bgqs v Halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Okay, I issued my SAR and have recieved a list of charges (not statements) amounting to £336.00 :)

I was simply going to issue my Prelim letter but there is one problem. Halifax have not given me details of interest that has been charged and I want to claim contractual interest on this amount. Is this still possible ?

Can I apply a notional % of interest to my claim pre-court in lieu of the 8% statutory interest.

I have done a lot of reading on this but dont really understand the best method to take considering I have not been given information of interest deducted.

Claims:

bgqs v Barclays (Claim No.1) - Claim Issued 16/3/07 Await Defence to be Entered - Data Protection Act Non-Compliance - *WON

bgqs v Barclays (Claim No.2) - Prelim Letter Sent (Charges + s.68 Interest) - 16/3/07 - *WON

bgqs v Halifax - Prelim Letter Sent (Charges +C.I Interest) - 16/3/07 - *WON

*Paid Deposit on New House with my Winnings !

I am looking at it another way. Here are the figures:

If I claim Statutory Interest (When claim is filed in Small Claims), I will be entitled to 8% to be added to the claim figure.

Eg. £336 + £138.47 = £474.47

However, if I opt to apply for the contractual daily rate of 0.16p (18.9% AER) to the claim value of £338 and advise them of this in my Prelim Letter & LBA, then the figures work out to be as follows based on when the charges were deducted:

Eg. £336 + £484.58 = £820.58

I know it is questionable whether compound interest would be deemed satisfactory by a judge but if I could provide evidence of previous claims that were calculated using this method, then surely it would go in my favour.

???

Claims:

bgqs v Barclays (Claim No.1) - Claim Issued 16/3/07 Await Defence to be Entered - Data Protection Act Non-Compliance - *WON

bgqs v Barclays (Claim No.2) - Prelim Letter Sent (Charges + s.68 Interest) - 16/3/07 - *WON

As I best going for the contractual interest method ?? Anyone ? Sorry to push but I want to send my prelim letter tomorrow :)

Claims:

Okay contractual interest method being used....Total claim is:

I calculate that, as at today’s date, you have taken a total of £280.00. In addition, I also claim Contractual Interest (compounded) under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity in our contract and as such, enclose a summary of charges and interest with this letter for your information.

As Halifax PLC has taken unlawful charges from my account, this constitutes unauthorised borrowing – thus, the rate of Contractual Interest used is the bank’s unauthorised borrowing rate.

The standard rate of unauthorised borrowing set by Halifax PLC is 29.8% EAR (see Halifax PLC Current Interest Rates), therefore this rate is added to the above amount and will continue to accrue (at a rate of 0.20p per day) until this claim is settled. I calculate the Contractual Interest element at £778.61 (to 16th March 2007).

The total amount claimed including contractual interest is £1,058.61.

Let the good times roll :)

Claims:

• 2 weeks later...

LBA being posted Monday 26th March 2007.

Claims:

• 2 weeks later...

N1 Being Sent Sat 7th April :D

Claims:

• 4 weeks later...

I have received an offer from Halifax in the order of £517.98. The amount of interest has been recalculated to £117.98 rather that the full amount of contractual interest claimed...

They have advised that if the offer is not acceptable, then they will enter their defence....are they bluffing ?

They have said they will refund the charges, an element of calculated interested and incurred court fees...however, this is some £660 short of my claim valued which included contractual interest...

Should I refuse their offer ?

Claims:

• 4 weeks later...

I have partially accepted the offer from the Halifax and requested to have a judgement in default made for the balance.

However, Halifax have now entered a defence and I have received an AQ to complete...

Should I go for the Contractual Interest balance ??? What is the chance of Halifax defending this one ?

Claims:

I have partially accepted the offer from the Halifax and requested to have a judgement in default made for the balance.

However, Halifax have now entered a defence and I have received an AQ to complete...

Should I go for the Contractual Interest balance ??? What is the chance of Halifax defending this one ?

I need advice on this one asap...thanks

Claims:

They have recently thrown a case out (http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank-bank-scotland/11164-cank-halifax-9.html#post847697)

This guy was in the same position as you. He had won his claim, and was going after the CI.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Thanks. I did read this thread but his claim was pre-6 years so it may have failed on the limitations alone ?

Claims:

As sea-sidelady rightly says canks case was lost, right enough to say it was over the 6 years also and it may have been any or both that swung it but it was lost which dosent give much encouragement.

Sorry i cant say YES/NO but that choice is yours based on what you have read within the forum and i must admit there isnt much there that would make me pursue the CI especially as it is the CI alone that you are chasing.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-if-successes/18017-me-helifax.html have a read of this, if you are claiming CCI you should reject any offer to keep your claim intact, I see you have already accepted a partial offer and now it is really up to you if you continue for contractual alone, the link I have posted for you should help.

Okay decision made....I dont want to risk paying £100 for the allocation questionnaire and not being able to get the money recovered...I will tell the court that the claim is settled.

Thanks all...:D

Claims: