in due course. It is a month since I requested this information.

Just to summarise I have a court hearing on the 11th August but I didn't file a correct defence. Because I didn't know what I was doing and afraid to get help . My defence was 'I have never heard of these people'. Doh! yes I know :-/

But I have seen so much hope on these forums and am hoping I can somehow correct this. I also now have a Barlcay Card/CL Finance/Cohen claim to sort out. Will start a new thread for this and get in early this time.

I could afford to pay that. Would this be able to be claimed back if the case was won and does it give me more time to get a defence together?

I cant seem to find information about this on the hm-courts service website.

You wouldn't be able to claim it back although there have been cases where the court has awarded that back as costs if, for example, the other side is seen as being vexacious or unreasonable.

Ok thanks for the info. So what should I do between now and 11th August? 3 Mondays away :-/

Bearing in mind my poor defence But hoping due to lack of Default and notice of assignment. I am sure I have not had these from First National and my credit file seems to reflect this. From looking around I seem not to be alone with regards to Asset Link.

ONe thing you might get away with is to produce a witness statement based on a pt2537 defence pointing out that you have not receieved either a default notice or notice of assignment (in other words send in what would be your amended defence as a witness statement). Get it in 14 days before the hearing.

Here is part of a pt defence:

The Assignment and Notice of Assignment

28. The claimant cites in their particulars that they have acquired the alleged debt by way of assignment. The defendant denies that notice of assignment as required by section 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925 has been received and the defendant puts the claimant to strict proof that the notice was served in accordance with Section 196 of the Law of Property Act 1925

29. For the avoidance of doubt, section 196 of the Law of Property Act 1925

196. Regulations respecting notices.

- (1) Any notice required or authorised to be served or given by this Act shall be in writing.

and

-(4) Any notice required or authorised by this Act to be served shall also be sufficiently served, if it is sent by post in a registered letter addressed to the lessee, lessor, mortgagee, mortgagor, or other person to be served, by name, at the aforesaid place of abode or business, office, or counting-house, and if that letter is not returned [F1 by the postal operator (within the meaning of the Postal Services Act 2000) concerned] undelivered; and that service shall be deemed to be made at the time at which the registered letter would in the ordinary course be delivered.

30. Therefore the claimant is put to strict proof that the notice of assignment was served in accordance with section 196 as laid out in point 29, should the claimant not be able to discharge the burden of proof in this matter it is averred

31. Further more the defendant requires that the Deed of Assignment be brought before the court for it to be scrutinized and validated as correct

32. In addition, the defendant avers that no default notice has been received in accordance with section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The defendant rejects this assertion

33. Section 87 clearly sets out that a default notice is a prequsite before a creditor can become entitled to take any action in respect of a regulated credit agreement. For the avoidance of doubt I have included the relevant sections of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 below

87. Need for default notice.

- (1) Service of a notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a "default notice ") is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of a regulated agreement,-

(a) to terminate the agreement, or

(b) to demand earlier payment of any sum, or

©to recover possession of any goods or land, or

(d) to treat any right conferred on the debtor or hirer by the agreement as terminated, restricted or deferred, or

(e) to enforce any security.

And further more section 88 states

88. Contents and effect of default notice.

- (1) The default notice must be in the prescribed form and specify-

(a) the nature of the alleged breach;

(b) if the breach is capable of remedy, what action is required to remedy it and the date before which that action is to be taken;

© if the breach is not capable of remedy, the sum (if any) required to be paid as compensation for the breach, and the date before which it is to be paid.

(2) A date specified under subsection (1) must not be less than seven days after the date of service of the default notice, and the creditor or owner shall not take action such as is mentioned in section 87(1) before the date so specified or (if no requirement is made under subsection (1)) before those seven days have elapsed.

(3) The default notice must not treat as a breach failure to comply with a provision of the agreement which becomes operative only on breach of some other provision, but if the breach of that other provision is not duly remedied or compensation demanded under subsection (1) is not duly paid, or (where no requirement is made under subsection (1)) if the seven days mentioned in subsection (2) have elapsed, the creditor or owner may treat the failure as a breach and section 87(1) shall not apply to it.

(4) The default notice must contain information in the prescribed terms about the consequences of failure to comply with it.

(5) A default notice making a requirement under subsection (1) may include a provision for the taking of action such as is mentioned in section 87(1) at any time after the restriction imposed by subsection (2) will cease, together with a statement that the provision will be ineffective if the breach is duly remedied or the compensation duly paid.

34. Therefore the claimants statement that service of a default notice is not required is clearly in error of law and the above sections of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 clearly sets out that service is a requirement and the defendant puts the claimant to strict proof that a default notice which is fully compliant with the requirements of the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) as to its form and contents, was served upon the defendant

35. The case of Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain & Co - [1998] All ER (D) 339 sets out the importance of a valid default notice and confirms the consequences of non-compliance. Therefore if the claimant cannot produce proof that a compliant default notice has been served, the defendant requests that the court strike out the claimants claim on the grounds of having no reasonable prospect of success especially when considering points 4,5 & 6 above.

Obviously it needs some editing and to be put in the form of a witness statement.

Edited by steven4064

I really appreciate that. However sorry for sounding stupid but I am not sure what I need to do to make it a witness statement. Am I the witness? Does that go straight to the court?

is that 14 working days. If I get it off tomorrow then it will be just on time.

Also do I have to say anything like "Because I am such a plebb I wasn't sure what to do initially"? but not quite in those words :-)

Edited by semyaza
small addition

You are the witness and you are witness to the fact that they didn't send a default notice or notice of assignment contrary to teh legislation that you referenece. You need to send it as a document you intend to rely on in court - so you need to meet whatever timescale the court set.

I'll see if I can rewrite it.

What about this

IN THE XXXXXXXX COUNTY COURT

CLAIM NUMBER XXXX

BETWEEN

ASSET LINK LIMITED - CLAIMANT

AND

SEMYAZA - DEFENDANT

----------------------------------

WITNESS STATEMENT

----------------------------------

1. I xxxxxxxxx of xxxxxxxxxxxxx am the defendant in this action and make the following statement .

2. Except where otherwise mentioned in this witness statement, I neither admit nor deny any allegation made in the claimants Particulars of Claim and put the claimant to strict proof thereof.

The Assignment and Notice of Assignment

3. The claimant cites in their particulars of calim that they have acquired the alleged debt by way of assignment. The defendant denies that notice of assignment as required by section 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925 has been received and the defendant puts the claimant to strict proof that the notice was served in accordance with Section 196 of the Law of Property Act 1925.

4. For the avoidance of doubt, section 196 of the Law of Property Act 1925 states:

196. Regulations respecting notices.

- (1) Any notice required or authorised to be served or given by this Act shall be in writing.

and

-(4) Any notice required or authorised by this Act to be served shall also be sufficiently served, if it is sent by post in a registered letter addressed to the lessee, lessor, mortgagee, mortgagor, or other person to be served, by name, at the aforesaid place of abode or business, office, or counting-house, and if that letter is not returned [F1 by the postal operator (within the meaning of the Postal Services Act 2000) concerned] undelivered; and that service shall be deemed to be made at the time at which the registered letter would in the ordinary course be delivered.

5. The defendant denies that notice of assignment as required by section 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925 has been received and the defendant puts the claimant to strict proof thereof. Furthermore the defendant requires that the Deed of Assignment be brought before the court for it to be scrutinized and validated as correct.

Default Notice

6. In its particulars of claim, the Claimant states that the account was defaulted and that the loan was called in under S.87 of the Consumer Credit act 1974. The defendant denies that any default notice has been received in accordance with section 87(1) of Act.

7. Section 87 clearly sets out that a default notice is a perquisite before a creditor can become entitled to take any action in respect of a regulated credit agreement. For the avoidance of doubt I have included the relevant sections of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 below:

87. Need for default notice.

- (1) Service of a notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a "default notice ") is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of a regulated agreement,-

(a) to terminate the agreement, or

(b) to demand earlier payment of any sum, or

©to recover possession of any goods or land, or

(d) to treat any right conferred on the debtor or hirer by the agreement as terminated, restricted or deferred, or

(e) to enforce any security.

8. Furthermore section 88 states:

88. Contents and effect of default notice.

- (1) The default notice must be in the prescribed form and specify-

(a) the nature of the alleged breach;

(b) if the breach is capable of remedy, what action is required to remedy it and the date before which that action is to be taken;

© if the breach is not capable of remedy, the sum (if any) required to be paid as compensation for the breach, and the date before which it is to be paid.

(2) A date specified under subsection (1) must not be less than seven days after the date of service of the default notice, and the creditor or owner shall not take action such as is mentioned in section 87(1) before the date so specified or (if no requirement is made under subsection (1)) before those seven days have elapsed.

(3) The default notice must not treat as a breach failure to comply with a provision of the agreement which becomes operative only on breach of some other provision, but if the breach of that other provision is not duly remedied or compensation demanded under subsection (1) is not duly paid, or (where no requirement is made under subsection (1)) if the seven days mentioned in subsection (2) have elapsed, the creditor or owner may treat the failure as a breach and section 87(1) shall not apply to it.

(4) The default notice must contain information in the prescribed terms about the consequences of failure to comply with it.

(5) A default notice making a requirement under subsection (1) may include a provision for the taking of action such as is mentioned in section 87(1) at any time after the restriction imposed by subsection (2) will cease, together with a statement that the provision will be ineffective if the breach is duly remedied or the compensation duly paid.

9. The defendant avers that no such Default Notice was received prior to the current action. The above sections of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 clearly set out that service is a requirement and the defendant puts the claimant to strict proof that a default notice which is fully compliant with the requirements of the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) as to its form and contents, was served upon the defendant.

10. The case of Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain & Co - [1998] All ER (D) 339 sets out the importance of a valid default notice and confirms the consequences of non-compliance. Therefore if the claimant cannot produce proof that a compliant default notice has been served, the defendant respectfully requests that the court strike out the claimants claim under CPR Part 3.4(2)(a) on the grounds of having no reasonable prospect of success.

Statement of Truth

I XXXXXXXX, believe the above statement to be true and factual

Signed .....................

Dated this XX th day of XXXXX 2008.

Edited by steven4064
Formatting
  • Haha 1