• Tweets

• Just a typo change that I'd make for the last line. Maybe also add something that says "I assume you will be fully aware that you cannot rely on a clause of a contract that you do not produce."
    • Hello, Firstly, and most importantly I am sorry for your loss. I would go back to the bank with the death certificate and ask them to step in. Remind them firmly but politely that there is no limit for DD claims   Please let us know how you get on.
    • My wife is the named person to his bank account with him having Dementia being his daughter (I say named person she still is but he recently passed away and the deputyship application has now being stopped by the solicitor as it's no longer needed) We've only just got the Death Certificate so the bank will be the next step informing them. She went to the bank and explained the situation but even being his named person the bank said she didn't have the power to stop DD without any legal documents (virgin money) was the bank. She could have copies of bank statements that was about it.
    • I see you said you tried to stop the DD but it seems that didn't work. May I please ask why that didn't work? You should be asking your bank to cancel the DD and I don't see why they would have objected, hopefully you can clarify this. I agree that you should be making a claim here against your bank and ask them for a DD refund. There is no timeframes for this.
    • JK: Yeah That's correct. We left rent payment coming out of his bank account from January 2023 - August 2023 until we could find somewhere to sort out his belongings which was fine. I tried to give notice a few times from August 2023 asking for advice from Sanctuary housing how we went about this explaining his condition and that he was in a Nursing home from December 2022. I explained we don't have any legal powers to his account like POT but were in the process of going for Deputyship and that I was the named person to act on his behalf to speak with Santuary housing. I said we could provide details of his condition and proof he was now in a nursing home with date he moved in. This went ignored despite repeated attempts to contact them until a housing manager contacted us end of February 2024 and notice was finally accepted with his tenancy coming to an end March 22 2024. Although they have continued to take rental payments for the flat despite someone else living in it from the 1st April. I wasn't aware payments were still being taken till I checked his May banks statements. I had asked them to back date rental payments to August 2023 when I gave notice rather than just giving notice in March 2024 but they've ignored that bit. I don't see why they shouldn't give it back they've taken money they shouldn't have. Thanks DX, I wasn't aware we could do that for that length of time. I'll ask my wife to check with the bank this week
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

ALUMB05 vs HBOS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have just received a second letter back from HBOS with the usual stuff telling me that they are unhappy that I have not accepted their offer of £417.00 and that if I’m unhappy I can refer my concerns to the Financial Ombudsman Service. I have read on a few posts that this is just standard but I just wanted to confirm if I should now wait until the 14 days have expired since I sent my second letter or if I should just start court proceedings now (as they have already replied to say they will not pay me the full amount of charges). I would also like to know if anyone has ever failed in getting their charges back. I've not seen a post for a failed attempt and I don't want to be the first!! :o Thanks very much.

Hi,

You must wait the 14 days before sending your LBA and another 14 days before you start the court action. The reason for this is that if it does go to court the judge would not find in your favour if you hadn't given a reasonable amount of time at each stage. 14 days is the amount of time deemed reasonable. As far as I'm aware no one has failed if you follow the correct protocol but you must make sure you read lots on this site so you're really sure of the procedures. It is relatively simple as everything you need to know is on the site. I also purchased the self help kit on Small Claims which also gives all the procedure. It's a good idea to register the mail you send to the bank so you could prove to the court if necessary that the letter was received.

Regards,

David

Thanks for the quick response. I have already sent out my initial letter and also my 'letter before action'. Unfortunately i did not send them recorded delivery but they have both been responded to from HBOS so hopefully that will be proof enough. It looks like i have been a little slack though as i have just checked the dates on my letters and i sent my 'letter before action' on 3/11/06 and they responded 23/11/06 so i'm a little behind on the 14 days that i told them before i would file a court case against them. Will this be a major problem?

No problem at all! You've been even more reasonable by giving them longer to respond!! You're ready for your MCOL now.

Go get them tiger!

A D

• Haha 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Another charge by the Bank?"

1st Claim (Current account)

30/11/06 WON! £3146.41

2nd Claim (Mortgage charges)

27/3/07 WON! - £277

3rd Claim (Credit card charges)

14/5/07 WON! £300

4th Claim (Old account 97-99 £444)

20/4/07 Prelim sent

9/5/07 LBA sent

Can't remember now but I WON!!!

My current thread - An A-Z - My previous saga

IF THIS HAS HELPED PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES - THANK YOU.

It looks like it is me that messed up because i copied HBOS's address from my first letter and i think i must of copied the date also (i was sure i didn't send the second one so long ago!! :rolleyes: ). I actually sent my second letter on 21/11/06 and they responded to that on 23/11/06 so they do have some time left in the 14 days. The trouble is now that the second letter is dated wrong, hopefully that won't be a major issue though, any thoughts?? Should i send a third letter and do as 'bottomburp' has suggested -

"You can write again to HBOS, if you want, and tell them that you've received their offer but that you want full settlement thank you very much. Remind them that they have until x date (the fifteenth day after the date on your LBA) to make the full settlement, failing which you will be starting court proceedings. You could also remind them that when they loose they will have to pay for the court proceedings and legal costs."

Thanks again for all the responses :)

I would think that sending them a letter clarifying the current situation

ie no thanks, pay up by ... or else court on such and such a date would be 'reasonable'.

Then they cannot claim they were mistaken in their interpretation of dates etc and are fully aware of YOUR timetable.

Then when you do go to court claim that 32p stamp back too!

A D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Another charge by the Bank?"

1st Claim (Current account)

30/11/06 WON! £3146.41

2nd Claim (Mortgage charges)

27/3/07 WON! - £277

3rd Claim (Credit card charges)

14/5/07 WON! £300

4th Claim (Old account 97-99 £444)

20/4/07 Prelim sent

9/5/07 LBA sent

Can't remember now but I WON!!!

My current thread - An A-Z - My previous saga

IF THIS HAS HELPED PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES - THANK YOU.

Hi

Here is my third letter, does this look OK? I have already told them it will be 14 days (in my previous letter) so i've just given them the date in this letter when i will be starting court proceedings.

Thank you again for your recent offer of £417 as a gesture of goodwill. As I stated in previous correspondence (mistakenly dated 3/11/06 but actually sent 21/11/06), the regime of 'fees' which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would again like to draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

To confirm my previous communication, you have taken £708.00 plus £33.48 which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £741.48. I have attached another copy of the schedule of the charges which I am claiming.

I require repayment in full of this money. I would like to remind you that you have until December 6th, 2006 to make the full settlement and failing this I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount, plus interest, plus my court proceedings and legal costs and without further notice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks everyone for your help with this, much appreciated :)

I have now started the claim process and the Halifax have come back with an offer of the full amount but minus the interest and minus my costs for filing the claim. Do you think they are clmping down on things now and starting to challange or should i go back to them and ask for it all. The letter has given me a number to call, should i call this and tell them no, i want it all or respond with a letter? I have 14 days to accept their offer so i don't want to miss out. My gut feeling says they are just trying anything not to give me the full amount and if i refuse they will cave and pay up but i wanted to make sure. Any thought appreciated.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a call because it was after the deadline that they offered me the full amount minus interest/costs. The only thing is that this isn't my account, i'm doing it for my Girlfriend so maybe they won't speak to me. I'll just make sure she is there so that she can authorise anything and hopefully that will be OK.

Are they aware that you have started the claim process? If they are not then that would explain why they are offering the lesser amount. You need to contact them and explain that the claim had already been issued before their offer and therefore the interest and court fees need to be added to their offer for you to withdraw your claim.

David

• Haha 1

Hi

Phoned the Halifax this morning. I now have about 5 days to to acccept their offer. I spoke to them and everything was very plesant and explained the i had unfortunately begun court precedings against them so their offer of the full amount minus the interest and court cost would not be accepted. Their response was that it is their policy to only offer what the full amount is minus interest and court costs. He didn't seem like he wanted to budge even after i told him that i have read a lot of forums on this site that say the payup in full before it gets to court. Should i keep it going and write them an official letter saying that i am not accepting or do you think they are finally finding ways around paying out in full?

Call their legal department and explain it again, that they made the offer after you had filed in court, so therefore you have inucrred additional costs which you require them to refund in order to reach a settlement.

If you've filed at court then they had 14 days in which to file a defence, if they've not done that within the timescale then that's their hard luck, they'll have to pay. Might be worth checking with the court before opening fire on this.

Hope you get a result.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Hi

I have today received a letter from the court to say that The Halifax "INTEND TO DEFEND ALL OF THIS CLAIM" and that they have 28 days from the date of service of the claim to file a defence (11 Dec). Does this mean they are going to fight this in court or are they just trying to frighten me? Please let me know if you think they will go all the way as i still have a few days to accept their offer of Full Payment minu court costs and interest.

Thanks

Aaron

They always say they will defend all of the claim, it's just standard procedure for them.

Sit tight and wait, you should get your money back any time now.

If you are worried then call the person who sent your offer letter and ask them to check the status of your claim. If it's in the Legal department then chances are they'll already be sorting out how to pay you.

Bearing in mind it's the last working day before the holidays, even at Banks, it might be worth calling Rachel Hinchcliffe directly. I'm sure I've seen threads with her phone number in.

DON'T accept anything less than what you ask for, you've had to pay court costs and they are aware of that fact - make sure you get it back.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a call because it was after the deadline that they offered me the full amount minus interest/costs. The only thing is that this isn't my account, i'm doing it for my Girlfriend so maybe they won't speak to me. I'll just make sure she is there so that she can authorise anything and hopefully that will be OK.

Exactly the same thing has happened to me and I dont quite know how to go forward...

I filed on 18th December. Halifax wrote me a letter dated the same date which I received today.

They offered me full payment minus all interest etc.

Including interest and court costs - I'd be down by £120 if I accept full and final payment...

Let us know how yours progress. I'm not too keen on calling them, but looks like if I'll have to!

17 November - Prelimanary letter

25 November - Confirmation of receipt from Halifax

29 November - letter from Halifax Goodwill gesture £318 out of £408 (original claim).

6 December - Rejection/LBA Letter sent

18 December Halifax letter offering £408

18 December - MCOL completed - claiming interest and costs £523

28 December - Won! Money in account!

I will call her tomorrow. I did call and speak to a bloke today though who said that there was nothing extra they could do and that full cost minus interest and court costs was their policy.

Thanks

Aaron

Looks like their policy isn't quite right yet - maybe they are agreeing to the full amount claimed, but if you've incurred additional costs by filing at the court, because they were not quick enough to see sense and repay the full amount of your claim, then they are going to have to allow for the court fee, otherwise you're out of pocket.

As my own case didn't reach that stage I can't really add much more. I think my own policy is to advise people to try and settle before filing at court. If it's gone to that stage then the only other option is to sit it out and wait for them to pay up just before the court timescale ends...?

They always say that it is not viable for them to defend in court, due to the costs involved, and everyone is waiting for one of these cases to go before a judge - they're not going to let that happen now they've paid so many people out as all of those cases could be quoted in court.

WON - Got the lot back or at least they have said they will pay everything back and they made a mistake on their letter saying that the court costs were £120 but they were only £80, however, the total they quoted was still only with the added £80, not £120! I suppose i could argue this out with them also but i'm happy enough and i think it'd be more hastle than it's worth. Thanks everyone for your help. Think i'll be opening a new post in the near future for a business account. The "FRIENDLY and HELPFULL" Business Advisors at Barclays told the other half that the would help them sort out her account going into the red and she really put a lot of effort into getting everything going again and as soon as she had managed to just get back into the black they charged her about £500!!! She has now had to close the business!! Thanks Barclays!!

Once again, thanks very much for all the help and advice.

Congratulations - all that worrying, for nothing, lol...:)

17 November - Prelimanary letter

25 November - Confirmation of receipt from Halifax

29 November - letter from Halifax Goodwill gesture £318 out of £408 (original claim).

6 December - Rejection/LBA Letter sent

18 December Halifax letter offering £408

18 December - MCOL completed - claiming interest and costs £523

28 December - Won! Money in account!